Hawai‘i Governor’s Race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawai‘i Governor’s Race

At one time, it was unheard of for ANY fellow Democrat to challenge a sitting governor. But David Ige used unconventional campaign tactics to break tradition in 2014 — by running against, and defeating — Neil Abercrombie.

Now, after numerous scandals have rocked the foundation of state government, the shoe is on the other foot. Seizing the moment — several big names have entered the 2018 race for Governor.

Who will you cast your ballot for this year?
    U.S. Rep. Colleen Hanabusa (D)
    12.50%
    Incumbent Gov. David Ige (D)
    25.00%
    Former Hawai‘i Sen. Clayton Hee (D)
    25.00%
    Undeclared Democrat (i.e. Rick Blangiardi)
    12.50%
    Undeclared Independent (i.e. Mufi Hannemann)
    0.00%
    Former Hawai‘i Sen. John Carroll (R)
    0.00%
    Hawai‘i Rep. Andria Tupuola (R)
    0.00%
    Undecided
    25.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by TuNnL; March 28, 2018, 09:25 PM.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Re: Hawai‘i Governor’s Race

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
    after numerous scandals have rocked the foundation of state government, the shoe is on the other foot
    if that's as rocky as it get's then there are 49 envious States.
    we could jot Hawaii's biggest problems on scratch paper and solve them before Christmas if the powers wanted to.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

after numerous scandals have rocked the foundation of state government, the shoe is on the other foot
      Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
      if that's as rocky as it get's then there are 49 envious States.
      we could jot Hawaii's biggest problems on scratch paper and solve them before Christmas if the powers wanted to.
      I wish it was, Ron, but unfortunately — it’s just the tip of the iceberg. Governor Ige's tenure has been a boondoggle ever since he tried to appoint a real estate development executive to chair the Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR). You have to take your hat off to former U.S. Rep. Ed Case for nudging his sister to step in and provide a viable alternative.

But one controversy after another has highlighted an administration with few accomplishments — other than the Randy Iwase-spearheaded rejection of a NextEra takeover of Hawaiian Electric Company (HECO).

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
      11 March 1993

Comment

we could go on all day how much he / Dems / everything sucks but comparatively we got it good.
        I don't see anybody better than Ige...

Comment

we could go on all day how much he [...] sucks but comparatively we got it good. I don't see anybody better than Ige.
          Well, the question is whether you have a crystal ball — or are stating a minority opinion, then, Ron. It is true the governor came from behind in 2014 — which is the reason I started off this post with that background information.

David Ige will have to do it again to win in 2018 — this time with the benefit/burden of incumbency. And with a “lame duck” lieutenant governor he appointed, no less. We'll see if our Hawaiithreads.com poll will provide a different snapshot than the one given by Mason Dixon Polling between March 13th through the 18th.

Latest poll shows who is on top in the race for Hawai‘i’s next Governor

Posted: Mar 26, 2018 8:52 AM HST
          Updated: Mar 26, 2018 8:52 AM HST

KITV-4

In the race to become Hawai‘i Governor, a new poll by the Honolulu Star Advertiser shows Democratic Candidate Colleen Hanabusa holding a 20% point lead over Current Governor David Ige.

That data gathered from 498 potential Democratic primary voters around the state showed 47% supporting Hanabusa, compared to 27% supporting Ige.

USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

I have never been a David Ige fan. I didn't mind his low-key approach to legislation, but there are times when a leader has to stand up and say something, and he let far, far too many such times pass.

Then I was pissed (pissed!) at the Democratic party for allowing him to unseat a governor who has spent his career with the opposite approach. I'm not a Democrat, so I didn't vote in the primary, but I watched it with horror. The party elected a guy who did its dirty, daring work for it and went along for the ride. The legislature was going to punt the same-sex marriage issue again but the governor forced a vote, and we finally righted a longstanding wrong.

But really, no thanks to David Ige or his colleagues in the capitol.

I've told Abercrombie in person that his party screwed him, and he agreed. I was always annoyed by the old-boy network the party perpetuated, but then I was utterly furious at this new upsetting of the apple cart, not because I have an issue with upsetting apple carts, but because in this case I sincerely think the party let him walk a tightrope, got what it ultimately really wanted at very little risk to itself, and then cut the line while he was still walking it.

Then Ige surprised me. He came out strong very early on three issues he didn't have to come out strong on. He supported TMT. He spoke on behalf of the state in welcoming European refugees (which may have been a no-risk position, but I still liked it). There was one more, and I don't think it was the Paris agreement, but there may have been that as well.

Anyway, his days are numbered partly due to some ineptitude, which I won't argue against. But is the solution really a return to the old-boy machine, as it would be with Hanabusa? I'm sure the party thinks it is, and that depresses me.

As if I weren't already depressesd enough about the state of politics in this country.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Well, the question is whether you have a crystal ball — or are stating a minority opinion
              1 person's opinion is the ultimate minority opinion. I don't like desperate career politicians who've done little else, and Hanabusa reeks of it. her lead is surprisingly massive at this point, if she takes it we can only hope for the best. she's far better than anything I've seen from any other party, not that I'm watching... and of course the Rs can go to hell.

Abercrombie was a turncoat bum, that's why he was voted out.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                I didn't mind (David Ige)'s low-key approach to legislation, but there are times when a leader has to stand up and say something, and he let far, far too many such times pass.

[...]

Anyway, his days are numbered partly due to some ineptitude, which I won't argue against. But is the solution really a return to the old-boy machine, as it would be with Hanabusa? I'm sure the party thinks it is, and that depresses me.

As if I weren't already depressed enough about the state of politics in this country.
                This is really the elephant in the room, so to speak. Certainly, no Republican has been an elephant in the room since Charles Djou won a special election in 2010 to serve Hawai‘i in the U.S. House of Representatives.

It is a tragedy how a maverick legislator like Colleen Hanabusa so quickly turned into a corrupt, “old-boy network” lackey — simply because she perceived party powerbrokers as pivotal to her rise to higher office.

It’s a cautionary tale in today’s political environment. At least if mainland trends will have any impact on local elections. But it’s not as if we haven’t had that type of groundswell before. A little more than 15 years ago, the Aloha State elected a Republican governor to two consecutive terms — after 40 years of Democratic “rule.”

Not to say that I believe either of the current Republican candidates have ‘shave ice’ chance in Hell to gain traction in 2018. But you have to think Hanabusa is not taking poll results as gospel. It hasn’t been proven who exactly is behind the Super PAC which recently smeared Clayton Hee — opening the gates for campaign mudslinging with an opening salvo.

If a seasoned political veteran like Mufi Hannemann would declare candidacy — as an independent — it would at least neutralize the type of “shout down/ kick on the ground” and “overspend” tactics that cripple the “non-anointed” candidates into obscurity. Hannemann has been on the rebound — ever since his Hawai‘i Lodging and Tourism Association has broadened it's political influence and reach — with impactful initiatives to address homelessness in the islands.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                11 March 1993

Comment

Once again we are left with picking the "least worse" of choices.
                  I normally vote Republican, but will vote Ige just so the other two will, hopefully, not get in.
                  Not a big fan of ige, but hana or hee would be a disaster for hawaii.
                  hana and hee have shown that they can easily be bought. They are strong "pay to play" supporters. They will sell off anything that will profit themselves.
                  ige is not the brightest bulb in the box, but at least he has a little integrity. Not much, but way more than hana or hee.
                  Best choice for this state would be Tupuola, but I don't think she has a chance.
                  John Carrol would be great, but I think he's past his prime.
                  Biggest problem here is one party is in charge. Because they're in charge, they can hide what they do.
                  We are like sheep here. Just follow along without thinking.
                  There are so many problems these days. Dems have been in charge for so long. If they're doing such a good job, why do we have all these problems????? Time to make the dems accountable for all the problems. Kick the bums out.

Comment

Originally posted by abunaitoo View Post
                    Once again we are left with picking the "least worse" of choices.
                    I normally vote Republican.
                    There are so many problems these days. Dems have been in charge for so long. If they're doing such a good job, why do we have all these problems????? Time to make the dems accountable for all the problems. Kick the bums out.
                    which is it?
                    yes, Dems suck, but kicking them out in place of what? show me 1 mainland R who's better. they stink far worse.
                    we have our problems cos we allow them. we don't demand better.

Comment

Its been awhile since I have come back to this site, I got so disgusted by politics I just shut myself off. Now I am running again this time for governor. teruyaforgovernor.com I have been collecting information on what has been going on and think its time to get "OUR" message out. I understand I may get pushback but I think most of what I am running for is very important. I will be visiting this site again just to see how many people feel the same way.

I would like to thank everyone in advance for your support and I would like to say sorry in advance in case anyone may disagree with my views. Much Mahalo

Terrence Teruya

teruyaforgovernor.com
                      Mahalo Terrence K. Teruya

Comment

Originally posted by abunaitoo View Post
                        Once again we are left with picking the "least worse" of choices. I normally vote Republican, but will vote Ige just so the other two will, hopefully, not get in.

(...)

Biggest problem here is one party is in charge. Because they're in charge, they can hide what they do. We are like sheep here. Just follow along without thinking.

I think most people (besides Ron Whitfield) are in agreement with you. But look where that rationale led you. It’s posts like yours that turn politically “aware” citizens like me to vote for random political novices like Terrence Teruya.

It’s essentially the same reason why Donald Trump was elected. A complete lack of trust, faith or respect for career politicians. The difference, though, is that Trump bankrolled his campaign and maximized every dollar.

FWIW, the cold, hard truth is that it’s probably not possible for a guy with 39 Facebook friends and the UPS Store as his campaign headquarters to do the same.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                        11 March 1993

Comment

yes it's the honest truth on everything you said, and ha Ha I definitely know it, you have a good night starting my second job in 10 minutes
                          Mahalo Terrence K. Teruya

Comment

It’s essentially the same reason why Donald Trump was elected. A complete lack of trust, faith or respect for career politicians. The difference, though, is that Trump bankrolled his campaign and maximized every dollar.
                            for fuck's sake he didn't spend shit campaigning cos the damn media gave it all to him for free and he knew they would! he's had this whole sKKKam in his NAZI sKKKull for decades. idiots didn't trust Gmt. so they voted in the most untrustworthy grifter shithole on the planet? they were motivated by one thing, 40 years of raw righty butthurt and then enraged by the black guy kicking their asses for 8 years! this is all happening cos of pure hate and rampant I-don't-give-a-shitism with no absolutely no basis in reality. anybody supporting this pig and his sty full of monsters are the most guilty of assholes in all history. OHHHH BUT HER FUCKING EMAILS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

for fuck's sake he didn't spend shit campaigning
                              Actually, according to the Wall Street Journal, Donald Trump had contributed $66 million of his own money as of a week before Election Day 2016.

had this whole sKKKam in his NAZI sKKKull for decades.
                              You’re thinking of Prescott Bush — grandfather of Jeb Bush (whose campaign and PACs spent the most money of any Republican candidate in the primary). Prescott was a well-known Nazi sympathizer — who is alleged to have plotted an assassination attempt on President Franklin D. Roosevelt.

this is all happening cos of pure hate and rampant I-don't-give-a-shitism with no absolutely no basis in reality.
                              Don’t know what “this” you are referring to, but if you mean the first face-to-face meeting in history — between a U.S. President and the Supreme Leader of North Korea — sorry, Ron.

This is REAL.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                              11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                              X