Ban New Years fireworks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ban New Years fireworks?

I'm a career firefighter and I'm coming up on 15 years of service and I love fireworks.

But I personally can't stand the ones you can't buy legally. Much more 'boom', too much chance on lighting brush and someones roof. Lolo people don't realize when they fire up a rocket up in the sky, it doesn't go off to space. The waste falls back down a lot of times still burning.

Yeah I hate the illegal ones. Or the lolos that launch the 'legals' into the air like an illegal one.

Comment

You're a fireman? Maybe you know, or know of, my nephew, Tony Valenti? He is a fireman in Honolulu too.

Comment

There are a couple of bills to ban fireworks making their way through the legislature. If you are interested, this article has a chart at the bottom that gives a rundown of the current bills:
        http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...unties+opt+out

The bills are all over the map, so I'll not even try to summarize them here. As the legislative session progresses, and some of the bills die, it will allow for easier discussion on HT. But, meanwhile, if you are interested in the topic and want to send in written testimony, now is your chance.
        Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

It boils down to the Incredible Vanishing Police Force.
          When it's that time of year, HPD ignores the law and hides out until it's safe to come out again, in fact some of them are perps. Shameful.
          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
            But putting how I feel about it aside for a moment, I just have to restate the obvious Amati, because it just doesn’t seem to sink in: a law is meaningless, unless it can be enforced. You seem to believe that a total ban will make it easier to spot “violators.” The unintended (or perhaps intended, based on how corrupt you believe our government is) consequence of such a ban, is that black market dealers (and buyers) would proliferate faster than during Prohibition. We all know how effectively that was enforced.
            Originally posted by Amati View Post
            Well, TuNnl, I guess if there would be some way to set up hidden private indoor clubs that set off fireworks (which is what happened during prohibition, only it was serving alcohol in that case), then more power to those who'd stay indoors to watch the fireworks displays going off. YIKES!
            Very funny. They don’t need “hidden private indoor clubs” to set off fireworks, just a hidden, private dealer to buy them from! How long does it take to set off a bottle rocket? Two seconds? There aren’t enough patrol officers to pinpoint that. And last time I checked, HPD didn’t have access to real-time night-vision GPS, so what would change with a ban? Just the price$ of the goods. You need a reality check, Amati and here’s one easy way to get it: go down to the Hawai‘i Kai police substation on Keahole Street. If you’re lucky, there will actually be an officer there. Ask him or her how many patrol cars operate out of that substation and how much area they are required to cover on their beat.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
            USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

Excuse me, but whenever HPD really wants to accomplish something in enforcement it's usually mission accomplished, and soon.
              They are complicite in the proliferation of illegal fireworks, even if only guilty by omission.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                Excuse me, but whenever HPD really wants to accomplish something in enforcement it's usually mission accomplished, and soon.
                They are complicite in the proliferation of illegal fireworks, even if only guilty by omission.
                By golly, Ron, I think you have hit it on the head.

Comment

Yeah, it took a while to fish that one out. Went thru 5 pieces of gum on the end of a stick, but it should get me into the Crime Busters Hall of Fame...

Comment

Yeah, it took a while to fish that one out.
                    So, why do you think the police department administration choses to be complicite? Don't bother to even try to answer that, I'm just thinking aloud.

Comment

• County Ban

The Honolulu City Council has stepped in where the State Legislature feared to tread.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/b...fireworks.html
                      The City Council voted 7-2 to pass a bill this afternoon that would ban the use of all consumer fireworks except small amounts of firecrackers on holidays and special circumstances. The new law, which is expected to be signed by acting Mayor Kirk Caldwell in the next 10 working days, would not take effect until Jan. 2 giving Oahu residents one more year of New Year's Eve pyrotechnics.

Comment

• Ban? LOL... yeah right

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                        The Honolulu City Council has stepped in where the State Legislature feared to tread.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/b...fireworks.html
                        Assuming Acting Mayor Kirk Caldwell signs this bill, as the article states, this law does not go into effect until January 2. So, other than the fact that this island is gonna go nuts in anticipation this coming New Year’s Eve, it’s going to be awhile before the effects (if any) of this bill can be measured.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                        USA TODAY, page 2A
                        11 March 1993

Comment

• Re: Ban? LOL... yeah right

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                          this island is gonna go nuts in anticipation this coming New Year’s Eve
                          If it goes twice as nuts as it did this past July 4th in my neighborhood, it'll be two lonely firecracker pops and out. With or without any future action, overall, Oahu has gotten past that fun but nasty tradition and it's just a few areas that continue.

Comment

Ban em!
                            A lot of people get injured playing with fireworks, it terrorizes the animals, and it is very bad for people who have respitory problems.

Worst of all, is the amount of money that goes up in smoke. Especially in Waianae, where I go every New Year. I see about a million dollars being burnt, much of it illegal fireworks, and this is in a financially depressed area.

I must admit, I did enjoy playing with fireworks when I was a child, but I also have a friend who lost all of his fingernails on one of his hands because of fireworks.

Comment

Personally, I hope the ban is never lifted. 'Nuff already!

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/2...fireworks.html
                              "Oahu first responders saw a busy kickoff to the new year, going out to three dozen fires and at least five injuries that were probably fireworks-related, as revelers not only rang in 2011 but also got their fill of consumer fireworks before a new ban took effect today.

The most serious fireworks injury left a man in critical condition after an aerial firework exploded in his hand.

Last New Year's, there were three fireworks-related injuries.

While celebrations to ring in 2011 were in full swing, there were 36 calls to fire dispatch categorized as probably fireworks-related. The calls included two structure fires, four brush fires and 16 rubbish fires.

The totals are an estimate, and fire officials say the figure will likely increase as fire inspectors wrap up cases.

After last New Year's(2010), 30 probable fireworks-related fires were reported."
                              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

• Re: Ban New Years fireworks? HELL YES!!!

In addition to the man who was critically injured, there was also this from that same article:

"In addition to the man critically injured in Pearl City, a woman and two children were injured when an aerial exploded 10 feet from them. They suffered serious to minor burns and were taken to a hospital."

As far as I'm concerned, anyone who does anything that harms children should be sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X