Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boot Camp: Macs do Windows, Too

Originally posted by mel

Well we can see who all the Mac haters are on this board.
    I think we can see who has consistently shown himself to have a persecution complex. As a moderator, you should be ashamed of yourself for attempting to bait people with that comment. Show me where in my post did I even allude to being anti-Mac? All I did was point out a flaw that had been found, and therefore you decide to openly call me a Mac hater? Tsk tsk.

It just so happens that I love Macs, but I don't own one because I can't afford one.

Comment

Did I point specifically at you Lurkah? I am just speaking in generalities since a lot of Windows users do not like Macs. Certainly by your post you are pointing to a flaw that is being documented, and I commented that beta users should be careful if they want to avoid bad mantra on their Macs.

The Mac vs. Windows, Windows vs. Mac thing has been going on since the mid 1980s at least. Don't feel personally offended by my Mac vs. Windows ranting.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel

Did I point specifically at you Lurkah?
        1. The post that preceded mine occurred a week ago.
        2. After I posted, you followed up right away with that negative comment.
        3. Yes, I think you pointed specifically at me, and also perhaps at Miulang.

You can play all the transparent word games you want by yourself, Mel.

Moving on...

Comment

Whatever... move on. That is good. Macs are still good too.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

So, does anyone know if its available at the Apple store at Ala Moana?

I'm really curious on how this works and how the machine actually performs.
            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
              So, does anyone know if its available at the Apple store at Ala Moana?

I'm really curious on how this works and how the machine actually performs.
              Well, as the boot camp docs say, apple doesn't provide any support for this beta.

Showing it off in the store may give customers the impression that the genius bar can help you troubleshoot windows problems.

I can tell you that it performs just like any other intel laptop with a dual core processor, as I'm typing this from a MacBook Pro running XP.

I'm just about ready to fire up City Of Heroes to see how it performs too.

Comment

LowEnd Mac's Alan Zisman offers a good installation article on Bootcamp.

Not Perfect Yet, but Boot Camp Works as Advertised

Boot Camp is officially beta software; it's supposed to be released as part of Apple's next-generation OS X 10.5 "Leopard" later this year. For prerelease Software, everything worked as advertised - at least for me.

Online, there are lots of reports from people who installed Boot Camp and were able to install Windows, but then not able to return to OS X. I suspect I know what they did wrong, but it's important to note that the current release is beta software; users need to be aware that it can be risky to use prerelease software and need to be aware that Apple doesn't offer any support.

If you have critical data on the computer to which you're installing Boot Camp, make sure you back it up!......

There is only one right answer - you have to pick the one labeled "C:". Failure to pick this one will "nuke" your OS*X installation. This is clearly spelled out in the Boot Camp documentation, but I suspect that many of the people complaining online about installation failures somehow missed this step and overwrote their OS*X installation with Windows.

There's currently no support for the iSight camera built-into Intel iMacs and Mac Book Pros, for instance. If you're using Apple's Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, plug in the wired versions. And you also won't be able to use the MacBook Pro's ambient light sensor and hard drive motion sensor, the Apple Remote Control, or Apple's optional USB modem.

The MacBook Pro's trackpad support is also lacking; it falls back to Microsoft' generic touchpad driver. No two-finger scrolling and no Ctrl-click for right-click. MacBook users should probably plug in a (two-button) mouse.

As well, the system clock will be four hours ahead of the correct time. (You may want to download third-party software to connect to an Internet timeserver at every reboot. Otherwise the error will reoccur every time you restart even if you manually correct the time.)
                Happy Windowing Mac Intel owners.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                  Apple just announced Boot Camp beta, which enables Apple users to boot Windows XP or OS X on the new Macs with Intel processors.

The question is why? If OS X is such a marvelous product then why use something else...unless it's because everyone else is? Hmmmmm what a concept. I wonder why XP is so desirable that someone went out of their way to make it run on an APPLE computer

Now the devious side of me tells me that Apple wants to encourage it's users to saturate all computers with corporate bootlegged versions of XP Pro to the point where Microsoft cannot make any money because there's so much pirated XP systems in use they cannot sell their legit copies and then they lose market share to Apple.

It's evil but hey it would work!
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I always thought the deviousness was the other way around: because Squishie is so ubiquitous in big business, and because so many Windows business users also salivate at the thought of being able to use some of the functionality of the Mac, that this was their way of holding on to their (MS) marketshare. I heard that Apple isn't supporting Boot Camp (yet) so who's got the vested interest in making this thing work? Sounds like Squishie to me. Besides, Macs are starting to use Intel chips, so what else is Apple willing to give up next to survive?

Miulang
                    Last edited by Miulang; April 19, 2006, 11:55 AM.
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

The ultimate surrender is when Apple gives up it's license to allow 3rd parties to develop OS X related utilities

Comment

I'm just hoping this and Apple's stellar earnings report today will push the stock above $100 per share. I've got some money riding on it.

Comment

Over $100? I'm not thinking that's likely. But the numbers do look good. Keeping to the topic, I'm wondering if the Boot Camp development will ultimately be seen as a good or bad strategic move by Apple?

It might tempt over Windows users who are too scared to leave Windows completely... but on the other hand, hecklers are already spreading stories that Windows is faster than OSX, even though their basis is game performance rather than general use (already a conceded weakness), and even though other tests have shown that Macs can do Windows better than traditional PCs in some cases.

Meanwhile, ComputerWorld, which previously posted a "First Look" article on Boot Camp, has now posted its review of the Parallels virtualization solution. Again, I think I'd favor the virtualization option to a dual-boot setup, at this point.

Comment

Alan Zisman at LowEndMac has also posted an article on the installation and use of Parallels virtualization software.

http://lowendmac.com/mac2win/06/0420.html
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I just had a phone conversation with my brother in law who just bought a Mac and wanted to run XP on it. He got the beta version of Boot camp but after installing XP on it there was a considerable lag when he typed a word in MS Word and when it appeared on the screen.

Anyone else have this problem?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                                I am so far staying with my present Power PC based Macs and saying laters with Windows for the time being. Let the Beta users and version 1.0 users use, work out the bugs and buy this stuff. I'll wait a couple of years for a more stable version... and perhaps by that time I'll also be able to justify the expense of having to go with a Mac Intel system (which also forces end users to buy Mac OS software optimized for Intel).....
                                Obviously you are in the minority of computer users who can live without software exclusive to Windows. Artsy-fartsy, retired or wealthy, eh Mel?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                                USA TODAY, page 2A
                                11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                                X