Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TV Series that haven't been released to DVD but should be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TV Series You NEED to Get on DVD

One of my favorites in 1964 was The Rogues. I remember watching repeats at midnight of it around 1977-9 on local TV.

The Rogues was an American television series that appeared on NBC from September 13, 1964 to April 18, 1965, starring David Niven, Charles Boyer, and Gig Young as a related trio of former conmen who could, for the right price, be persuaded to trick a very wealthy and very unscrupulous mark.

The extremely well-acted show won the 1964 Golden Globe award for Best Television Series. Although fondly remembered, the show was cancelled after one season.
    (Wikipedia)

Comment

Another one season series from NBC is Search which was aired in 1972.

Comment

Was there any tv series that lasted one year, and also won the Emmy for best tv series?

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
          Was there any tv series that lasted one year, and also won the Emmy for best tv series?
          Bob Newhart's 1961/62 variety show won an Emmy (Outstanding Program Achievement in the Field of Humor) and a Peabody Award, but was canceled after one season on NBC.

Comment

The Julie Andrews Hour (1972-73) was cancelled by ABC after only one year. Despite its brief existence, it won 7 Emmy awards, including that of Best Variety Show.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I'm trying to remember the actor who told the network executives to shove it after winning an Emmy award. He was upset because his series was cancelled. I wonder if he ever worked again.

Comment

The only TV show I ever found worth keeping on DVD was the HBO series "Carnivale."

VERY addictive, impressive and entrancing!

(Brief description):

"Like a cross between TWIN PEAKS and THE GRAPES OF WRATH, HBO's acclaimed television drama CARNIVALE sets an allegorical fable about the mythic battle between good and evil against the surreal backdrop of a Depression-era traveling circus. Having lost both his farm and his mother to the 1930s Dust Bowl, prison escapee Ben Hawkins (Nick Stahl, IN THE BEDROOM) joins an itinerant carnival in a desperate bid to escape poverty, the police, and his own discomfort with his miraculous healing powers."

It ran for 3 seasons, then HBO cancelled it, which angered fans across the globe.

Produced by Daniel Knauf, all 3 seasons available on DVD.
                Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                ~ ~
                Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

I'm trying to remember the actor who told the network executives to shove it after winning an Emmy award. He was upset because his series was cancelled. I wonder if he ever worked again.
                  You're probably talking about Judd Hirsch, who didn't exactly tell the network officials to shove it. Rather, he used his award to make the point that Taxi was an excellent program and that it didn't make sense for the network to cancel it. As for whether or not he ever worked again, that's kinda obvious.
                  But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                    These days, when negotiating the rights to use music in a TV episode, it is standard procedure to include language that covers licensing for home-video release, be it tape, DVD, online, on-demand, etc. Just a bit more in the fees, part of the cost of doing business; it doesn't enter into the producer's or director's mind any more than it did before; it's the music supervisor who does the work, tracks the material, makes the recommendations, etc.
                    Your explanation sounded plausible,... until you mentioned the music supervisor. It may be the job of the supervisor to fit and edit the music into the TV show. But if a producer on a tight budget tells the music supervisor to make due with generic sounding surf music rather than using actual hit recordings from the likes of the Beach Boys or Jan & Dean, then the supervisor has to go along with that decision. Otherwise, where will the $$$$ come from?

And despite what you say about music fees costing "just a bit more," there are still some currently running TV series where a DVD release has been held up due to music licensing issues. One example is Heartbeat, the UK TV series which liberally utilizes 1960s songs. (Even the recent seasons have yet to appear on DVD.) Although it has been a long-running series, no one thinks that Heartbeat would ever come close to selling in the same numbers as The Simpsons or That '70s Show. If you ask me, it appears that DVD sales potential does play a role in whether "costly" original music is used on a home video release or not. And it holds true, whether we are talking about a show that is 40 years old or one that is still running.
                    Last edited by Frankie's Market; March 29, 2009, 06:16 PM.
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                      You're probably talking about Judd Hirsch, who didn't exactly tell the network officials to shove it. Rather, he used his award to make the point that Taxi was an excellent program and that it didn't make sense for the network to cancel it. As for whether or not he ever worked again, that's kinda obvious.
                      It is true that Judd Hirsch won the best actor Emmy after Taxi was cancelled by NBC. But the show ran on ABC for four seasons before that. So it would be very misleading to refer to Taxi as being a "one season show."

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                        It may be the job of the supervisor to fit and edit the music into the TV show. But if a producer on a tight budget tells the music supervisor to make due with generic sounding surf music rather than using actual hit recordings from the likes of the Beach Boys or Jan & Dean, then the supervisor has to go along with that decision.
                        Having actually been Music Supervisor for film and television projects, I can tell you that this is a severely incomplete description.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                          It is true that Judd Hirsch won the best actor Emmy after Taxi was cancelled by NBC. But the show ran on ABC for four seasons before that. So it would be very misleading to refer to Taxi as being a "one season show."
                          F.M. - where did W.B. or Scriv say that they were now discussing a "one season show" in reference to Judd Hirsch or Taxi? That was a different post altogether from W.B. If you're feeling feistily argumentative (which I've noticed is your standard m.o.), please try not to mix up or combine posts, automatically assuming they are related to one another, just because they are in the same thread and by the same poster.

Comment

Having actually been Music Supervisor for film and television projects, I can tell you that this is a severely incomplete description.
                            Well, it wasn't the purpose of my post to write a "complete" job description of what a TV/film music supervisor does. (Neither did I intend to provide a "complete" job description for a producer, for that matter.) Getting into an in-depth description of everything that a music supervisor does would involve talking about a lot of things that have little to do with DVD releases of TV shows, which is what this thread is primarily supposed to be about.

Focus!

Comment

F.M. - where did W.B. or Scriv say that they were now discussing a "one season show" in reference to Judd Hirsch or Taxi? That was a different post altogether from W.B.
                              Maybe, although WB (not you) would have to answer if he was, in fact, talking about two seperate topics on posts #138 and #141.

If you're feeling feistily argumentative (which I've noticed is your standard m.o.),
                              I don't think I'm being "feistily argumentative," anymore than you are. I do notice that you hold strong opinions on certain matters. I may not agree with all of them, but I respect your beliefs. Hey, if what I thought you had to say was pure and utter garbage, I wouldn't even bother getting into a debate and discussion with you.

Comment

Maybe, although WB (not you) would have to answer if he was, in fact, talking about two seperate topics on posts #138 and #141.
                                The thought came in mind when remembering that an Emmy award winner was angry when making his speech.
                                Is it necessary to keep creating new threads with a slightly different subject when the old one will do?
                                Judd Hirsch is currently on the tv series Numb3ers. I can't think of any other tv series he was on since Taxi.

Comment

Working...
                                X