New Establishments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That was fast!

The pho/plate lunch joint on Dillingham Bl. that took over from Spots by HCC is pau.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

• Re: New Establishments

Kailua!
      A new place called "Honuz" has opened (couple of weeks ago) in the space formerly occupied by Cisco's Cantina on Hekili Street in Kailua. Full page ad in the Windward insert in MidWeek last week. Went there last night - ono salmon, good NYSteak & scampi - FRESH and varied one-pass salad bar, veggie mix w entree is excellent, incredible light bread pudding. They just got their liquor license and are expecting business will pick up accordingly. Also plan a breakfast buffet w hi-lite sweetbread/lilikoi french toast - someone told us that they got an anon call from Boots & Kimos (two doors down the street) staffer NOT happy about the breakfast competition -but hey, waiting 90 mins @ B&K vs. quicker seating at Honuz?
      (Besides, B&K moving to larger quarters in the new stripmall building on the corner across from Don Quijote soon anyway.)

Check it out:
      http://www.honuzrestaurant.com/

Comment

Buffalo Big Wings Grill and Bar opened in Discovery Bay about a month or so ago. I checked it out for the first time this week-end, for lunch. It's the epitome of a sports bar...fairly barren decor punctuated by a plethora of large, flat screen TVs!!! There must be at least 15! Eldest spawn can't wait to check it out!

Comment

Bombay Restaurant in Discovery Bay must be doing ok in this economy. The owner will open a coffee bar in the same building, taking over the space vacated by Starbucks. Same owner is also opening what appears to be a small take-out place downtown on Alakea between Queen and King called...Curry in a Hurry. Cute name! I wish him well.

Comment

In the news today from KITV:

Over the past year, Brew Moon, Compadre's and E&O have closed their doors.

All three occupied spaces on Ward Centre's second floor.

The restaurants that will take their place are the Ka Restaurant and Lounge, Pablo McGinty's and Paparazzi.
            Judging just by the names alone, I'm a little skeptical these will catch on. Then again, I was skeptical Buffalo Wild Wings in the Discovery Bay Center in Waikiki would catch on, but the place PACKS A CROWD! Boy, do they pack 'em in on football weekends. Crazy busy.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
              [...]Then again, I was skeptical Buffalo Wild Wings in the Discovery Bay Center in Waikiki would catch on, but the place PACKS A CROWD! Boy, do they pack 'em in on football weekends. Crazy busy.
              BWW is pretty spacious and contains a plethora of large, flat screen TVs; so many that I lost count! I think there's a wings eating contest on Tuesday nights. And the customer parking area for the center is full more often than not. Never used to be that way. I wonder how it's impacted Margarita's (sp?) downstairs. Maybe it benefits from an overflow.

Comment

There is a building, Chinatown, near the corner of Maunakea and Beretania that has been vacant and abandoned/run-down looking for a few years, makai side, Diamondhead. The last few months there has been a serious re-hab taking place. It is taking shape with a classy facade.The other day I saw Mr Duc, of Duc's Bistro in there talking to the craftsmen. Perhaps he is moving his restaurant there.
                You can apply any terms to any situation to suit your perspective.

Comment

• Shakey's Pizza coming to Waipahu

Worth trying at least once.

http://www.shakeys.com/StoreLocatorR...=waipahu,%20hi

Comment

Shakey's! Now, there's a name from the past. Will they have that old sing-along screen?

Comment

Sadly no Shakeys here on my end but I definately remember them back in the 70's/80's I recall there was one in Pearlridge & nr Ala Moana Center back in the day.

and this is the SHAKEYS I remember...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/23/25...57d6bf2a07.jpg
                      Last edited by DannyWilliams; January 14, 2010, 07:18 AM.

Comment

Bob Lee (Pizza Bob's from the North Shore) taking over the lease at Fisherman's Wharf at Kewalo Basin.

Comment

Originally posted by Fritz View Post
                          There is a building, Chinatown, near the corner of Maunakea and Beretania that has been vacant and abandoned/run-down looking for a few years, makai side, Diamondhead. The last few months there has been a serious re-hab taking place. It is taking shape with a classy facade.The other day I saw Mr Duc, of Duc's Bistro in there talking to the craftsmen. Perhaps he is moving his restaurant there.
                          Looks like this is going to be a church. Perhaps a mission to service the lost souls exigent in Chinatown.

There are few uses for a building more uninteresting to me than church. Might be good people watching out front.
                          Last edited by Fritz; February 2, 2010, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Per above, Shakeys open or about to open in Waipahu - memory jogger: The first time around in HI, the "main" Shakey's was located @ ?
                            (I'm pretty sure I know the answer - anyone else?)

Comment

• Re: New Establishments: Shakey's

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                              Per above, Shakeys open or about to open in Waipahu - memory jogger: The first time around in HI, the "main" Shakey's was located @ ?
                              (I'm pretty sure I know the answer - anyone else?)
                              While I don't know the answer, a PBN news article published this past Monday may hold a clue:

Shakey's USA spokeswoman Cindy Staats told PBN that there were four Shakey's locations in Hawaii in the 1970s -- in Honolulu, Pearl City, Kaneohe and Schofield Barracks -- but they all closed before 1980.

"Townie" sources tell me they remember the former Honolulu Shakey's location was on Ke'eaumoku street near Like Like Drive Inn. Was that their "main" location?

"West Side" sources tell me they remember the former Pearl City Shakey's was located on Kamehameha highway, right around where the current Pearl City Zippy's is, next to Don Quijote.

Growing up on the windward side, I do fondly (yet vaguely) remember the Kaneohe Shakey's. It was located on the makai-Daimond Head side corner of Kahuhipa street and Kamehameha highway, where now sits a strip mall including a Mexican and Vietnamese restaurant and Planned Parenthood (I think that's what's in there now).

What I remember most fondly about Shakey's was how the pizza cooks rolled and spun the pizza dough behind a glass window in front that was visible to guests near the entrance of the restaurant, which of course was fascinating to watch as a keiki.

Also remember they had really long cafeteria-style wood bench seating, which made it a fun place for big families to throw parties. There was also an arcade room in back with a bunch of pinball machines (and maybe a video game or two; I forget).

IIRC, their brick oven pizza was really good too! Then again, for most kids under 10, ANY pizza is good.
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

• Re: New Establishments: Shakey's

"Townie" sources tell me they remember the former Honolulu Shakey's location was on Ke'eaumoku street near Like Like Drive Inn. Was that their "main" location?
                                The one at Ke'eaumoku and Rycroft was probably the busiest Shakey's.

What I remember most fondly about Shakey's was how the pizza cooks rolled and spun the pizza dough behind a glass window in front that was visible to guests near the entrance of the restaurant, which of course was fascinating to watch as a keiki.

Also remember they had really long cafeteria-style wood bench seating, which made it a fun place for big families to throw parties. There was also an arcade room in back with a bunch of pinball machines (and maybe a video game or two; I forget).

IIRC, their brick oven pizza was really good too! Then again, for most kids under 10, ANY pizza is good.
                                I have fond memories of Shakey's too, back in the day. But nostalgia only goes so far in sustaining a business in a changing marketplace. One need only look at the limited success that Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour has had since it re-emerged in Hawaii several years ago.

What's next? Will Pioneer Chicken make a comeback?
                                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Working...
                                X