Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Leaving A Tip When Eating Out...

Originally posted by DannyWilliams View Post
    Makes me wonder do the waiters and chefs that prepares YOUR food really do as what is seen in this movie?

It's the scene where the difficult woman and Ryan Reynolds steps in to assist.

And yes as the original threader chimes back in....... Regardless of Dennys or a 5 Star Eating Establishment a tip is ALWAYS based on service received.
    why should you never tick off your server? i've dated a few who worked at fine dining restaurants, and here are some things they have done after being ticked off by customers:

1. add "warm yellow salt" from their netherparts to water
    2. add "swirl-o-dead-cockroach" into water
    3. spit on saucy food and mixed it up, thereby disguising the "special sace"
    4. place an empty coffee cup, lip down, on a coffee percolater burner for a minute, take cup to offending customer, fill it with tea/coffee/cocoa...then watch customer burn lips on cup (bcs liquid in cup and the part where you hold the cup seem normal, safe temperature).

mind you, this was done with their co-workers knowing...and all watching as the customer injested the extra flavoring or burnt their lips,

you wanna be stupid enough to abuse your server...AND THEN tip him a huge amount? go ahead--and confirm for your server how stupid you are. just hope you don't have a server who thinks putting visine in your water is only gonna give you diarrhea. it probably won't give you the runs, but even a quarter of a visine bottle will likely cause cardiac and respiratory problems--even coma (despite what is played out in "Wedding Crashers.")

oh--let me pass on that servers HATE when you put your hand over your coffee cup as a way to say you don't want coffee. too many people sorta nod that they do want coffee, then at the last moment, put their hand over their cup, thereby making the server jerk and sometimes splash coffee on the table, if he doesn't choose to just go ahead and pour right on your hand.

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
    I start at 20% and go up or down from there. Two things that annoy me most are carelessly prepared food and a water glass that sits empty for too long. Hello, Sanoya Ramen! Are you listening?

If I'm eating somewhere especially inexpensive and my check comes out to, say, seven bucks, I'll leave two dollars, which is a bit more than 20%.

If it's the Christmas season, I'll leave a bit more. If someone else picks up the check, I'll leave even more.

It's just a couple of bucks. If I've got it, I don't mind sharing it.
    i stopped going to sanoya about five years ago. part of it was the general bad service. part of it was that they kicked out one member of a six-person party bcs that one person was the only person not ordering food. the kicker was when i had heard that a friend ate almost all his ramen...and found a 1 1/2 inch long roach at the bottom. i guess that guy's food was carelessly prepared.

as for tipping, i am an english major, and exceedingly allergic to math. i used to use my little tipping card or my cell phone's calculator. the beau (a former server and journalism major who somehow managed also to be left-brain enough to do well in calculus--he's an anomaly, i tell you) taught me the following trick:

look at the total on the tab, check the first digit and multiply by that digit two. that gives a rough 20%. then add/subtract a lil/lot more based on competency for type of establishment.

not as easy as moving a decimal, but it works for me!
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

I stopped going to Sanoya after I found a pube in my ramen.

No kidding.

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
        Being on both sides of the table, as a waiter and a customer,I believe it should be based on the service, but I also believe that you should NEVER piss off your food server. I've seen so many nasty things done by(angry) waiters that to tell them here, would make you never eat out again.

That being said, should the person who make you a latte at say, Starbucks be tipped? I do it all the time.
        I've been on both sides of the table as well. I credit working in the food/bar industry in my late teens/early 20s to be among the best training ground for developing work ethic and people skills.

I never go into a food establishment without paying attention to the service, skill and attitude of my server, and if noticeable, that of his/her supervisor. I try to balance empathy with reasonable expectation. I can be a bit of a high-maintenance patron. Not disrespectful, but asking for extra this/that, a new fork, moving tables. I enjoy leaving a respectable tip, and if the service was exemplary, I express it my server. I remember how important such feedback was to me so much so that some of those instances have never been forgotten.
        Last edited by Pua'i Mana'o; March 23, 2007, 09:26 AM.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
          I credit working in the food/bar industry in my late teens/early 20s to be among the best training ground for developing work ethic and people skills.
          Many nations have a mandatory military-service requirement for their citizens. I've long thought we should have a mandatory food-service requirement, six months, for example. For the reasons noted above, as well as a deeper appreciation for those who serve us when we dine out.

I find that those who ask "why tip?" generally have never worked in food-service. Those who have, already know the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
            Many nations have a mandatory military-service requirement for their citizens. I've long thought we should have a mandatory food-service requirement, six months, for example.
            We have that. It's called School Cafeteria Duty.

The reason we no get tip because the teachers no come to the food line.
            Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by dick View Post
              I stopped going to Sanoya after I found a pube in my ramen.

No kidding.

ewwwwww does the health inspector there know about this?

Comment

service, friendliness, efficiency, timing of the food, (did my main dish come five mins after my appetizer or was it spaced properly), drink refills.

I dont care how busy the restuarnt is, if you dont greet me within 5 mins of sitting down your tip start starts diminshing. if the drinks are not promptly refilled, tip goes down, if you set my apetizer down then five mins later bring me my dinner.... you bet Im talking to your boss, if the server is bitchy or snarky the tip goes down and I talk to your boss.

servers are trained to provide a great dining experience not just bring you your food , so if my experience is crap your tip is crap. do a good job your tip is excellent. I have even gone so far as to leave a note why their tip was so small. as well as speak to the manager.

oh an if you are new you should say so itll give you some leway with me.
                Support Lung Cancer Research

Comment

Originally posted by kaneohegirl View Post
                  service, friendliness, efficiency, timing of the food, (did my main dish come five mins after my appetizer or was it spaced properly), drink refills.

I dont care how busy the restuarnt is, if you dont greet me within 5 mins of sitting down your tip start starts diminshing. if the drinks are not promptly refilled, tip goes down, if you set my apetizer down then five mins later bring me my dinner.... you bet Im talking to your boss, if the server is bitchy or snarky the tip goes down and I talk to your boss.

servers are trained to provide a great dining experience not just bring you your food , so if my experience is crap your tip is crap. do a good job your tip is excellent. I have even gone so far as to leave a note why their tip was so small. as well as speak to the manager.

oh an if you are new you should say so itll give you some leway with me.

wow. let's hope that you don't have to "talk to the boss" too often or unnecessarily or that your standards are unilateral.

i mean, it's stupid to hold a server at denny's to the same appetizer-meal serving time spacing guidelines as a server at, let's say, thomas kemper's bouchon in vegas or even la mer here in honolulu. that's like expecting someone who only had an eighth grade education and had to learn english as a second language to have the same level of writing skills and be as conversant in shakespeare as another who went to the stanford and had an english professor as a parent.

if you bitch to the manager of the front of the house about not getting the magically self-refilling water glass effect when the restaurant is slammed and everyone on the floor was busting their asses, the manager will, of course, apologize profusely to you. but she or he will think you're a hag for it, and will tell the staff to shrug off your criticisms. restaurant staff have long memories, and just as much as you are unforgiving about your expectations, they will happily seek retribution the moment you walk through the restaurant door. even if you don't sit at the section of the server about whom you last "talked to the manager" or for whom you left a pittance of a crap tip, do not think for a millisecond that they are not in a position to give you some "extra flavor."
                  superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                    I have to ask, why? At what point where this becomes ridiculous? What about the delivery guy who trucks in the coffee beans and cups? You don't think paying more than $3 for a Tall is more than enough compensation? At the end of the day, it's your money and who am I to say what you can do with it. But it just feels like setting up a lot of bad precedence. Soon, I won't be able to even ask for extra napkins at a fast food joint without tipping.
                    Because the person performed a service.
                    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                    Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by DannyWilliams View Post
                      Makes me wonder do the waiters and chefs that prepares YOUR food really do as what is seen in this movie?

It's the scene where the difficult woman and Ryan Reynolds steps in to assist.

And yes as the original threader chimes back in....... Regardless of Dennys or a 5 Star Eating Establishment a tip is ALWAYS based on service received.
                      I seen coworkers actually spit a luggie on a difficult customer's salad and cover it with bleu cheese dressing....be nice always! BTW...you actually watched a Dane Cook movie?
                      Last edited by alohabear; March 25, 2007, 04:28 PM.
                      Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                      Flickr

Comment

I actually liked Waiting...one of those movies you can watch, be kind of entertained, and doesn't require any real brain activity. Not to mention, I could relate to a good portion of it and it has its cringe (like gross eww or in some cases omg ouch omggg) moments.

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
                          BTW...you actually watched a Dane Cook movie?

who?

Reasons why I saw "Waiting"

1. A "What If" Look at the life of characters at a Resturaunt Establishment
                          2. The movie had actors Ryan Reynolds, Ana Faris & Justin Long

no sorry, Dane was not on my list of reasons why I saw this movie.

Comment

How much do you tip a sushi chef is you are sitting at the bar?
                            just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Franco Mancassola, the founder of two defunct airlines (Discovery and Debonair Airways), shares his view on the subject of restaurant tipping.
                              Last edited by Frankie's Market; November 17, 2009, 01:57 AM.
                              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I've known too many servers personally. I know they get poor salaries (in general), and their employers drive them to rely on tips to supplement those salaries. This, in turn, is supposed to motivate them to please the customers with exceptional service so that they get exceptional tips.

High-end restaurants, however, are an exception to the 15% standard. I'm not going to tip someone more than what would amount to a reasonable salary for a half-hour of attention.

So are fast-food restaurants an exception. What service? I resent places like McDonalds and Subway leaving out tip Jars.

The average restaurant, where a server works for you, helping you make choices, telling you what to avoid, paying attention rather than gossiping in the kitchen... I believe they deserve a tip.

I tip 15% for very good service and 20% for exceptional service. For poor service, I leave a small tip, like a dollar: that tells them I didn't forget, but I was NOT impressed.

If I have a $500 dinner bill with exceptional service I'd hardly leave $100! Maybe $20 or $25. Unless it was for a party of 10, in which case the server earned the $100.

You have to consider the overall cost vs. the number in the party vs. the quality of the service.

People like the guy Frankie mentioned - ultra rich who can afford to go to expensive restaurants for 'social/economical experiments,' who can afford a tip and leave nothing out of spite, impress me as just being arrogant and greedy. I wouldn't be surprised if the servers didn't give them good service because they knew there would be no pay-back.

A tip is a reward for good to exceptional service; restaurants which automatically add tips are off my list.

In Hawaii, because some travelers/tourists are unaware of American tipping customs, reminders are appropriate, but guidelines should be included as well.

K
                                Last edited by Kaonohi; November 17, 2009, 01:58 PM.
                                Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                                ~ ~
                                Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                                Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                                Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Working...
                                X