Apple Announcements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Apple Announcements

Hopefully Steve has surrounded himself with great people. I would actually be more worried if Jonathan Ive (VP of Design) left Apple.
    kiddori

Comment

Steve Jobs as the most popular man alive? Well let's put things into perspective here. Bill Gates was at one time the most richest man alive, and when he gave half away to charity, the world of computing hardly blinked. But when Steve Jobs coughs, suddenly the world of Electronics is reeling!

Personally when it comes to Apple, my allegiance is to Steve Wozniak.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
        Personally when it comes to Apple, my allegiance is to Steve Wozniak.
        Nobody can dispute the fact that Woz was (along with Steve Jobs and Ron Wayne) one of the founding fathers of Apple. Of that triumverate, he was the technical, "nuts and bolts" guy.

But Woz was merely the first of many innovative designers and engineers who created hit products for Apple.

There is only one Steve Jobs.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

After months of rumors and speculation re: the iPhone4's successor, Apple has finally unveiled the real deal iPhone 4S, set to go on sale Oct. 14.

The 4S moniker seems appropriate, given that the new iPhone is more of evolutionary upgrade rather than a revolutionary overhaul that consumers would expect from an iPhone 5.

Anybody planning to lineup outside of an Apple Store next week to get their hands on one? As for me,.... the new features (like Siri) sound neat, but I'll take a pass and wait to see what the iPhone 5 offers.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

was more of an anti climax for me. All that hype and **sigh** I'll guess I'll wait a bit longer before retiring my BB for an iPhone.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
              Nobody can dispute the fact that Woz was (along with Steve Jobs and Ron Wayne) one of the founding fathers of Apple. Of that triumverate, he was the technical, "nuts and bolts" guy.

But Woz was merely the first of many innovative designers and engineers who created hit products for Apple.

from a geek perspective (and one that was designing computers in High School at the time) I'll back the geek more than the marketing guru.

Comment

was more of an anti climax for me. All that hype and **sigh** I'll guess I'll wait a bit longer before retiring my BB for an iPhone.
                Why? I think one of the biggest game changers is the iPhone 3GS - free for a 2 year contract. That really drops the entry level price for a smart phone.

Comment

• Steve Jobs is dead

Apple Inc. said the company's co-founder Steve Jobs died Wednesday. He was 56. "We are deeply saddened to announce that Steve Jobs passed away today," the company said in a brief statement.

"Steve's brilliance, passion and energy were the source of countless innovations that enrich and improve all of our lives. The world is immeasurably better because of Steve."

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                    Why? I think one of the biggest game changers is the iPhone 3GS - free for a 2 year contract. That really drops the entry level price for a smart phone.
                    Craig, this might also be of interest - a review of the various IPhones and whether to upgrade or not:

http://gadgetbox.msnbc.msn.com/_news...t-for-iphone-5

I plan to get the IPhone 4S in December when I upgrade - I just have a regular old non-smartphone right now. Looking forward to the change!

R.I.P. Steve Jobs - a genius for our times. He changed our lives, whether we are Apple/Mac users or not.
                    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

from a geek perspective (and one that was designing computers in High School at the time) I'll back the geek more than the marketing guru.
                      If you're not able to see the brilliance of Steve Jobs beyond his obvious skills of being a master marketer,.... wow. Well, lots of folks were also totally clueless about Galileo's genius when the man was still alive. I consider Steve Jobs (along with Ted Turner) as being among the greatest visionaries in my lifetime. The tributes that Jobs will no doubt be receiving over the coming days will be a preview of how Steve Jobs will be talked about in history classes a hundred years from now. If you imagine the lead engineers and technicians who designed the iPod or iPhone will be held in the same regard as Jobs in the year 2111,.... dream on.

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                      Let's not forget this. The iPhone 4 is still the best selling smartphone among AT&T and Verizon customers. Being that Apple is about to make the iPhone available to Sprint customers, there's no doubt that the iPhone 4/4S models will continue to strongly sell, even without a dramatic overhaul or 4G LTE compatibility. As Apple's current flagship, the iPhone 4S does offer enough upgrades to continue captivating the interest of consumers until the next generation iPhone 5 comes out.

Comment

Let's not forget this. The iPhone 4 is still the best selling smartphone among AT&T and Verizon customers. Being that Apple is about to make the iPhone available to Sprint customers, there's no doubt that the iPhone 4/4S models will continue to strongly sell, even without a dramatic overhaul or 4G LTE compatibility. As Apple'ugh upgrades to continue captivating the interest of consumers until the next generation iPhone 5 comes out.
                        I don't see why that isn't a forgettable little statistic. The only reason iPhone is the top handset is because it is the ONLY choice for those wanting an Apple iOS phone. Android, on the other hand, has dozens of choices on ALL carriers - including the Big Four. Android has dramatically outsold iOS for the last year in the U.S., and there's no indication Apple will catch up anytime soon. Nothing against the company. I love Mac computers. They're just light years behind Google in everything else.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                        USA TODAY, page 2A
                        11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                          I don't see why that isn't a forgettable little statistic. The only reason iPhone is the top handset is because it is the ONLY choice for those wanting an Apple iOS phone. Android, on the other hand, has dozens of choices on ALL carriers - including the Big Four.
                          The reason why the iPhone's position as the #1 selling smartphone is significant is because it isn't slightly outselling its next closest Android-platform rival. It is taking ALL of the Android-based smartphones combined to the proverbial woodshed.

So even on your "platform" based argument, the iPhone iOS still runs rings around all of the Android-based phones in stores where the iPhone is available. The only way for you to "cook up" the numbers to show the Android outsells iOS smartphones is to include carriers (Sprint, T-Mobile) where the iPhone was not available. Weak.

All this, despite the fact that Apple has never resorted to inflating its sales numbers with 2-for-1 promotional deals,.... something that cannot be said for some of the Android operating phones.

But perhaps the most embarrassing fact that the Android fanboys have had to choke on is this -- AT&T's top two selling handsets (the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 3GS) are 16 and 28 months old, respectively. Despite the age of Apple's products, they are still mopping the floor over all of the newer offerings that their rivals are putting out.

Now that Apple has finally struck a deal with Sprint, get ready for yet another segment of the market where Androids will be carved up by the iPhone.
                          Last edited by Frankie's Market; October 6, 2011, 08:29 PM.

Comment

The only way for you to "cook up" the numbers to show the Android outsells iOS smartphones is to include carriers (Sprint, T-Mobile) where the iPhone was not available.
                            Frankie, Frankie. I'm so disappointed that you would resort to a desperate argument like “Apple is too high maka maka to grace its presence on Sprint or T-mobile’s network.” If Apple’s either too stupid or too incompetent to develop a phone that will work on those networks, that’s their problem. My only point is that Android outsells iPhone in the U.S., a fact that your hazy little piecharts from an Apple-biased website doesn’t disprove. Here are the real facts:

Source: Slashgear.com

As you can see, not only has Android been leading iOS in the smartphone market for some time, they are increasing their lead by leaps and bounds. Take a graph based on a “split-second snapshot poll” you read on website that has “Apple” as part of its name with a grain of salt, Frankie. Especially when it leaves out important measurement scales like when the survey took place and how those numbers stack up to a previous poll.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                            USA TODAY, page 2A
                            11 March 1993

Comment

Androids vs iPhone?

That's where the problem lies in the debate. It either should be operating system comparison - Android vs iOS; or phone model comparison - iPhone vs (insert Android flavor phone such as Galaxy S2, Optimus G2, etc etc).

In terms of specific handset models, iPhone outsells.

In terms of which phone OS dominates in sales, Android does.

Just buy a phone that best suits you.

Comment

Frankie, Frankie. I'm so disappointed that you would resort to a desperate argument like “Apple is too high maka maka to grace its presence on Sprint or T-mobile’s network.”
                                Who's being desperate? "Too high maka maka?" If all you can do is dress up your arguments with silly characterizations, then whatever. I'll just state it plainly again. Android OS smartphones are only selling in greater numbers than iOS because they were available to more carriers. Spinning it 500 different ways won't change that fact, Tunnl.

If Apple’s either too stupid or too incompetent to develop a phone that will work on those networks, that’s their problem.
                                In your view, Apple was being stupid in its partnerships? Well, Apple extracted a lot of money from AT&T in order to the exclusive carrier for the iPhone for the device's first 3.5 years of existence.

Who's calling whom stupid, anyway? You're now presuming to claim to everyone here that you would have been a better skipper for Apple than Steve Jobs? LOL!!!! Tell ya what, Tunnl. When you can prove that your personal net worth is more than $8.3 billion, then I just might listen to ya. If not, then you're truly a legend,.... in your own mind.

As you can see, not only has Android been leading iOS in the smartphone market for some time, they are increasing their lead by leaps and bounds.
                                A trend that is sure to be impacted by Sprint's entry into the iPhone realm.

Take a graph based on a “split-second snapshot poll” you read on website that has “Apple” as part of its name with a grain of salt, Frankie.
                                The data cited came from BTIG Research, who made their survey finding available to anyone. If you can't offer any proof that BTIG's data is biased, then once again, you come off sounding ridiculous.
                                Last edited by Frankie's Market; October 7, 2011, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X