Shake and Quake!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shake and Quake!

Glad the quakes didn't cause any serious injuries or deaths. Since the electricity went out and it was raining out, I cancelled my plans and slept in a bit and then read a book I've been meaning to read but hadn't gotten to until now. *g*

Comment

So now that most of Oahu is slowly getting back up and running...

What did you do today?

After I got home to mom's house, I brought out the candles and flashlights because it was pretty dark at 8am! At about 10, we took out the gas stove and started to get food ready because we had to get lunch ready! I wanted to go back to sleep (since I was so rudely interrupted by that rattler!) but it was just so darn hot! I managed to clean the house, clean my trunk, *AND* finish reading Flags of our Fathers...just in time for the movie release next week!

On another note...

Have you guys been watching the news? Apparently KITV's been on air since the quake struck (12+ hours!) and KHON had their usualy 6 o' clock news that was devoted to earthquake coverage (except for Leahey Jr.'s sports of course). KGMB *JUST* got up and running, and eh man...props to them because they literally have a makeshift news set in the Kapiolani Blvd. parking lot, posterboard, handwritten notes, raw unedited footage and all. Haven't seen KHNL on at all...seems like their programming's on schedule, though.

I guess that means no Amazing Race and Desperate Housewives for us tonight.
      Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
      We're not here to mess around
      Boston, you know we love you madly
      Hear the crowd roar to your sound
      Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
      You know we couldn't live without you
      Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

How many people still have line-powered telephones? The kind that plug straight into the wall and don't need an electrical plug for the answering machine or the cordless battery?

We still have four of those in various rooms around the house, and I was very glad to have them today.

Apparently KGMB still has no power. Their website is down (well, 500 Null error) and we haven't been able to get Channel 7/9 at all.
        Last edited by Linkmeister; October 15, 2006, 07:41 PM. Reason: KGMB outage added
        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Power just came back in Kailua. The neighborhood celebrated by giving out a collective yell, then several people shot off fireworks!

The quake was intense this morning; nothing like being out in the street with all your neighbors. All of the women in nightgowns and robes, all of the men in boxers and pajama bottoms.

All I can say is that it is a bad day to be an ice cream store owner. We spent most of the day helping my cousins throw away most of the ice cream at their Cold Stone Creamery.

Comment

That was some rock and roll.

And lasted *forever*, too.

But all the loved-ones are safe and the rest is gravy.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister View Post
              How many people still have line-powered telephones? The kind that plug straight into the wall and don't need an electrical plug for the answering machine or the cordless battery?
              we still had ONE in my son's room. thank goodness!! that was good enough for me to let my mother know we were ok. my son's friends were saying how they always tease him to get rid of his old school phone...then...today he was the only one that could use a phone. chee hee.

we rocked here in kapolei. power came back on around 630ish. we have gas stove and water heater, so i wasnt too worried. plenny neighbors grilled in da rain. what a day!! of course, the kids were disappointed when the power came back on...they were hoping for no power tomorrow...which would mean NO SCHOOL!!

hope everyone else is doing ok.

note to all the shorties out there---keep the batteries where you can reach them. so humbug to have to move things around the garage just to get the ladder out, just so you can reach D batteries for the radio.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister View Post
                Apparently KGMB still has no power. Their website is down (well, 500 Null error) and we haven't been able to get Channel 7/9 at all.
                They came back up not too long ago, but it's a very basic and makeshift newscast.

Gotta love watching Keahi and Kim thinking they've turned things over to news footage from today when in reality they're still on-air.
                Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                We're not here to mess around
                Boston, you know we love you madly
                Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                You know we couldn't live without you
                Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Don't forget to report the quake! USGS form is here:

http://pasadena.wr.usgs.gov/shake/hi...ciim_form.html

Comment

Originally posted by Tiabla View Post
                    Don't forget to report the quake! USGS form is here:

http://pasadena.wr.usgs.gov/shake/hi...ciim_form.html
                    I did that this evening, as I obviously felt this trembler while at work this morning.
                    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                    The Kona Blog

Comment

We also have two regular line powered telephones just for emergency purposes. Those hand cranked radios also come in handy.

As for local coverage, hats off to both KSSK radio and KITV for being sources of information throughout the day. We have one of those battery powered portable televisions which allowed us to watch television the "old fashion" way via antenna. KGMB had no backup generator and was thus knocked off the air. KFVE/KHNL was also in operation after the power outage and were replaying the UH football game (like as if there was no news to report). They did make Dashefsky pop his face on screen very sporadically though to say there was an earthquake (Captain Obvious moment ensues). LOL. KITV came online once the building generator kicked in and proceeded to provide continuous coverage until 8PM.

Comment

I hope everyone else is alright. Waipahuans only got power a few minutes ago, so I'm just checking on the damage that other media outlets reported. Hopefully the store will be okay tomorrow...
                        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

finally got power back on here in Waikiki (kuhio/kaiulani area) around 8:30

standing outside it was funny the power came on in small waves in the area and people were cheering like it was the countdown for New Years or something!
                          website - http://www.brianhancock.com
                          blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Kauai's still A-okay.
                            Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Oh yeah, if anyone was listening to KSSK, did you hear the comment about Oceanic's Digital phone? I think M/L commented on how no one w/ digital phone can't make a call because there's no electricity to power the modem. That was the most funniest thing I heard all day.
                              How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
                                Oh yeah, if anyone was listening to KSSK, did you hear the comment about Oceanic's Digital phone? I think M/L commented on how no one w/ digital phone can't make a call because there's no electricity to power the modem. That was the most funniest thing I heard all day.
                                Originally posted by Mike_Lowery
                                Who commented?
                                nvm, I thought you were talking about me.
                                Last edited by Mike_Lowery; October 15, 2006, 09:49 PM.
                                Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X