Shake and Quake!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Shake and Quake!

Guess were not the only ones getting shook up these days.

WELLINGTON, New Zealand - A strong earthquake struck in the ocean southwest of New Zealand late Tuesday, the U.S. Geological Survey
    reported, but police said they had no immediate reports of injury or damage. The agency did not mention any tsunami alert.
    The quake, which registered magnitude 5.8, struck at 11:35 p.m.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061017/...NlYwMlJVRPUCUl
    WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - A "micro" earthquake with a 2.6 magnitude rattled central North Carolina early Tuesday,
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061017/...NlYwMlJVRPUCUl
    SYDNEY (AFP) - A strong earthquake with a magnitude of up to 6.8 has struck the New Britain region of Papua New Guinea, sparking a tsunami warning in a region recently shaken by a violent volcanic eruption. The US-based Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre warned regional authorities Tuesday to stay alert after reporting the temblor -- which it rated at 6.8 -- struck to the south of the island of New Britain in the Solomon Sea at 0125 GMT.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20061017...NlYwMlJVRPUCUl

WHATS GOING ON!
    Last edited by damontucker; October 17, 2006, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Theories I've heard in the last 48 hrs:

-had a tsunami been generated because of the Alenuihaha Channel quakes, it would have struck the Kona coast in as little as seven minutes.

-Kona is not out of the woods: the depth and proximity of the largest southern earthquake was close enough to some major underground lava channels that there are concerns of the quake activity setting off either Mauna Loa and/or Hualalai.

-it's all Kim Jong Ill's fault

pax

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
        we need a backup cross-Koolau transmission line or a new power station or two... how likely do you think either will be in the next decade? And how much more will the island population grow in that time. I don't think it'll be "99.98 percent reliable" for long.
        The state should start seriously considering distributed generation strategies: Solar panels. We get more than enough sunlight here to do it. No fuel to burn. No moving parts.

It's possible for each single-family home to generate enough power for itself. But biggest hurdle is cost: About $20,000 to $50,000 depending on how much power they'd like to generate and what sort of system is installed (battery storage vs net metering, etc.). Avoid buying that Hummer or a couple of cars and it's paid for.

By having distributed generation, there's no need for additional transmission lines as the load would be carried locally.

I'm wondering how the retirement facility "Arcadia" (on Punahou Street near Maryknoll School) coped with this since they always generate their own electricity anyway. I believe they might actually be living off the grid.

There's a number of issues that have to be solved regarding self-powered homes inadvertently energizing transmission lines and injuring linemen. If those safety problems can be solved, distributed power generation by means of solar-electric panels seems to make a whole lot of sense.

The only other concern is hurricane damage. Perhaps they could be designed to be unplugged and quickly removed from their mounts when a major storm approaches.

Comment

i'm sure someone will have an easy answer for this but i just learned (to my great surprise) that my friend who lives in manoa had water all day while i live in a condo (makiki) where the water stopped flowing immediately after we lost power/electricity. i can understand us not having water cuz a pump must be used to push the water up to the top floors but why did my friend (who lives in a house) have water all day? is the water stored at a higher level than his house and so gravity is what pushes the water to the residents of manoa?

sorry for this dumb question but i was amazed when i heard my friend say that he always had running water on sunday....
          525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

I had water all day... nothing wrong with mine...(even had hot water all day because of my Gas water heater)
            I live just off the Ala Wai.

Didn't you answer your own question about the pump?
            Last edited by damontucker; October 17, 2006, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
              The Big Island is slowly sinking due to its great weight that bends the outer rigid layer of the earth, according to the 2005 County of Hawaii General Plan. As the volcanoes grow, their weight is greater than what the earth can support.
              There's a section of South Kona that's slowly shifting and sinking toward the sea.

Some geologists are concerned that a large section, measuring miles across, might suddenly "slump" one day and the results would be absolutely catastrophic. The huge surge produced by a seriously large slump into the ocean would literally scrub low-lying communities right off the land.

Similar slumps can be seen on other islands. The dramatic sea cliffs on the north coast of Molokai is the result of a huge slump. So is the Pali -- Kailua and Kaneohe used to be at a higher elevation.

No one knows when the next slump might happen. But it's the result of piling materials up over time. Eventually the pile settles (slumps).

When the quake hit, this thought briefly crossed my mind. That's what happens if you watch too much of the Discovery Channel and Nova. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice View Post
                i'm sure someone will have an easy answer for this but i just learned (to my great surprise) that my friend who lives in manoa had water all day while i live in a condo (makiki) where the water stopped flowing immediately after we lost power/electricity. i can understand us not having water cuz a pump must be used to push the water up to the top floors but why did my friend (who lives in a house) have water all day? is the water stored at a higher level than his house and so gravity is what pushes the water to the residents of manoa?

sorry for this dumb question but i was amazed when i heard my friend say that he always had running water on sunday....
                Somebody from the Board of Water Supply explained this on Sunday to Perry and Price: It takes power to pump water up to the holding tanks, but once there all the water flows to the customer via gravity. Once the tanks empty, if the power's out, no more water until the pumps can be powered up again.
                http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice View Post

Some neighborhoods get their water from big water storage tanks up above them in the hills. Water gets pumped from the wells to the storage tanks, and then the water flows down to homes by gravity. This works even when the power's off -- until the tank runs dry because there's no new water coming in to replenish it.

Edit: Scooped by the Linkmeister!

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
                    There's a section of South Kona that's slowly shifting and sinking toward the sea.
                    I believe you are mistaken, As far as I understand it is on the Puna coastline,
                    specifically Kapoho that is slowly sinking into the sea. link
                    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                    The Kona Blog

Comment

The most unnerving thing is these aftershocks may last for weeks according this
                      article (link)
                      Last edited by Konaguy; October 17, 2006, 12:04 PM.
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister View Post
                        Somebody from the Board of Water Supply explained this on Sunday to Perry and Price: It takes power to pump water up to the holding tanks, but once there all the water flows to the customer via gravity. Once the tanks empty, if the power's out, no more water until the pumps can be powered up again.
                        thanks link and glenn; i guess that must be it. there must be some holding tanks above where my friend lives. lucky dog. in this condo, water was not available almost immediately after we lost power (which was like 2 minutes after the first two big quakes). couldn't use the toilets, couldn't wash things; fortunately, we had a case of water from costco...

on a related note, did they drive in a ton of portable pottys to the airport???
                        525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Amazing story about the earthquake posted here (link)

"Strong shaking on Kaua`i" for a Big Island earthquake of less than
                          magnitude 7 could only mean that the earthquake was too deep to cause a
                          tsunami. The scattering and attenuation of seismic waves from a
                          shallower source would have cut down the energy so much that "strong"
                          would not have been an appropriate word. "Strong shaking on Kaua`i"
                          meant that we had called the thing correctly."

"Several minutes after her call (minutes that would have been precious
                          if there really had been a damaging tsunami), we got our proof: tsunami
                          waves only four inches from peak to trough rolled gently into Kawaihae
                          Harbor. There was no tsunami danger for anyone. "
                          The Kona Blog

Comment

• Recovery from quake

I just heard about the earthquake the Big Island has had and, for one thing, want to extend blessings to everyone involved in the recovery work. For another, to those of us in a position to help financially: Please don't waste your money donating through Red Cross; something like a third of all you give them ever reaches the people for whom you intended it. Instead, find a reputable religious group on the island, or go through an organization like Oxfam or Friends Service Committee, known for delivering, in the form of goods and services, the huge majority of their revenues. This is not in any way to dis the Red Cross volunteers; on the contrary, there was a group that flew over from O`ahu to help after the 2000 flood, who were very kind.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
                              Some neighborhoods get their water from big water storage tanks up above them in the hills. Water gets pumped from the wells to the storage tanks, and then the water flows down to homes by gravity. This works even when the power's off -- until the tank runs dry because there's no new water coming in to replenish it.

Edit: Scooped by the Linkmeister!
                              Beat you by {}this much!
                              http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

I was reading this morning about the extensive damage to Kawaihae Harbor (estimated $5 million in damage) and how it is shut down and all cargo shipments are being diverted to Hilo. I didn't realize that Kawaihae received 60% of all the cargo shipments to the Big Island (I did know about it being the port the DoD uses to ferry troops and equipment between Honolulu and Pohakuloa).

Hopefully they can get that harbor repaired quickly; otherwise, prices for goods in Kona are going to go up because of the additional expense of trucking stuff from Hilo to Kona. I also feel badly about Hulihee Palace... I guess many of the old buildings and fences that were constructed with boulders probably suffered major damage because of the quakes.

Miulang
                                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X