New Hawaii Five-0: Episode & Storyline Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Hawaii Five-0: Episode & Storyline Discussion

boy, you folks sure take something that is intended purely for entertainment and nit pick it to death! I'll continue watching the show because I'm just a dumb couch potato who only asks to be entertained. If I want something serious - I'll watch cable or PBS.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by foolish heart View Post
      Next episode a Mustang owner will be driving a Camaro, and a Camaro owner will be driving a Mustang!
      I'm sure the TV producers are not car guys. They are both Silver and sort of look a like. Same smell to them. I know that would upset Ford vs Chevy guys.

Comment

Originally posted by cabanalane View Post
        I'm sure the TV producers are not car guys. They are both Silver and sort of look a like. Same smell to them. I know that would upset Ford vs Chevy guys.
        As mentioned several times in this thread already, the main reason is the Chevrolet is the main sponsor of the show. So they will have the good guys driving a Chevy... Camaro in this case. The HPD will be using Chevy Impalas as I've seen about 4 of them parked at the "studio facility" (former Honolulu Advertiser) building....

In episode 2 the bad guys had a bright red 2011 Chevy Cruze featured so prominently in a shot where everything around it was blowing up.

Sponsor + product placement = potential sales.

I don't expect to see too many Ford cars in the near future on this show. Unless they are going to drive one down a cliff or something.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I know Chevy is a big sponsor, but I keep nitpicking the Camaro/Mustang thing because it's fun. I'm a car guy, and in the same way noticing the Kukui/Iolani football field is fun for Kama'aina, the Camaro/Mustang thing is fun for us car guys.

For example, I noticed Dano's Mustang in the pilot was a 2010 base model, but it had the "five-oh" emblems from the 2011 Mustang GT. The pilot was probably filmed too long ago for Ford to have given them a real 2011 GT, so they just put the emblems on an older 'Stang. It was an obvious fake for us car enthusiasts, but I figured they'd eventually have a real 5.0 on Five-O. Clever bit of marketing for Ford, I thought. I was a little bummed when Chevy turned out to be the corporate sponsor.

Comment

So TWELVE MILLION people watched the show on Monday night and only FIVE people saw ME! (One of them is married to me and three of them I gave birth to so how could they miss me?) The other 11,995,000 of you must have blinked and missed the debut of my hair and side of my face in the snack bar scene. I'm also in this shot wearing the red Kukui Kings t-shirt shielding my eyes from the non-existent sun.

Although I was only visible for a nano-second, and only to those who were looking for me - I had a great time being an extra on the show and would love to be involved again. I guess it's OK to post this now. GO KUKUI HIGH KINGS NUTS!
            Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
            My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Originally posted by kiwidiva View Post
              So TWELVE MILLION people watched the show on Monday night and only FIVE people saw ME! (One of them is married to me and three of them I gave birth to so how could they miss me?)[...]
              Awww...sorry I missed you, KD! I was so busy watching Mike and Helen that I didn't scan the extras...except to look for one of the refs who was played by the office mgr. of my condo building! I really should DVR the show so that I can watch it twice for the actors and once for the plot!!!

A suggestion to any of you who appear on camera in any of the episodes...announce it on HT a day or 2 prior to that ep airing so we can watch for you and critique you shielding your eyes or running from the bad guys or sitting at a bus stop or...whatever!

Comment

KD - this is the important part: did you get to keep the shirts?
                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                  [...]Kelly getting a role that becomes more prominent as time goes on sounds like a very good idea.[...]
                  Good news...just learned that Kelly will be on set tomorrow to shoot her 2nd episode! Hopefully there'll be many more.

Comment

• From certain angles, Park and Hu does kind of look a like. They could be (older and younger) sisters.

So who were the football players? Were they high school or U.H, or just regular guys (extras) that suit up?

Comment

I've got the first 3 installments on DVD, if you're interested. I doubt I'll be continuing with this show because of the gratuitous violence and lack of intellectual stimulation.
                      May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

did you get to keep the shirts?
                        unfortunately, no. i guess i'll have to go online and buy one from butigroove.
                        Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
                        My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

• The "new" 5-0 - is it really any different?

I've been watching the latest Hawaii 5-0, and trying to figga out if it's gonna last the season, not get picked up for another year, o' wot ??! The thing is, so far it's just another cop show, full of the usual pretty people with a ton of attitude and acting real tough all the time. Steve Mcgarret, like his predecessor, is a straight arrow super patriot, and everyone else on the show revolves around him like satellites. Another obnoxious touch is the suggestion (although they don't show it explicitly) that 5-0 is once again located in the Iolani Palace, one of the more unpleasant parts of the old 5-0. I can think of a few more, but, anyone else?

Comment

• Re: The "new" 5-0 - is it really any different?

Heh. We are about to release a design that is inspired by, but is definitely not a direct copy, of that great "Lei O Mano" design. We're calling it "Lei O Kukui." A lot of people have asked for the logo seen quite prominently in the episode, and giving due props to the show's own graphic designer, hopefully our nut-based tribute will be a hit.

Originally posted by cabanalane View Post
                            So who were the football players? Were they high school or U.H, or just regular guys (extras) that suit up?
                            I think I read somewhere that they couldn't use real football players else they would have jeopardized their "amateur" status.

Originally posted by Mista Bumpy View Post
                            Another obnoxious touch is the suggestion (although they don't show it explicitly) that 5-0 is once again located in the Iolani Palace, one of the more unpleasant parts of the old 5-0.
                            I think they're explicitly showing their HQ as being inside Ali'iolani Hale, the courts building across from 'Iolani Palace. You know, the one with a King Kamehameha statue in front?

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                              boy, you folks sure take something that is intended purely for entertainment and nit pick it to death! I'll continue watching the show because I'm just a dumb couch potato who only asks to be entertained. If I want something serious - I'll watch cable or PBS.
                              If anyone here thinks the the show is being dissected too deeply, I can only assume they don't belong to the Yahoo! Hawaii 5-0 Fan Club. Some major analysis and critiques abound in that forum.

And when it comes to the original show, Mike Quigley has maintained the single finest fan website devoted to Hawaii Five-0 for over a decade now. If you read his episodic reviews, it gives you a taste of the kind of discussion that takes place in the Yahoo! group.

The original H50 has endured well in syndication and fandom activity since the series ended 30 years ago because the stories and the creative talent were of high quality, for the most part. The show gradually began to lose some steam and inspiration in the last few seasons, and true fans like Quigley don't sugarcoat H50 "jumping the shark" towards the end. But while the show was at its peak, let me tell ya'. It had a lot more going for it than just actors running around in front of beautiful Hawaiian scenery. It needed to, in order to maintain a show compelling enough to last 12 years (and many more years after that, in reruns all over the country). Hopefully, the braintrust of the new H50 is able to live up to this legacy.

did you get to keep the shirts?
                              The Pi'ikoi Scorpions shirt looks cool. I want one!
                              Last edited by Frankie's Market; October 8, 2010, 10:45 AM.
                              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

You are totally correct - I don't belong to those fan sites. I just want to enjoy the program! and I am. If I happen to see someone I know or recognize a location, well thats fun too. but I always remember - IT'S JUST ENTERTAINMENT, JUST A TV SHOW, IT'S NOT REAL!!!!
                                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                                X