Walgreens in Hawaii?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Walgreens in Hawaii?

Well, it's been awhile now. But Lowes and Home Depot haven't put City Mill or Hardware Hawaii out of business. Kilgo's seems to still be around, but I'm not sure how healthy they are.

Maybe with the topic at hand, same story, different players?

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
      [...]Kilgo's seems to still be around,[...]
      Unfortunately, Kilgo's closed a few months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        I must have missed that. Glad I got my photos when I did.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
          I hear that Kilgo's are planning to re-open in another location.

Regarding Walgreen's, I think they have a good opportunity to take market share if their service and prices are good. The service and general attitude of the Longs in our neighborhood is abominable. I have never had a prescription filled that didn't take a minimum of an hour and often longer. I no longer go there if there is any way to avoid it.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
            I hear that Kilgo's are planning to re-open in another location.

I have never had a prescription filled that didn't take a minimum of an hour and often longer. I no longer go there if there is any way to avoid it.
            I agree with your last statement regarding the long wait to get prescriptions filled at Longs, which helps in their favor because they gather the consumer will wait the hour and shop around. What bothers me the most is is that I have our doctor call in the prescription ahead of time, then tell me why when I get to Longs they confirm the doctor called, but they still hadn't started working on the prescription? I don't like this at all, it's as if the doctor never called ahead of time. They claim so many people simply fail to come in to get their prescriptions (and by calling the houses of these people who seriously want or need the pill bottles might help some) so they prefer to wait until they know you are really coming to pick it up.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
              Well, this thread is nearly two years old, so it's not THAT coincidental!
              I've never been here until just the other day, so for me, it was VERY coincidental! I didn't even know this thread was here until today.

How do you feel about the established businesses doing the same thing to other established businesses or to upstarts? The Honolulu Advertiser, Aloha Airlines, and Hawaiian Air have been doing this: Does it get you equally mad?
              All three of the businesses you named have at one time or another been in severe financial distress. I believe it's survival of the fittest? They are trying to protect their turf and that is to be expected. I'm not sure about the airlines but I know the Advertiser has been around since before I was born, so who am I to talk about their business? They have a wonderful history here. Besides, the Star Bulletin survived that war. I'm glad they did too.

Longs has more than 74% of the market. That's a stranglehold. If other businesses want to take a legitimate shot at wresting some portion of that away, it can only be good for the consumer. NOBODY deserves 74% of the market, wouldn't you say? Sure, you want Longs to continue to succeed, and I appreciate that, but don't you want it at least to have to compete for your hard-earned dollars?
              Do I want Longs or any other business to compete for my money? Oh absolutely. That is why I said that "I don't really mind the incoming businesses." Driving the price down is always a good thing. I think every consumer would agree to that.
              Aloha,
              Evelyn
              Homespun Honolulu

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
                Regarding Walgreen's, I think they have a good opportunity to take market share if their service and prices are good. The service and general attitude of the Longs in our neighborhood is abominable. I have never had a prescription filled that didn't take a minimum of an hour and often longer. I no longer go there if there is any way to avoid it.
                Don't expect any dramatic improvement in that area from Walgreen's, if their track record on the mainland is anything to go by.

Two hour wait for a prescription from Walgreen's? Not atypical, at all. Read about it, and learn.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/show....php?p=5324889
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                  Don't expect any dramatic improvement in that area from Walgreen's, if their track record on the mainland is anything to go by.

Two hour wait for a prescription from Walgreen's? Not atypical, at all. Read about it, and learn.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/show....php?p=5324889
                  The problem with that is that you only hear about the 2 hour waits for a prescription. If you go to Walgreens or Longs or any pharmacy and get your prescription on time, why would you go tell people? You expect it. You only hear about people who don't get it on time because we are naturally impatient. Walgreens who don't get your prescriptions ready on time don't have them ready because of the people that work there, not the store itself. with the all the tools they've implemented to streamline the filling process such as automated scales, their pharmacy system that is linked world-wide, etc, the only excuse for not having something ready is the people that work there didn't fill it in time. People will shop wherever they can get their prescription the fastest for the cheapest. Since most people have insurance, your co-pay will be the same no matter where you go, so it all comes down to wait time. So the question really is, Who can fill your prescription the fastest? Walgreens fills over 10 million prescriptions a month, how many do you think were filled on time?

Comment

Originally posted by GiftedThunder View Post
                    The problem with that is that you only hear about the 2 hour waits for a prescription. If you go to Walgreens or Longs or any pharmacy and get your prescription on time, why would you go tell people? You expect it. You only hear about people who don't get it on time because we are naturally impatient. Walgreens who don't get your prescriptions ready on time don't have them ready because of the people that work there, not the store itself. with the all the tools they've implemented to streamline the filling process such as automated scales, their pharmacy system that is linked world-wide, etc, the only excuse for not having something ready is the people that work there didn't fill it in time. People will shop wherever they can get their prescription the fastest for the cheapest. Since most people have insurance, your co-pay will be the same no matter where you go, so it all comes down to wait time. So the question really is, Who can fill your prescription the fastest? Walgreens fills over 10 million prescriptions a month, how many do you think were filled on time?
                    "The preceding message was paid for by Walgreens."

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
                      "The preceding message was paid for by Walgreens."
                      I second that notion. If Walgreen prescriptions fail to be delivered on time, it's the people who work at that location who is at fault. So, uhm.....doesn't that logic apply to Longs or Walmarts or Target or Sav-On or CVS or wherever else pharmacy?

Comment

If you are a member of a union try checking out Times Pharmacy, you don't have to pay upfront, just the co payment. As a Teamster, generics are $12.00 for 60 days and name brand $24.00 for 60 days. My drug plan expires at the end of August but I will be taking advantage of my VA Benefits and will be getting my prescriptions from Tripler.

Comment

Originally posted by GiftedThunder View Post
                          Walgreens fills over 10 million prescriptions a month, how many do you think were filled on time?
                          Actually, it's more like 40 million per month (500 million per year, if Wikipedia's to be believed), but your point is taken. My feeling is that something like this can happen to anyone once; if it happens to any one person twice (given the odds, considering we're talking 500 million every year), it's a pattern. I agree that one is more likely to hear from the disgruntled than the gruntled, and my only problem with pharmacists at Longs is that (a) they gave me a hard time when I wanted something with pseudoephedrine in it and (b) the unmarried ones are too young for me.

GT, you really don't need to come at us with the hard sell. Most of us have said we'll give it a try. I've even said that the new location in Kalihi (not that you'd know anything about Kalihi) is going to be a lot more convenient for me, and I suspect for a lot of others as well. If it offers coffee and other beverages, I'll bet it will pull in a lot of the Kamehameha students who hang out at the bus terminal every morning (some might call that a bad thing, but five bucks of those kids' money is worth the same as five bucks of anyone else's), and if there's a place to hang, it might get a nice chunk of the elderly crowd who used to hang at the bowling alley the drugstore is replacing.

I'm looking forward to the new neighborhood drugstore, but your greasy-sounding PR (or whatever) is turning a lot of us off.
                          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                            When I was living in SFO, there was a Walgreens in my neighborhood so I naturally shopped there. One day when I was visiting a friend in the East Bay, she went to a Long's (in Walnut Creek). I was so excited to find a Long's that I almost had an accident! But, since I lived in the City, I went back to shopping at Walgreen's. They were ok price wise & service wise. But they sure weren't Long's!!

For convenience sake, I will continue to shop at Long's. The downtown store delivers my prescriptions & has made changes over the phone to get my refill from another place moved to Long's. No hassles ever. I like their prices and the service. But - with the downtown store, you gotta watch which day you shop and what time you go Local folks know what I'm talking about.
                            Agreed! When i lived in So Cal there was a Longs nearby and thats where I shopped. It always reminded me of home!

Comment

I been looking around this board for a few days and this looks like the most active thread so here goes.

A top level executive of Walgreens admitting in print that his stated plan is to open right next to every Longs is an outright hostile move.

That is basically saying they hope to steal Longs customers. Why can't these big mainland companies sell themselves to the publuic by doing something innovative instead? Like how about staying open 24 hours, or having the drive throughs? That would be new for Hawaii and really cool and probably enough to get a loyal customer base. Why dey gotta act like this for? Give me bad taste already.

http://honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/p...WS01/706220379

Drugstore giant Walgreen Co., in the midst of an aggressive nationwide expansion, plans to go head-to-head with Longs Drug Stores Corp. in Hawai'i, eventually opening as many as 40 stores in the state and locating them next to Longs whenever possible. "We think there's a lot of room here," said Robert Roscoe, Walgreens director of asset development... "We do plan to compete head-to-head with Longs," Roscoe said, adding that Walgreens will try to open as many stores as possible next to an existing Longs.

Comment

• Check out this story HT users

I read just about every post on the W A L G R Ex2 N S thread and it seems to me there is a possible situation in there.

One of the posters seems to fit the profile of a company Executive. He recently signed up and has only posted on that thread, no others. This is pretty common these days actually.

Read this recent story from USAToday http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...s_N.htm?csp=34

ya think??? Anythings possible!

I figure he won't check any other threads but I spaced out & corrupted the keyword above just in case he is using the search function. (CEO's very busy these days & wont take the time to read other threads 1 by 1)

Comment

Working...
                                X