Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Safeway's current push

Originally posted by Sharilyn View Post
    I'd like it better if they would automatically load my card with all the coupons instead of me having to go online and select them. I know myself. I'll be in Safeway, thinking, Dang, I shoulda selected strawberries... or ice cream... or whatever. I think I'll just click on almost everything, just in case.
    Seems they're losing big $ by limiting purchases made only on-line/before entering, whacks out potential sales via forgetfulness and the ever-wallet-draining impulse buying.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Ron - they are not offering "on-line purchasing". The program gives one the opportunity to go on-line, put together a shopping list that adds the savings to the club card. Those savings show up when you actually pay at the register. I had chosen 4 items, only purchased 3 of them so I still have one deal left on my card if i decide to buy the item later. Also, its much easier to get coupon savings since i don't subcribe to the sunday paper.

I liked the program and will definitely use it when I plan to shop at Safeway. It took me about 5 minutes to add the items to my card and it was a considerable savings for me on items I was going to buy anyway.

oh, and I still had room for a couple of "impulse" buys
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Maybe I should have said 'on-line selections'. But if they allow you to buy other sale stuff at the store then that's cool.
        I don't market shop much at all, and my one daily item isn't part of the items marked for this, but it's always on sale anyway.
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Sorry, I guess I just assume that people have to buy groceries so therefore they go to the grocery store - whether Safeway, Wal-Mart, Costco or Sam's Club. Or to the commisary. Even a Farmer's Market is a form of grocery store.

and of course Safeway allows for other sale purchases. The program is meant to benefit shoppers, not curtail them.
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Okay, so I guess I had 'loaded' the free eggs 'onto' my card and that erased the item from the offers I could select. When I got to the store, I just picked up the eggs (large) and got 'em free - nice. The other coupons had prices that exceed my normal cost (sale prices were not as good as usual) so I bypassed the rest. For me, this is just another added complication to shopping. I prefer to read all the ads once a week and plan my purchases accordingly.
            May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
              [...]For me, this is just another added complication to shopping. I prefer to read all the ads once a week and plan my purchases accordingly.
              Believe it or not, we just might agree on something! The only way I think I can make this coupons-loaded-on-the-card thing work is to remember to print out the list(s) of coupons as they're loaded to my club card then have that available when I read the ads. I tend to forget real coupons so I'm anticipating I'll forget my list, too! Due to small space living, it's not practical for me to use coupons to buy and store groceries that won't be used within a short amount of time. We'll see...

Comment

I have a lot of "senior moments" so I always have a shopping list with me. I usually prepare my list after checking ads which is usally done online since I don't get the newspapers. So, this program works for me.. For others it's an inconvenience. To each his own.
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                  Are they going to improve the intersection of Beretania and Piikoi so that drivers going up Piikoi don't block the intersection?
                  I remember reading a news article where they plan to redevelop the Schuman lot so the new store would be double the size of the existing one and they would actually give up some land to form an additional lane on Piikoi.

Comment

Ian Lind has an interesting take on this Safeway personalize discount. Be sure to read the comments.

Comment

I registered in the afternoon, went to the store (Beretania) right after work. The items i had chosen showed up with the discounts on my receipt. I got the free eggs and was very happy. Maybe I just got lucky but I didn't have any problems. I'm happy with the program and will definitely use it on my (usually) once a month visit to Safeway. I usually shop at Foodland but with the new discounts, may start shopping Safeway more often.
                      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Costco & Wal-Mart seem like consumer paradise by comparison...
                        Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                        Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                        We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                        Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

*bump*

I eventually got the hang of Just4U and the more recent Deal Match. It sure beats clipping coupons and shopping multiple stores. A good example of the savings was a product I bought today. It's regularly $3.69 and was on sale (with or without a club card) for 2/$4.00. With Just4U this was a BOGO free product! So, I ended up with 2 for $2.00...instead of 2 for $7.38. Decided to buy 4 for $4.00 instead of $14.76! It's a product I buy anyway so...I SCORED!!!

Anyway, I take my printed list with me each time I shop. For those of you who use this program, do you find that the receipt doesn't jibe with your list? I can recall only one time this year that the receipt was accurate. I used to get home, unload my groceries, then compare the receipt to my list. That resulted in a 2nd trip to Safeway for reimbursement. Today I loaded the groceries in my car then decided to check the receipt before I left the parking lot. Sure 'nuff, almost $6.00 worth of mistakes (10% of the total), including the great deal mentioned in the above paragraph, so I went back into the store, leaving groceries in a hot car , for reimbursement. Next time I won't leave the store without doing my comparison! Maybe I'll use the customer service window ledge to spread out my paperwork 'cuz I'm just going to end up there anyway!

It's a great program but it has lots of glitches. Must say customer service has been great. Wish I could say the same about this morning's cashier. Whoa...someone got up on the wrong side of bed!

Comment

Since Just 4 U started, I tend to shop more at Safeway and have been saving a lot of $$$. I finally learned the same - check my receipt before I leave the store. They still need to make some improvements but its working pretty well for me - especially now that I've learned to understand the receipts.

Never did get my free eggs though!
                            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I wonder if Safeway will still give you the eggs. The worst they could say is "no"! Give it a try!

The program works well for me, too...except all the pricing errors and time spent correcting them! I used to save, on average, about 15% with the club card alone. Now it averages about 30%. Today was 37%...after reimbursements!

Comment

i decided to just let the eggs go - they were the mainland eggs anyway which i don't ever buy. i get my LOCAL eggs at Foodland
                                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                                X