X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's for Dinner - Chapter 6

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
    I hear you, Expat. But Anapuni is also correct. It's just that we're too lazy or time-deprived these days. How many people today prepare dinner from scratch? I used to cook from scratch a lot, but now I rarely do.
    ================================================== ======
    I hear you. I totally understand. But I guess I am still surprised with the super-small sample set of real dinners cooked and served. Maybe I should start a different thread that focuses of cooked and homemade meals. I guess I am interested in hearing about recipes that maybe I can copy or ask the author for the recipe. No sense in asking for recipes for fast food and junk food.

And for me, I am pretty lazy too. While I like good, homemade food, I don't like to use all the freaking list of ingredients and the multitude of pots, pans, bowls, etc. etc. that all those chefs on the Food Channel use. For instance, I like to use spices, but I don't want to take the time to take whole, white, green, and black peppercorns, cloves, fennel seeds, etc. etc. and roast them in a pan, then crush them up by hand -- so much humbug --- I just take the preground stuff out of my spice bottles and use them. I know the profession chefs will say that the preground stuff is not as good as the fresh cracked stuff, but that is my lazy way of saving time and having less stuff to wash.

Comment

Expat -I cook every night. Haven't been to a fast food place since I don't know when. but, I don't post every day because its just regular food. If I try a new recipe or something like that, then yes - I post it. I think probably most of us think that what we have for dinner just isn't usually interesting enough to share.
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Meatloaf dinner with brown rice sushi and a bottle of water.

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
          Expat -I cook every night. Haven't been to a fast food place since I don't know when. but, I don't post every day because its just regular food. If I try a new recipe or something like that, then yes - I post it. I think probably most of us think that what we have for dinner just isn't usually interesting enough to share.
          ================================================== ====
          I understand. But I was thinking that in my hasty typing, I probably did not make myself very clear. I am not looking for fancy or unique menu items. I am interested in pretty standard stuff (I like simple, hearty, and comfort foods) but that might give me new ideas.

For instance, I love stews, all kinds of stews. I like brown gravy stew, tomato paste/sauce based stews, curry stews, adobo type stews, etc. etc. I like to use different meats. I especially like beef (I am a beef eater). I make beef stews with chuck roast, short ribs, brisket, but I don't use "stew meat" or round steak/roasts. That is because the taste is not there with those cuts of meat....probably no enough fat content or collagen content. I love oxtail stew --- but does anyone else have any other ideas or suggestions?

I love osso bucco. But the only osso bucco that I like is with veal shanks. I have eaten pork shank osso bucco and lamb shank osso bucco, but does anyone else have any other ideas?

I like all kinds of fish, especially local kine fish. Has anyone every broiled or baked fish with mayonnaise? With maybe green onions or dill in the mayo? We do that with salmon and when I can get papio. Sometimes the papio gets dry, but with the mayo, it is super ono.

I have tried to copy the way that Helena's makes their short ribs pipikaula, but I cannot get it right. My wife loves loves that kind of pipi. I like the seasoned and salted flank steak pipi from Haile's in the old Ala Moana Marketplace. Anyone know those recipes?

So enough of my bantering. This is what I want to get started. Anyone have any ideas as to what to name the new thread like this?

Comment

Hi ExPat...I too love hearty meals and a huge fan of eating stew in different variations. I found quick stir-frys can be easy to cook and hearty at the same time. Simple dishes like chicken tofu over rice or beef with broccoli can really hit the comfort zone, or beef kalderetta (filipino stew). Another dish that I whipped up this week, and my kidlets macked on was chicken cacciatorre - my kids whoofed down some zucchini and - loving it. A childhood favorite that my pops would cook was beef togue with carrots and potatoes - tender and tasty . I need to get my grandma's recipe from him. Oh...and one of my all-time favorites is making baby back adobo ribs - yum-o!!! My cooking is simple and very limited, but it seems to work when I pinch hit for the wifey. It certainly is relaxing and fun too.

Comment

Originally posted by Expat Kamaaina View Post
              So enough of my bantering. This is what I want to get started.
              Please create the thread, no need to discuss it here on this thread which is just a log of what one has for dinner.

Also it doesn't matter if you made your dinner yourself or someone else did it for you. The main focus of this thread is what you ate.

You might want to look under the tag of cooking to see if existing threads might suit your needs.
              Last edited by helen; October 20, 2010, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake's Ohana View Post
                Hi ExPat...I too love hearty meals and a huge fan of eating stew in different variations. I found quick stir-frys can be easy to cook and hearty at the same time. Simple dishes like chicken tofu over rice or beef with broccoli can really hit the comfort zone, or beef kalderetta (filipino stew). Another dish that I whipped up this week, and my kidlets macked on was chicken cacciatorre - my kids whoofed down some zucchini and - loving it. A childhood favorite that my pops would cook was beef togue with carrots and potatoes - tender and tasty . I need to get my grandma's recipe from him. Oh...and one of my all-time favorites is making baby back adobo ribs - yum-o!!! My cooking is simple and very limited, but it seems to work when I pinch hit for the wifey. It certainly is relaxing and fun too.
                ================================================== ==
                Yeah; all the stuff you make I like too. I make lots of stuff like this too. I love tongue, but my wife cannot stand the smell when boiling it. So I cannot make it. I make all the Japanese-type stuff too -- hekka, sukiyaki, pork tofu, etc.. I make beef tomato, beef brocolli, etc. Tonight I will make fried rice with shrimp and ham, and also bowls of look fun soup with gailan, roast duck, and char siu spare ribs on top. I got the gailan, roast duck, and char siu spare ribs from the Chinese deli BBQ down the street from me. Maybe this weekend I will make pot roast with brown gravy and veggies, and maybe my "kitchen sink" lasagna with garlic bread. I put in the lasagna noodles, layered with beef/onions/mushroom sauce, lots of cheeses, slices of Italian sausage, slices of hardboiled eggs (funky, I know, but tastes good), and lots of small, but whole mushrooms.

My wife and I will the Chinese stuff for dinner tonight, but I will bake a piece of red salmon with mayo/dill tonight for my daughter -- she requested that earlier in the week, but I did not feel like eating salmon. Speaking of salmon, I ate at a buffet place for a late lunch, so I did not eat dinner last night. But for my wife, I made fried salmon belly slices with rice, and a few fried slices of rib eye that I made cutlet style. I made like 1.5 pounds of salmon belly strips and about four big slices of rib eye. My wife and the two little dogs ate it all up for dinner.

Comment

Shrimp flavored chow mein, pasta salad and a bottle of water.

Comment

fried chicken, corn and tall Protein Shake smoothie.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Chicken flavored chow mein and a bottle of water.

Comment

Hamburger steak plate lunch and a cup of Mountain Dew from L&L Hawaiian BBQ.

Comment

another recipe from my "Mediterranean Diabetes Cookebook" called Tarragon Supreme of Chicken with Mushrooms. It had lots of lemon which meant lots of flavor. I served it with some garlic mash pototoes and some nice Sauvignon Blanc. It was VERY GOOD!!!! This cookbook is incredible and the recipes are very low sugar - tonites was zero sugar.
                          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Thai Spicy Noodles, green garden salad with jicama and Nopal cactus strips, and hibiscus flower bud iced "tea". I make the Thai Noodles myself with Soba noodles, peanut butter, jalapeno peppers, garlic, lime juice, parsley, and other secret ingredients. Low in both fat and sugar. I put a little Tongan music on the machine and I'm in gastronomic paradise. Uaifi like too.
                            Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Reubun sandwich from Arby's and a bottle of water.

Comment

leftovers from last nite's dinner
                                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                                X