X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HT's Photo Sharing Thread - Chapter 4

Originally posted by mel View Post
    A few photos from the Big Island this weekend.
    Great shots Mel! Especially the gecko shot. It absolutely rules!

I hiked up to Maunawili Falls today. As I was walking back, the line from Joni Mitchell's song "Woodstock" popped into my head - "and we've got to find our way . . . back to the garden". The next words that popped into my head - "I think I found my way back".

Comment

There were several people at the falls, more as I was leaving. Some were jumping off into the pool. Some from about 15ft. Others from maybe 30ft or more. I asked a local guy how deep it was and he said he didn't know as no-one had ever touched the bottom. They were pretty tolerant of me and my camera. Mahalos to you all for that. I find photographing people kinda tricky (in terms of who minds being in a photo and who doesn't).

Comment

More from the trail.

Comment

Nice photos Jim. I'm like you in that I'm kind of awkward about taking photos of people, usually I try to do it without them noticing, which possibly brings up some sort of moral dilemmas but I try not to think about it too much.

I haven't been doing much photography since I moved here, which is a real shame, kind of complicated, but I'm trying to get into taking and sharing photos again. Here are a series of panoramics I've been shooting off my lanai.

Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
          Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Originally posted by sophielynette View Post
            Nice photos Jim. I'm like you in that I'm kind of awkward about taking photos of people, usually I try to do it without them noticing, which possibly brings up some sort of moral dilemmas but I try not to think about it too much.

I haven't been doing much photography since I moved here, which is a real shame, kind of complicated, but I'm trying to get into taking and sharing photos again. Here are a series of panoramics I've been shooting off my lanai.
            Beautiful panoramas, Sophielynette.

Yeah, including people in photos is a challenge. These people knew they were going to be in my photos as I wasn't exactly clicking them off from the hip. I was knee deep in the pond with them at points. At the same time, I wasn't comfortable taking shots of them facing me. That felt too instrusive. Shooting toward their backs was just a step less uncomfortable. I like the photos. I don't think they'b be as interesting without the people. It's one of those deals where the people are an important part of the scene. You don't want to be intrusive, but you want some people in the picture.

I was down at Waikiki last weekend and I found that even more difficult. Even if you're trying to capture the whole crowd, somebody's going to be in the center and people react to a camera being pointed in their general direction. I saw a Hawaiian man with a long white beard. I'd like to have taken his picture as he was interesting. I suppose I should have just asked. If anybody has experience with this, tell us about it.

Comment

Wow! i really like your shots at Maunawili Falls, Jim, especially Post #92. And sophielynette, nice panos. Did you stitch it in PhotoShop? Mel, nice shots, especially the cat and the gecko (except it's not a gecko; it's an anole).

Great shots, everyone! I really like this thread.

Comment

My camera actually has a built in panoramic function, I don't think I'd have the patience to do them otherwise. It's not an actual panoramic photo, but rather it takes the photo, gives you a semi transparent guide for the next two photos, then stitches them together in camera. I don't always line them up right, but it still looks pretty nice.

Comment

Wow, a whole flood of pictures today. Yay!

Mel:

I took a peek at your flickr site. The colors in your floral shots are wonderfully vivid. Great demonstration of the performance you can squeeze out of a consumer camera. Your pictures remind me to pay more attention to color (I tend to favor lines).

For that gecko shot, did you max out the monster 12x zoom on your camera? Or were you able to sneak up pretty close without spooking the little buggah?

Jim:

I like the second picture with all the wavy tree trunks. Very funky.

Heh, I remember jumping off the rocks at Maunawili Falls. I was too chicken to jump off the spot where the two guys are. I basically picked the lowest ledge, and even then it took me a while to build up my nerve. I didn't exactly jump; more like scooted into the water

The water tastes rather sweet (no, I didn't actually drink the water). Does anyone know if taro or something grows upstream? IIRC there's another set of falls farther up? There's also these little shrimp that live in the pool. They nibble on your skin (it seemed).

Sophie:

Woohoo! Glad to see you picking up the camera again. I dig the deep blue / purple / pink on the right side of your first pic

I really should try panoramics. I wish I still had access to the First Hawaiian Bank building. Great views from the upper floors. I remember the first time I took my wife up the express elevators. At the ground floor the elevator is in this dark well. My wife was leaning against the glass, looking out into darkness, when suddenly we broke into sunlight. I had forgotten to warn her how fast the elevators are and she freaked. It really is dizzying the first few times you ride them.
                  Last edited by MyopicJoe; August 31, 2008, 09:57 PM.
                  "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                  "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                  "
                  Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Wow, Jim. I noticed in the first pic of post #92, your shutter speed was 1/10th of a second? I don't think I could hold my camera that steady, even with the help of image stabilization. *whistle*
                    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                    "

Comment

• Re: HT's Photo Sharing Thread - Chapter 4

OMG!

I love this thread... the flora and fauna along with the man-made.

Me this mornin' at Manoa Falls and beyond!
                      Looking for "Manoa Falls Plastic Pot" cache.
                      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                        xD

Haha, lol
                        "

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
                          Wow, Jim. I noticed in the first pic of post #92, your shutter speed was 1/10th of a second? I don't think I could hold my camera that steady, even with the help of image stabilization. *whistle*
                          I was shooting with a 12x24mm lens (18x36mm in film camera equivalent). At 12mm, the people in the foreground were just a few feet away. You can shoot at 1/15 with no problems. This lens doesn't have image stabilization. I wish it did.
                          Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                          Looking for "Manoa Falls Plastic Pot" cache.

Comment

A fly, though I wish I could have got it from the front

long fence, and it was too. Along the whole waterfront part in Georgetown

a flower getting ready to open
                            flickr

An email from God:
                            To: People of Earth
                            Date: 9/04/2007
                            Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                            God

Comment

Oh wow, that fly shot is amazing Tatt. He almost looks pretty and graceful instead of an annoying pesky thing I want to swat. I can't imagine how you got it without him flying away!

And the Long Fence made me chuckle!

Comment

Tatt, just to let you know, I'm lovin' the zinnia pics. They are great flowers, and your photos are lovely.

Mahalo!

Comment

Working...
                                X