Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Leaving A Tip When Eating Out...

Originally posted by AlohaKine View Post
    What's more insulting than leaving nothing is leaving a couple pennies or a nickel. I've never been rude like that but I've seen others do it.
    Although it may be "rude", the reality is that it is an acknowledged form of tipping "shorthand" within the resturant business that says: "No I did not forget to tip you, and no I am not they type of person who never tips, but the reason you are not getting a decent tip is because you suck as a waiter/waitress". Leaving no money leaves the possiblity open that you are just a cheap customer. But intentionally leaving a few cents leaves the message that the wait help was baaaddd.
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
      Although it may be "rude", the reality is that it is an acknowledged form of tipping "shorthand" within the resturant business that says: "No I did not forget to tip you, and no I am not they type of person who never tips, but the reason you are not getting a decent tip is because you suck as a waiter/waitress". Leaving no money leaves the possiblity open that you are just a cheap customer. But intentionally leaving a few cents leaves the message that the wait help was baaaddd.
      That's how I've always seen it, too.

I remember one restaurant owner here in Seattle (long out of the business now) who, if he felt you left too small a tip, would chase after you once you left the premises. He would swear loudly about how cheap you were, and throw your tip money back in your face, telling you never to return.

It never happened to me, but I witnessed it happening, and a friend who worked there told me it was an occasional occurrence. I always wondered (1) what the owner did to compensate the wait-person who now got NO tip, and (2) what he would do about low tips left on credit cards?

Comment

I had one incident with a waiter where I seriously thought he was going to harm me for not tipping. The look on his face when he looked at the receipt (where I'd crossed out the tip line) was truly frightening. Then he looked on the table and saw the tip in cash and the look went away in an instant. The sad thing is that he was a crappy waiter -- forgot our silverware, then kept ignoring us when I tried to ask for some, and got really annoyed when we wanted drink refills. I had every right to -not- tip him, but he probably would have waited for us to leave and then mugged us in an alley or something.
        Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
        Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
          I can't believe there is no response to this assinine happening. Havn't read the full article and just to go off half-cocked on the thot of what it all may be, I hope there is major litigation against all involved.
          How I would love for it to happen to me!
          Not everybody takes the time to read all the links inserted in posts - especially when it's a subject of little interest and/or posted by someone who makes extensive use of links without an intro to the link.

Don't be surprised.

Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
          ~ ~
          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

intentionally leaving a few cents leaves the message that the wait help was baaaddd.
            Does this help anyone? Will the wait help improve their service (as we would hope)? Would they continue to take their frustration out on other customers (some who are intimidated into 15-20%), and others who would find 'another way?'

I like the idea of tipping for exceptional service, but we are expected to tip 15% for 'adequate' service and more for exceptional.

This is a custom which needs adjusting.

K
            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
            ~ ~
            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

intentionally leaving a few cents leaves the message that the wait help was baaaddd.
              Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
              Does this help anyone? Will the wait help improve their service (as we would hope)? Would they continue to take their frustration out on other customers (some who are intimidated into 15-20%), and others who would find 'another way?
              Most likely it would not "help anyone". The purpose of tipping is not to help others [except, of course, to help the server who is able to put the tip into his pocket]. I do not think that most people who are in the process of tipping a server are concerned with the effects of the tipping outside of the direct relationship between the single server and the single customer in that one interaction (but if a customer has a favorite server, they might tip them extra each time to show appreciation for continuous good service). From my perspective as a customer, I don't use tipping a training mechanism, I use it as a "thank you for good service".

I probably tip +95% of the time. It is not even absent-minded service that makes me mad, it is a bad attitude that gets me fuming.

Comment

Originally posted by Fritz View Post
                I think the restaurant should pay their employees a wage and charge the diners accordingly. It's as simple as that.
                That's the way it works in most US businesses, isn't it? Why are restaurants, taxis, and beauty salons different? Why don't those businesses pay their workers a decent wage?
                Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                  That's the way it works in most US businesses, isn't it? Why are restaurants, taxis, and beauty salons different? Why don't those businesses pay their workers a decent wage?
                  Yes, that is in enteresting thing about those professions. It is almost like the employer considers the workers "on commission", and pays them a very minimum. The "commission" is in the form of a tip.

Meanwhile, to the customer, it comes out costing the same. The customer is paying the food costs plus the employee costs, just in two forms (tab plus tip).

And might as well add doormen, bellhops, and curbside airport porters to the list of "why aren't they just paid more instead of having the customer tip".

Comment

Many restaurant workers prefer the tip system... well, the good ones that work in busy restaurants. My Mom's friends made so much money in tips that one was the breadwinner in the family with two kids, and the other remained single and bought three condos - one for herself, and two rentals.

Comment

• Re: Leaving A Tip When Eating Out...

Originally posted by Sharilyn View Post
                      Many restaurant workers prefer the tip system... well, the good ones that work in busy restaurants. My Mom's friends made so much money in tips that one was the breadwinner in the family with two kids, and the other remained single and bought three condos - one for herself, and two rentals.
                      So maybe a 10% tip is fair?
                      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I was watching the amusing "DRAG ME TO HELL" and there was a scene in the movie that parallels to this thread.....

Waitress: So you're just going to sit here all night, drinking coffee?
                        Christine Brown: Yes... No! Maybe! Whats it to you?
                        Waitress: Honey, I'm working a job where tips is my living, and coffee drinkers DON'T TIP!
                        Christine Brown: [Holds up envelope containing the cursed button] You keep the coffee coming honey, or I'll give you a tip you won't forget!

As original threader to this lively discussion I still stand by when dining out...
                        Good Service Given = Tip% Based on Bill Amount Left Behind In Return When Leaving....

Still... I experience the now and then not followed up on drinks or trying to get the waiters attention to get another drink or could I get more of this but gets dissed or he/she takes off too quickly to get a word in edgewise. I really HATE THAT and I don't like begging for something I wanted 5 minutes ago!
                        Sorry bet I penalize for service like that. Just the other nite as me and my roomates were leaving I purposely sifted $1 out of the tip. Yes, I am cruel but when the waiter did not acknowledge/attend to my needs I have ways to return the favor.

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                          So maybe a 10% tip is fair?
                          Oops, I wasn't trying to imply that all waiters earn a lot of money. My Mom's friends worked in resort area restaurants, and worked their butts off.

Oh, I just remembered, I used to work in a bank, and the bar hostesses would come in every Monday to deposit their tips. Usually $9,000 cash at a time, to avoid having to report to the IRS. The rest would go into their safety deposit box. :-)

Comment

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/brees-a...5129--nfl.html

Don't forget to tip your take out waiters?

Comment

Working...
                            X