First Kolea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kolea sightings

I saw one last week Monday morning at Washington Intermediate (one of two that make this territory their home). That would be December 4. That's pretty early. And this one (a female) was very skinny. I also saw another one at Ala Moana park yesterday during my morning run ... but only one. Most of them have yet to return.

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
      i was going to post in the, "best part of today" thread about our first sighting this morning of our resident kolea.
      some of you have named your koleas. mine's a girl. i'll have to come up with a cute name.
      "chaos reigns within.
      reflect, repent and reboot.
      order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
        That would be December 4. That's pretty early.
        Ooops! I meant August 4. That would have made it very, very late. (Why was I thinking December?)

Comment

Well I am still waiting! We have lots and lots of them around here and none yet. Maybe today when I'm out on the morning routine walk with Manele & Koele I'll finally spot at least one!
          Keeping my fingers crossed!

Comment

Re: First Kolea

Just saw a Kolea at Ala Moana Park this afternoon during my run. Very skinny. I wonder if she came in on the back of Felicia.

Comment

* bump *

Nice article at this link in today's Advertiser.
              I've been noticing that my local kolea have been getting their 'tuxedos' on and getting fat and sassy for their journey back to the Arctic Circle. As the article points out, roughly 90% of the birds will leave about one week from today, around April 25. They'll be back in August.
              One more thing from that article:

"From 7 to 8:30 p.m. on April 26, kōlea expert Wally Johnson will be giving a lecture, "Where Did the Kolea Go?," at Windward Community College, Hale 'Akoakoa, Room 105. The lecture is hosted by the Sierra Club, the Hawaii Audubon Society and Windward Community College."

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Thanks for the heads-up. That's a crazy busy week for me, but I'm going to try to make it.
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Me too! I heard about this while at the Town 5th Birthday party and then came home and read the paper. Sounds like a great presentation.

Comment

Kolea sightings

I live across the street from a large park, north of Wahiawa. Our plovers left at the end of April as usual. Strangest thing - two plovers appeared back in the park this afternoon. One in tuxedo, one not - I assume it's a pair but don't know who to ask with Bob Krauss gone. But they were definitely together, which is not typical.

I'm really enjoying watching them this afternoon but am a little concerned. They've been gone for three weeks but are back? Maybe they will stay and keep us entertained for the summer also.

Comment

Sometimes the younger ones decide not to make the trip if they haven't built up enough fat. Since the birds have certain departure points from which they leave in groups after assembling, maybe they just hung out with their buddies for a few days before deciding not to make the flight. Keep us posted!
                      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

* bump *

I just now saw the first one of the season. HOORAY!!!

Comment

Awwww man. I haven't seen one yet, but it saddens me a bit when the first ones show up. It means school's about to start!
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Saw my first one on August 15th on Schofield as we drove by.

Another flew over H2 yesterday.

Shoots, Lika, you too fast!

Comment

Seen one today on the Honolulu Community College campus.

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
                                Shoots, Lika, you too fast!
                                I take it you're an ex-girlfriend of mine.
                                But seriously. There's a large lawn right outside my office, and there are two kolea hanging out there together. Kinda unusual. They usually seem to be territorial and I don't recall seeing two hanging out in the same area before.
                                Scriv, you seen your first one yet?

Comment

Working...
                                X