RICE? what kind brand you like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RICE? what kind brand you like?

what kind you like? i am looking for some with lots of flavour like good jasmine but dont know what brand to buy ... so many to choose from!

Re: RICE? what kind brand you like?

Don't know if they have it there but I buy Three Elephant Jasmine rice.
    -kp!

Comment

Tilda Basmati--just because their Indian commercial jingle from the 80s still comes into my head!

Comment

Any kind of Thai Jasmine or Texmati (domestic basmati).

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by OnoLoa View Post
          what kind you like? i am looking for some with lots of flavour like good jasmine but dont know what brand to buy ... so many to choose from!
          Go to Down to Earth. They have different varieties by the pound. Try a little of each and see which one you like best. Then go look for it by bulk.
          My fave is either white or brown basmati, especially with a good thai curry over it.

Oops. Sorry, you're looking for a particular brand. Can't help you there. We don't eat enough "exotic" rice to buy by bulk so it's usually from Down to Earth.

Comment

neither of my suggestions below are jasmine rice, and both are kinda expensive, but neither the beau nor i eat rice at every meal or even every day. plus the beau, taking after his old-school local japanese father, is a complete rice snob. eric is known for dismissing a restaurant simply by saying, "they serve zippy's quality rice."

tamaki white rice (gold): high quality japanese short grained white rice, grown in california. when you cook this rice, the smell is so fragrant and sweet in a ricey way. i understand this rice is preferred amongst many local chefs who prepare japanese food or sushi. the rice has a pearl-like sheen and the rice grains are very uniform--a sign of high quality short grain. it cooks really sticky and retains its pretty sheen. this rice, too, is expensive, but i've gotten it for i think $7.00 5 lb bag at i think marukai. this rice is a treat to eat--it seems to make whatever we're having with it taste better, even if it's something as simple as salt and pepper fried akule.

tamanishiki brown rice: high quality japanese brown rice. this is the rice we eat most bcs um, we're getting older and we need the fiber. i'm happy if i can even find this rice and gladly pay $8.00 for 5 lbs of it. it's sweet and when i cook it in the rice cooker, somehow the bottom seems to "carmelize" a little bit, leaving a slightly chewier yet completely enjoyable texture for that small layer of rice that touches the rice pot. i swear, eating this rice can make my day.

a trick that my @sstard ex-boyfriend's grandma taught me to make even hinode or tsurumai or diamond g rice (all of which the current boyfriend hates) taste better is to add some mochi rice in the mix--say 1 cup mochi rice to two cups regular rice.

one more trick, taught to me by my beloved mama (grandma) is to put a teaspoon of vinegar--cider or white--into the water and mix it in just before you cook it. yes, you will smell a bit of vinegar as it cooks, but you won't taste it at all. why do this? because it keeps the rice from spoiling as fast as it would without it. for example, i've absentmindedly left half a 3 cup pot of rice out on the counter for a little more than 24 hours in kaimuki and it was spoiled. i did that again (i tend to the absentminded sometimes), this time with rice that had vinegar in the cooking water and it was fine.

what i wanna know is where to get that lovely brown rice that many thai restaurants sell. it's the one that has a pretty red brick shaded bit of husk on about 40-60% of the grains when you eat it. can i get that at down to earth?
            superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
              Go to Down to Earth. They have different varieties by the pound. Try a little of each and see which one you like best. Then go look for it by bulk.
              My fave is either white or brown basmati, especially with a good thai curry over it.

Oops. Sorry, you're looking for a particular brand. Can't help you there. We don't eat enough "exotic" rice to buy by bulk so it's usually from Down to Earth.
              WOW! .. didnt even think of that! I'll try it ! rice is one thing i dont mind paying for.... just want it to be ONO! mahalo for your suggestion

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
                neither of my suggestions below are jasmine rice, and both are kinda expensive, but neither the beau nor i eat rice at every meal or even every day. plus the beau, taking after his old-school local japanese father, is a complete rice snob. eric is known for dismissing a restaurant simply by saying, "they serve zippy's quality rice."
                thanks for your reply! would love to try that rice ...white or brown. where do you like to get it? mahalo for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by OnoLoa View Post
                  thanks for your reply! would love to try that rice ...white or brown. where do you like to get it? mahalo for the help!
                  i've had to hunt for both brands of rice, but i've seen one and/or the other in safeway, star and marukai.
                  superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Mahalo to everyone for your advice. good rice is SO good when its the right stuff

Comment

Da kine dat costs less than $7 a bag!!!!

Comment

I like the Hinodoe White Rice and California Brown Rice. I been eating more brown rice because its healthier for you.
                        Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

We eat Kagayaki rice from Marukai. It's a California short-grain rice, and the closest thing to Japanese rice.

Tamanishiki has a similar taste, but Kagayaki tastes better to me.

Comment

Whatever is the cheapest. Rice is a staple not a gourmet food item, you eat it not savor it.

If you want the Walmart rice to taste really good, add some rice vinegar when it's cooking.

Now after saying that I like to eat some good old Thai sticky rice only because it has more body than standard Hinode, Calrose, Fukusuki (whatever) brand rice.

Rice tastes good with Kim Chee and teri beef loaded with grizzle. Hemo da Aloha Brand shoyu (cuz it's sweet) ova da rice and mac salad and forget the cholesterol count for the day
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

All the "cheap" brands sold here are of the same variety. Calrose medium grain in different packages.

My wife is somewhat of a rice snob and she's impressed our relatives from Japan, whom everyone knows are the ultimate rice snobs, with the cheap stuff. It has something to do with how it's washed and how long it's presoaked before cooking. I don't know what she does, but I can't tell the difference. Her relatives are shocked that they were served cheap rice that tasted like premium rice. The difference can be real subtle. Even the kind of water you use can change the flavor, evidently. I watch Soko.

Comment

Working...
                              X