Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii's Best Hot Dog

Originally posted by Pomai
    Anyway, when I cook hot dogs at home, my method of preference roots back to my German heritage of BOILING IT IN BEER! Sounds odd, but try it.. trust me, them Krauts know how it's done right. The alcohol cooks out, yet it helps the beer's hops penetrate into the casing which enhances it, bringing out a robust, meaty flavor.
    Quick question, do you boil the hot dogs using beer only or a mixture of water and beer?

I remember a long time ago someone boiled hot dogs using a mixture of water and beer but I wasn't aware of the mixture ratio and since it was for a group of at least 20 it was a big pot and a lot of hot dogs. The only thing I noticed was the hot dogs were wider than usual.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
      Quick question, do you boil the hot dogs using beer only or a mixture of water and beer?
      100% beer. I've tried everything from Bud Light to St. Pauli Girl and it always came out great. If you're talking Guiness Stout, I'd back off a bit and water it down.

I bring the beer to a rolling boil first, then add the dogs and lower heat to medium and cook for about 10 minutes. The sausage brands I've used with this method are Redondo's (red) dinner franks, Oscar Mayer and Costco's Polish Sausage.

I've seen some Food Network shows where they add beer into water at a ratio of approximately 2 to 8, respectively.

You really can't go wrong either way. Experiment with it.
      Last edited by Pomai; May 21, 2006, 05:50 PM.
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

KC Waffle Dog.

Dayton is a friend of mine I hope he starts up again. I got to taste some of his "New" varieties before he shut down (not served to customers). The one that stands out is the Portuguese sausage in the KC bun. The other one is the Teri Hot dog. But the best hot dogs his family made was in the 60's and 70's before he was born. they probably had all the bad stuff in it that we cant eat today?

Comment

Ah, Orange Julius. Thanks for reminding me, Erika. Yeah, it's largely mall food court fare, but when you've got the craving for a hot dog, their hot dogs do just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
            How about that old hot dog "supermarket conspiracy"....The buns come in a package of 8, but the hot dogs come in a package of 10.
            No conspiracy; just a difference in what the meat and baking industries prefer. Check out this column from nineteen years ago for a more detailed supposition.

This is maybe the fourth or fifth time I'm linking to Cecil Adams in the past two years. Cecil is the man. I have all of his books, and you should too!
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Can see dat I'm gonna have to dig out some pictures, and show you all how dey butcher a pig, over here....is NOT like at home!

And den...ham, sausages, confit, blood pudding, head cheese, salami...mmmm!
              http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
              http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                No conspiracy; just a difference in what the meat and baking industries prefer. Check out this column from nineteen years ago for a more detailed supposition.
                Okay St. Louis is a 10 hot dog bun town. I wonder what it will take for Honolulu to be a 10 hot dog bun town?

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                  Okay St. Louis is a 10 hot dog bun town. I wonder what it will take for Honolulu to be a 10 hot dog bun town?
                  Peaceful demonstration? Letter-writing campaign? Boycott?
                  http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                  http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Anyone catch Emeril Live tonight? His show was about the Hot Dogs! That cheese stuffed, bacon wrapped hot dog looked ono!

Comment

Do they still make Maui Hot Dogs? Bright red and "crunchy"
                      Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                      Flickr

Comment

Still to this day, I think Maalaea Store had the best. Perhaps its pure nostalgia on my part... hanging out by the harbor with my friends waiting for our dads to get back in from a day or two of fishing... but those plump, bright red hot dogs with thier steamy white buns ruled. The mustard was also special, I recall... seemed like one of those mayo-mustard hybrid affairs...

More here on the store:

http://starbulletin.com/2005/02/03/news/story11.html

Comment

Re: 8-pack buns to 10-pack hot dogs...

I knew there was a logic behind it rather than conspiracy. It was just funny how Steve Martin's character in Father of the Bride exaggerated the latter and got arrested after tearing open all the hot dog buns in the supermarket to make them packs of 10.

Brings to mind Frito Lay brand and how they cross-merchandise those "manini size" jars and cans of Nacho Cheese and Salsa for those BIG bags of chips. Do they expect us to stretch that for the whole bag? No way.... I need a TUB of dip!
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle
                            - The simple, steeped hot dogs and steamed buns served at the old Itsu's Fishing Supply in Hilo (a charming memory -- sigh).
                            I always wondered how some of the Okazuya shops make their (bunless) hot dog. It taste like it's steeped in a shoyu-sugar mix, but I'm not sure.
                            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

The year was 1950. A month after I turned 6, my friend had her 6th birthday party complete with hot dogs and all the trimmings, cake, ice cream, you name it! I loved birthday parties. That night I got sick! Haven't had a hot dog since! Can't say the same for cake, ice cream or anything else I ate that day, tho'!

Comment

Originally posted by wowlaulau
                                Anyone catch Emeril Live tonight? His show was about the Hot Dogs! That cheese stuffed, bacon wrapped hot dog looked ono!
                                It IS ono!
                                I've made them a couple times.
                                Heart attack in a bun, but what a way to go.
                                I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Working...
                                X