Downtime Announcements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downtime Announcements

HawaiiThreads.com, along with all of the other sites in its `ohana (HawaiiStories.com, HawaiiAnswers.com, HawaiiNews.com, etc.), were offline from about 5 p.m. yesterday until early this morning. This was caused by some changes at my webhost, and I received no warning, nor have I yet received an explanation for the downtime. I do apologize for any inconvenience this caused, and I appreciate your patience (and e-mails of concern).

Having all my sites on one server and all my domains with one registry made it difficult to figure out what's going on, and to get in touch with me. So I spent my panicked evening setting up a separate domain on an independent service that could serve as a place to go if everything else disappears again.

Thanks for coming back. Now I've got to figure out what happened!

Re: Downtime

I'll be bringing HawaiiThreads.com down later this evening (Monday, July 11, 2005), probably after 9 p.m. HST, to perform a routine upgrade to the forum software. It shouldn't take more than an hour.

This is unrelated to the downtime yesterday, but the incident did prompt me to make sure all of my various sites are running up-to-date software.

Apologies in advance for any inconveneince!

Comment

Sorry for the outage earlier today. Our servers were affected by the large blackout in Los Angeles.

Comment

You got back up and running an hour before we did! I kept checking here and once we saw you were back we knew it wouldn't be long. The frailities of modern technology

Comment

Re: Downtime Announcements

HawaiiThreads.com will close for less than an hour later this morning (between 9 a.m. and 11 a.m.) to perform some system upgrades. I apologize in advance for the brief break and short notice! Please use the time to tell someone you love them.

Comment

All done! Though it took 15 minutes instead of ten. Thanks for your patience!

Comment

You were down for a while today, too - couldn't get the site to open for several hours. Had to actually focus on WORK instead.

Comment

HawaiiThreads.com will be closed beginning at 7:15 a.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 10, 2005, for a quick software upgrade. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. We'll be back soon!

Comment

All done! I'll hopefully catch glitches if and as they surface.

Comment

So what did you do? What did you upgrade? To what version?

Just curious... I'm a geek!
                    Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

It's that time again! HawaiiThreads will be closed beginning 4:30 a.m. (in about 10 minutes) on Saturday, Sept. 30 for a software upgrade. If all goes well, the site should return within two hours. This will be a slightly more complicated upgrade than most, so there'll likely be separate announcements and notes to come. Thanks for your patience!

Comment

My apologies for the extensive and unscheduled downtime yesterday and today. A server hiccup took some hours to be resolved by my webhost, and even after things were restarted, I found the forum database was also corrupted. I had a white-knuckle morning trying to repair and rebuild everything (as the last backup was in December), and after watching things spin for over an hour, it looks like we're back.

I don't know at this point if there was any data loss, or any other things that went bad, so if you see anything unexpected, do let me know. I hope you all had a great President's Day holiday away!

Comment

Thanks for all the hard work.

Considering that this is a "social extra" and not essential to business, health or safety, it's nice to know that you're dedicated to providing this service to the community.

Mahalo!

Comment

Thanks, Ryan. I had a computer crash at home recently, and am using a funky old laptop for a while; I wondered if the issue was at my end. I still got issues - but at least one of them doesn't have my name on it...

Comment

Thanks for all your hard work! I thought it was my computer not working!
                              I missed everyone! Thanks again for doing such a good job!

Comment

Working...
                              X