So what can I do with guava?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what can I do with guava?

May seem like a stupid question given we're in Hawai`i, but see we have a guava tree somehow. It's grown and fruiting and we've picked quite a bit over the past two weeks.

Problem is we have no idea what to do with them! Any recipes or just general ideas on things we can do with our guava? Mom will be taking some to work to see if our guava even tastes any good (or if we're picking too early or not) so that the coworkers can have. We've been buying guava products all this time so to actually have the fruit available leaves us stumped
    myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Re: So what can I do with guava?

Originally posted by kupomog View Post
    Any recipes or just general ideas on things we can do with our guava?
    Juice the Jack LaLanne way!

Comment

I heard someone dried guava in their dehydrator. They said it came out really good. I didn't get a chance to try any, so I don't know for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharilyn View Post
        I heard someone dried guava in their dehydrator. They said it came out really good. I didn't get a chance to try any, so I don't know for sure.
        Yeah, dried guava with a dusting of li hing powder! Very popular at the seed shops

Guava juice, guava jelly of course. I'd be interested in whatever else creative things people come up with to do with guavas

Comment

we have tons of roadside guava here in south kona upcountry. we take a dozen or so and put them whole in the blender (after washing) and then strain the results thru a screen type collander. we rarely need to sweeten it. it reminds me of the hawaiian airlines free juice...but better.
          the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

I just bought a jar of guava cream cheese at the KCC farmer's market. That shouldn't be too difficult to make. Soften an 8 oz. block of cream cheese...add one pureed guava...taste...add sweetening of choice...taste...add more pureed guava and sweetening if desired...taste 'til you like it! Oh, the list of ingredients also shows lemon juice. Will make a great topping for fresh, hot cornbread, toast, pancakes, waffles...oh crap, now I'm starving!

Comment

you can make sinigang--filipino version of hot and sour soup.

here's one recipe.

and another--sub any whitefish in the soup for bangus, a type of mullet.

you can also use pork or shrimp in the recipe instead of fish or beef.

substitute won bok, cabbage, or shanghai cabbage for the filipino veggies you're not familiar with. you can also use hunks of potato. i wouldn't use carrot bcs carrot will add a sweet flavor that's not typical for traditional recipes but you can try it if you like.
              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Guava ice cream or sorbet? Hot guava toddy? Guava smoothie? Canned guava in syrup? Roasted with olive oil and veal?

(the dehydrated one makes my mouth water just thinking of it)
                http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                X