Honolulu Mayor’s Race ’08

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Honolulu Mayor’s Race ’08

hi this is sansei and only one response,i'll only say i'll vote for mufi even if the rail goes on the ballot for people to vote on,if he say's it's ok,then i agree with him and i like mufi will vote for rail and not anything else and he's right and i know he'll be best as mayor,not Ann Kobayashi or Panos p they will try to derail rail so that's my true and one thoughts on this.

Well thank's for your time:O)

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
      All kidding aside, if Frank Fasi really did make one last run for mayor, this would have been an even bigger story then it already was.
      Da Mayor Frank Fasi could have turn over the reign of power to his oldest son.

Comment

In the 5th District Race:
        http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/as...1113833726.JPG

George Waialeale is not running.

My bad.

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Aunty you were right about GW, he was running on Tuesday, 7/22 and then he pulled out on Thursday 7/24. BTW he is a '65 McKinley grad a fellow tiger like you.

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post
            Aunty you were right about GW, he was running on Tuesday, 7/22 and then he pulled out on Thursday 7/24. BTW he is a '65 McKinley grad a fellow tiger like you.
            Hmmmm...I wonder why he pulled out?

Tigers are fighters.heheheh

I know I am.

Auntie Lynn
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

The official list is at the Hawaii Elections website at this URL:

http://hawaii.gov/elections/candidates/

Look for the link that goes to the "Candidates Report - Certified". It's a downloadable PDF file.

Also pulling out of the Mayor's Race is Jim Brewer. The ones who pulled out have a (W) at the end of their listing which indicates "withdrawal".
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

All kidding aside, if Frank Fasi really did make one last run for mayor, this would have been an even bigger story then it already was.
                I don't think so.

Carl Fasi getting in trouble with the law is nothing new. He's been in and out of the prison system almost his entire adult life. As a matter of fact, I believe his very first arrest (for breaking-and-entering) occurred a year into his father's first term as mayor. And then he developed a drug addiction while he was incarcerated. From that point on, it's been one incident after another. But through it all, voters kept re-electing Frank Fasi to the mayor's office.
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                  I don't think so. Carl Fasi getting in trouble with the law is nothing new. ... But through it all, voters kept re-electing Frank Fasi to the mayor's office.
                  I never said it had any effect on Frank Fasi’s political career (which has nothing to do with my point). If you read my post carefully, you will see my point is Carl Fasi’s case would be an even bigger story then it already was if Frank had made one last run for mayor. That’s just the nature of the media. The media doesn’t even cover court cases unless it involves murder, child rape, a big drug bust or the HPD SWAT team. Lesser stories get relegated to the “non-reporter attributed” 3-paragraph news briefs. They still covered Carl Fasi. Think about it.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                  USA TODAY, page 2A
                  11 March 1993

Comment

I never said it had any effect on Frank Fasi’s political career (which has nothing to do with my point). If you read my post carefully, you will see my point is Carl Fasi’s case would be an even bigger story then it already was if Frank had made one last run for mayor. That’s just the nature of the media. The media doesn’t even cover court cases unless it involves murder, child rape, a big drug bust or the HPD SWAT team. Lesser stories get relegated to the “non-reporter attributed” 3-paragraph news briefs. They still covered Carl Fasi. Think about it.
                    When I said "I don't think so," in my previous post, it was a direct response to your assertion that this latest incident "would have been an even bigger story then it already was" had Frank Fasi been running for mayor this year.

You are absolutely right when you say that Carl Fasi's scrapes with the law would have been an uncredited 3 paragraph blurb had he not been the son of a prominent politician. But then again, if you took your own advice to read posts carefully, you would find that I never said otherwise.

I maintain that even if Frank Fasi was running for office now, this latest escapade about Carl would not have been any bigger a news story. I believe the local media has relegated Carl Fasi's transgressions to secondary status for the last 35 years or so for the following reason.

Carl, although the son of Frank, was an adult when he got into trouble. And like all other adults, he's responsible for his own actions, not his parents. This was true when he was in his 20s. It is still true now that he's in his 50s.
                    Last edited by Frankie's Market; July 27, 2008, 10:25 PM.
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                      I maintain that even if Frank Fasi was running for office now, this latest escapade about Carl would not have been any bigger a news story. I believe the local media has relegated Carl Fasi's transgressions to secondary status for the last 35 years or so for the following reason.

Carl, although the son of Frank, was an adult when he got into trouble. And like all other adults, he's responsible for his own actions, not his parents. This was true when he was in his 20s. It is still true now that he's in his 50s.
                      I agree wholeheartedly with your rationale. All of this makes perfect sense. However, I still disagree somewhat with your conclusion, so let me clarify my position further. I believe it might have been a bigger news story, and here’s why:

This is an election year, and anything involving a family member of a candidate is thus magnified a thousand times. Just ask Duke Bainum about the last-minute “rumors” that were “published” about his wife Jennifer Toma-Bainum in the 2004 Mayoral Race. Scandalous? Yes. Affected the outcome of the election? Probably. Had anything to do with Duke Bainum’s ability to be mayor? Probably not.

The point you made earlier about Carl being in and out of the prison system his entire adult life is actually the key here. Over the years these minor incidents became less and less newsworthy. But since both Frank and Carl have been out of the spotlight for some time, it becomes a brand new story to the readers, listeners and viewers. There’s a whole generation out there who have never heard a thing about Frank’s kids.

And that’s where television takes over. KGMB9 gave Carl his 25 seconds of fame with this latest incident. But if they sent a camera to the courtroom just for a 2nd degree robbery case, it’s very possible they have some file footage of this guy. They could string all these clips together and do new interviews with Frank, Joyce and brother David about the Carl’s tragic life. It would be an emotional, heart-wrenching coulda woulda shoulda story. Those kind of stories bring ratings up. And then again, you have Malia Zimmerman and hawaiireporter.com this time around.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                      11 March 1993

Comment

hi this is sansei and my vote for mayor all the way is mufi is if mufi wasnt running and ann was,then if that time were,i would be voting for ann,only i wouldnt like her way of mass transit is Rubber on concrete and that would be like a superhyped modifed bus and that's not transit and panos i wouldnt vote for either is he want's h.o.t lane's and elevated highway's and toll's would be to expensive and since mufi is running again,my vote's for him and i know i'll stand by what i share here.

Well thank's for your time:O)

Comment

The point you made earlier about Carl being in and out of the prison system his entire adult life is actually the key here. Over the years these minor incidents became less and less newsworthy. But since both Frank and Carl have been out of the spotlight for some time, it becomes a brand new story to the readers, listeners and viewers. There’s a whole generation out there who have never heard a thing about Frank’s kids.

And that’s where television takes over. KGMB9 gave Carl his 25 seconds of fame with this latest incident. But if they sent a camera to the courtroom just for a 2nd degree robbery case, it’s very possible they have some file footage of this guy. They could string all these clips together and do new interviews with Frank, Joyce and brother David about the Carl’s tragic life. It would be an emotional, heart-wrenching coulda woulda shoulda story. Those kind of stories bring ratings up. And then again, you have Malia Zimmerman and hawaiireporter.com this time around.
                          Since Fasi has been out of office for 14 years now, it actually wouldn't be a bad idea for a reporter/news station to do a retrospective documentary. But it should focus on Frank Fasi and his entire family, not just Carl.

Carl was, simply put, a screw-up. Stories about people like him are, sadly in this day and age, dime-a-dozen. Keep in mind that Fasi had 10 other children, none of whom had ever gotten into trouble with the law, AFAIK. Any parent who can say that 10 out of their 11 kids led productive lives has done a pretty good job in my book. So why focus on the one black sheep?

Comment

Well, it appears today’s Honolulu Advertiser confirms my earlier assessment that Mufi will win the primary but will not get the 50 percent plus 1 vote he needs to avoid a general election runoff. A Pacific Research and Planning shows Hannemann would receive 40.5% of the vote — a lead over Kobayashi of only six points. Since the margin of error is 4.5%, that means Ann could be even closer.

IMHO, the poll over-estimates the amount of undecided votes. If half of those votes go to Panos, then my prediction of 13% casting for him will be spot on.
                            Last edited by TuNnL; August 30, 2008, 05:59 AM.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                            11 March 1993

Comment

hi this is sansei and i would only put my faith in mufi our current mayor and not those running against him such as akobayashi and p prevodorus and p prevadorus want's to de-rail rail and ann k would like only rubber on concrete and that's only a verison of a modified bus and i dont agree with these two and only our current mayor want's steel on steel for our rail and i agree with him.

well thank's for your time

Comment

Here’s an interesting exchange between City Councilman Donovan Dela Cruz and Hannemann administration Transportation Director Wayne Yoshioka. The fact that Dela Cruz is supporting Ann Kobayashi, is going to make me pay close attention to the upcoming Mayoral debate. Personally, Kobayashi made me sick with her last-minute wheeling and dealing with Duke Bainum, who will slide in to a City council seat in unabashed carpetbagger fashion, regardless of how many votes he receives. But what cannot be ignored, is the uncertainty and vagueness in rail transit planning that conversations like this hearing illustrate.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                                11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                                X