Best bang for $ digitals, just asking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's just a camera, right?

It's not essential to the audio or other functions, I'll assume/hope?
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Re: It's just a camera, right?

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
      It's not essential to the audio or other functions, I'll assume/hope?
      The camera? If you don't have one it won't affect anything else.
      What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Re: Best bang for $ digitals, just asking

Though I haven't been there myself, I've heard SaveCo is also a good place to find discount electronics. About a month ago they had refurbished Canon T1i's on sale for a few hundred dollars off of retail price (not as good a deal as the Costco one StinkyTheGrump mentioned). No website, so you have to show up in person to see which deals they have.

Originally posted by musubi View Post
        I've gone from old school rangefinders to film SLRs to digital P&S, now starting to think about my first digital SLR.
        Cool. I've never used a rangefinder yet. I hear the viewfinders are large and bright. I like how discrete the camera is. It's difficult to go unnoticed, when you're pointing a honkin DSLR are people. How do you like rangefinders, compared to SLRs?

Leica just announced the M9. It's a full frame 35mm digital rangefinder. Assuming you don't mind dropping $7K ;_D

Originally posted by StinkyTheGrump View Post
        I have a very nice 6" aperture 1500mm focal length telescope that I can use as a telephoto lens which is influencing my decision to get a dslr.
        Cool. Are you into astrophotography (I hear it's tough), or do you train your telescope on more terrestrial things?
        "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
        "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
        "
        Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
          Cool. Are you into astrophotography (I hear it's tough), or do you train your telescope on more terrestrial things?
          I want to get into astrophotography and more into amateur photography. Astrophotography can get *extremely* expensive and complicated and the camera is not even the most expensive part. I would probably just do some moon shots/videos and if I really get into it get a few filters to do some deep space stuff...but then I have to upgrade my mount

I have a great view of Pearl Harbor so I do plan on doing some terrestrial shots as well. Once I get a camera and have it all set up I'll post some pics!
          What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

For $50 more, the dual core Compaq CQ60-421NR with 320 gb seems an even better deal.

Comment

You might have too. Checking the Wal-Mart and Best Buy web sites on Wednesday made no mention of the Compaq CQ60-419WM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                Can the military PX be a good place to shop for wide selections and cheaper deals?
                In my experience this is definitely not the place to find deals on electronics. If only the prices here were comparably low to how they are for groceries at the Commissary...I'd have every gadget known to man

Comment

I was just told the Canon T1i's for sale at SaveCo (the only two are gone now) went for $625 for just the camera body.

Originally posted by StinkyTheGrump View Post
                  the camera is not even the most expensive part
                  Is the tripod and some sort of tracking system the most expensive part? I assume a steady base is important.

I have a great view of Pearl Harbor so I do plan on doing some terrestrial shots as well. Once I get a camera and have it all set up I'll post some pics!
                  Cool! I'm looking forward to seeing how far your telescope can reach out towards that floating "golf ball".
                  "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                  "

Comment

I was just told the Canon T1i's for sale at SaveCo (the only two are gone now) went for $625 for just the camera body.

Is the tripod and some sort of tracking system the most expensive part? I assume a steady base is important.
                    That's a great deal if that's not used!

Yep. Say you have $3000 for a budget. Spend 1500 on a mount and tracking system, 700 on the optical tube assembly, 400 on a used camera, and the rest on misc accessories.

Comment

Re: Digital rangefinder

Leica just announced the M9. It's a full frame 35mm digital rangefinder. Assuming you don't mind dropping $7K ;_D
                      I would have thought "digital rangefinder" to be an oxymoron, didn't realize Leica was still making rangefinders! Your M9 link was very interesting...

Cool. I've never used a rangefinder yet. I hear the viewfinders are large and bright. I like how discrete the camera is. It's difficult to go unnoticed, when you're pointing a honkin DSLR are people. How do you like rangefinders, compared to SLRs?
                      I do think my photography was much more mindful & "technically intuitive" during the "RF" days. Got pretty good at gauging quality of light by eye rather than metering, & would know pretty much what f-stops & shutter speeds would be needed to deliver the image results I wanted. And yeah, the RFs were much more compact than any of the SLRs.

Downside was whenever I screwed up the technical calculations in my mind vs. viewing thru the lens (WYSIWYG, e.g. depth of field). And limited lens length... I think my longest RF lens was only 135mm.

If I did have $7K to drop on *toys*, though... the Leica M9 would be quite tempting...
                      To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Comment

Kden, my homework tells me the best bang for $ winners (so far...) are -
                        Laptop - HP Compaq CQ60Z = $450
                        Camera - (DSLR) - Nikon D3000 = $450
                        '' - (P&S) - Nikon Coolpix L20 = $80
                        Field recorder - Edirol R-09HR = $300
                        Last edited by Ron Whitfield; September 16, 2009, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Nice price on the D3000. Where did you see that offer? You might want to check to see if it's an authorized Nikon dealer (important when it comes to warranty coverage). If it's a gray market item, then you'll want to research what repair options / costs come with that.
                          "

Comment

Those were mostly lowball 'buy it now' Ebay references, but combined with a fuller net review I gave it fair market 'shoot for' pricing.

That basic Nikon @ under $500 is a great deal it seems.

W/Compaq purchase, make sure the AC/battery cord is included. It does come new with this computer.

Anybody have a line on best buy camcorders?
                            Last edited by Ron Whitfield; September 16, 2009, 06:42 PM.

Comment

The HP DV7-1448DX laptop w/17" for $530 is the new pound for pound champ. I'm getting one tonite!

Comment

Did you pick up that HP, Ron?
                                Does anyone have a DSLR that shoots HD video that they'd like to recommend?

Comment

Working...
                                X