Not much action here. Why for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Not much action here. Why for?

68-Eldo, I agree that f/b & twitter are part of the problem, but believe me when I tell you that the current circumstance was a long time in the making.

Check out the opening post in this thread:

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
    Seriously!!! What's going on around this forum lately? It seems like most of the nice folks are consistantly being run off or badgered into a lurkers' existence because of a handful of mean, bitter s.o.b.'s who nitpick and naysay, criticize and attack, and generally bring their negativity and aggression/intimidation to so many threads. This site is way less interesting because of these 'children'.

Enough, I say!! Nice people unite!! Don't be scared off! Come back!!

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthr...hreads+funding

Amati,

The point I was trying (and obviously failed) to make was that while government silently creeps into all electronic communications for the purpose of copying and storing that data, it also injects itself directly into discussions for the purpose of manipulating public sentiment to reflect the view of the government.

http://filmingcops.com/yes-there-are...-and-websites/

Comment

Two responses:

What's that old adage, "don't believe everything you read". Guess it still applies today too, and is extended to cyber space.

I've made use of the HT "block" feature for a long time. It has served me well in avoiding posters that I find offensive or utterly argumentative.
      Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Amati.

You're exactly right.

I couldn't agree more.

The hard part is when you're maybe not the most articulate person (Okay, YES! I qualify) and you make a post with no harm intended, and then some thin skinned person with an insecurity complex (let's just for argument sake call them "Admin-sanctioned trolls") responds.

I'm always willing to give people at least enough latitude to ask for clarification where it's warranted. But in a forum discussion where unrelated (and unaffected) individuals inject themselves into the discussion (as has happened to me in the past) for no other reason than to aggrandize their own position in the forum; manufacturing an issue to expressing artificial indignation, ...well then it really all starts to get ridiculously silly.

...and you've really go to wonder about why an Admin would be so uncomfortable about having a forum member repost his response to inquiry on such an issue. But, i suppose that the current forum traffic is pretty much self-explanitory.

...still wondering about the funding, though.

Aloha,

W/M

Comment

Woodman, Well, since the blocked list does not expire, I'm still in good shape around here after all this time in having a bit of screening of posters who I simply do not want to read their posts. Keep that in mind as a good tool to use, and maybe give HT another try for awhile, at least you know you can eliminate cranks from your screen. (You have to be signed in for the block to work.)
          Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

oh man, when HT was poppin' around 2005-2007, I'd often stay here for hours. Miss those days and a few of the regulars.

Also used to post on walaau.net
            Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

I figure I’d make what has become an annual appearance at best. I can see things haven’t changed too much around here. I will ask about some of the issues being circulated in this thread the next time I see “founding admin” in person. Which could be awhile considering how busy life has become for many of us. I will say no one is immune from having a “feud” which was a contributing factor to the sharp decrease in traffic.

The main factor, like others have alluded to here, is that Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. are where the majority spend their “social media” time now. Heck, if these sites caused the once-mighty "MySpace" site to tumble as far as it has, it’s no wonder chat forums like this have been reduced to “special interest” (i.e. gaming, tech support, etc.) sites without a core base of participants.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
              USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                ...I will say no one is immune from having a “feud” which was a contributing factor to the sharp decrease in traffic.

The main factor, like others have alluded to here, is that Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. are where the majority spend their “social media” time now. Heck, if these sites caused the once-mighty "MySpace" site to tumble as far as it has, it’s no wonder chat forums like this have been reduced to “special interest” (i.e. gaming, tech support, etc.) sites without a core base of participants.
                When I used to visit regularly, I noticed that a lot of local mainstream media personalities would visit this site. They would post on any number of issues, and from what I could tell, it was pretty clear that they were also reading through topics to get (and more importantly to gauge) local opinion.

Given that admin sanctioned trolls are allowed to roam freely and trash members with whom they disagreed (like a vigilante posse of moderators only without any rules guide them, and apparently without any oversight to reign them in) while complaints to Admin fell on deaf ears, I always suspected that this might actually be a government funded site, the purpose of which would be (through use of media personalities) to gauge and manipulate popular public sentiment and, perhaps to a lesser degree, disseminate propaganda.

I’m not saying it IS.
                I’m just saying it's suspicious.

You see, sites like this cost $$ to maintain, and when the site is no longer productive to a private owner whose funds (unlike a State Government) are comparatively limited, then that person would (sooner or later) have to shut down the site.

Now I guess if a person is rich enough, they could probably afford to ignore the loss and piss the money away by continuing to fund the site, but I’ve NEVER met a rich person who wasn’t meticulous about maintaining their finances, a common character trait perhaps indicating (at least one aspect of) how they amassed their wealth in the first place.

But a site that’s been set up by a State Institution would probably be allocated operational funding on a regular basis and could be kept running indefinitely.

The funding for the site, once established, need NOT be monitored since it is already a known factor. It only needs to be maintained. Moreover, many state institutions operate on a “baseline budgeting” format that creates an incentive to NOT STOP programs, even if they are unproductive.

Under baseline budgeting, if an state institution shuts down a program and does not find (re-designate) use of the $$ that funded the program, it will not only forfeit the funding in their current budget, it will also lose that funding in the next budget cycle.

If you think it sounds a bit far-fetched, you might be surprised to discover that it is not uncommon for governments to actually use the media as a tool to manipulate public opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDCfTIapds0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elgvr5Vb2m4

So, if H/T is actually a state-sponsored tool (…and I want to be clear that I’m not saying it is), then it’s not unlikely that propagandists would have moved on to other (more highly trafficked) media platforms like facebook and twitter; each of which is already being manipulated at a higher level.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexkantrow...Xj#.fnw89zx9DY

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ons-news-feeds

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.973e7f605667

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2016/11/...ensorship.html

…So, could it really be that much of a reach to suspect that similar tactics might be in use at the state or local level?

Meanwhile, operational funding would continue, and the site would, of course, continue functioning as it has in the past.

Again, I'm not saying it is.
                I’m just throwing it out there.

Comment

HawaiiThreads is a private, totally funded and maintained by the admin. I think it is hosted on Dreamhost which allows any individual or firm to run multiple websites and blogs on a single account that is paid for on a biennial basis. I have a handful of sites on the same service.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I’m with Mel. I also have a few web sites. The two expenses you must have are registration of a domain name, like HawaiiThreads.com. You can register a .com domain name for $12 per year depending on what company you register it through.
                    The second thing you need is a server where the web page resides. You can rent web page space for about $120 per year.
                    You can lean to write your own web pages but for a site like Hawaii Threads you can buy a built page. Hawaii Threads is run by vBulletin which cost $250, a onetime cost. But some of these things are free.
                    You can spend more if you hire the page design and have a professional maintain it. But admin on this site is tech savvy enough he probably maintains it himself.
                    "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
                    Ayn Rand

Comment

Got a "Happy Birthday" email from HawaiiThreads, so I thought I'd click on the link to see what's going on here... mostly crickets... for me, personally, I guess I just have moved on to Facebook mostly. Back in the day, I used to spend time here, on twitter and on Myspace. Now it's FB and sometimes instagram.
                      would be fun though, if it could get back to it's "glory days"
                      I'd rather be ... LOST

sigpic

Comment

More evidence of forum manipulation; this one on a national level (...but No! That could NEVER happen here!).

http://dailycaller.com/2017/05/31/re...fake-comments/

Comment

the dailybawler? heh heh
                          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                            the dailybawler? heh heh
                            More of the same member-degrading innuendo that has made the forum what it is today?

YOU be the judge.

Our lines are open.

Comment

Here's another FACT-BASED report about social media manipulation (right in line with what liberal UK physicist, Stephen Hawking has been saying for more than 20 years), ...but it was posted in a right-wing website.

OMG!

*Major Conundrum*

Tin-foil hat "conspiracy-theorists" @ Infowars.com verify MAJOR hypothesis of ultra liberal icon, Stephen Hawking, proving that AI is capable of social-media manipulation.

https://www.infowars.com/facebooks-a...-new-language/

To deny this is tantamount to impugning the work of a severely disabled, liberal, celebrity who has reasonably argued for years that AI is not necessarily a benefit (but actually a threat) to mankind.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-30290540

WHAT TO DO, NOW?

1.) attack the messenger who posted the info. (Already done frequently on this site.)

2.) attack the site that reported the info. (Old tactic. Getting older every day. People want REAL facts in discussion. Hyperbole of identity politics has become repetitiously overused to the point where it is no longer effective, ... except among the most weak-minded; i.e. low-information voters).

3.) attack any credible source that could verify the info (...really, you're going to attack Stephen Hawking), and by doing so risk discrediting a liberal icon who supports a globalist agenda?

I'm guessing that last one might constitute a violation of some sort of unwritten forum rules.
                              Last edited by woodman; June 15, 2017, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by woodman View Post
                                Here's another FACT-BASED report about social media manipulation ...
                                Dude, you're missing the point. At least a few of us who still visit (and even post) on this site know the admin IN PERSON. No one is arguing that sites do NOT exist that may be “state-sponsored media.” But your original argument that a “sanctioned troll” can come in here, bully members, and/or seemingly get away with it — as evidence THIS site is “infected” — is downright stupid.

The reason that type of activity existed in this site’s heyday is that admin and his “delegated department admins” (mel, helen, etc.) have lives, too. They could not and cannot be checking every waking minute of every hour to see that someone’s feelings were hurt and need to be spanked. But I also can tell you I know admin made a difficult choice to BAN someone from this forum even though he had known that person for YEARS — in person — before even creating this site. So yeah. No was then or are they now in a position to tell admin what can and cannot be posted here or whether or not he should lay down the law.

Mahalo for reading.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                                USA TODAY, page 2A
                                11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                                X