Flossie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flossie

Stay safe, all! I hope it becomes a fizzle of a storm, but you never know. Stock up on water, batteries and the basics. Better to be over prepped than under.

Thinking of you all!
    flickr

An email from God:
    To: People of Earth
    Date: 9/04/2007
    Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
    God

Re: Flossie

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
    Stock up on water, batteries and the basics.
    And spam and rice.

Comment

Good advice. Home Depot Honolulu was down to 8 propane tanks earlier today, when 2 customers showed up to buy some.

On a side note, a simple head lamp will keep your hands free if you need light during a power outage.
      "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
      "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
      "
      Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

A crank-it-to-power flashlight never needs batteries, and is a great backup for long power outages. We bought a 2-pack from Costco years ago, and they still works fine.
        Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Serious best wishes to all. Especially our friends in the track.

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
            Never take such a storm lightly. We are all holding the Big Island up to the light, that's for sure! Make that the entire state, in case Flossie has a chip on her shoulder for being given such a monniker.
            Looks like they are recycling names. Strange the things that stick in your head. I remember this post by Lavagal, Flossie still seems like an incongruous name for a storm in Hawaiian waters.

This original Flossie thread is from 2007. Interesting to read through it to see who is still posting and who isn't.

Comment

I know that they recycle storm names and the weather service has a list of names to use based on what region and the order of when a storm is generated.

I know a storm name gets retired if it causes deaths. I'm not sure if gets retired if the storm makes landfall and only causes damage.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                And spam and rice.
                Well, I did say "they basics"
                flickr

An email from God:
                To: People of Earth
                Date: 9/04/2007
                Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                God

Comment

The sight of floss at a beach in Brazil can set a heart all a flutter.

Comment

Very little floss on Copacabana during the Pope's visit.

As to Flossie...this morning's predicted track has it north of the Big Island, hitting eastern Maui, then into O'ahu. Winds dropping to minimum tropical storm strength but big rain expected. People who went to bed last night with the predicted track taking it over the Big Island and missing northern Maui & Oahu are in for an unpleasant surprise this morning, arrival time about 10 or 11 hours. Good luck everybody!

Comment

They don't just recycle names: they recycle entire lists. There is a set number of lists of names (I want to say 4 or 8 lists for some reason, but I might just be making that up), and each list is designated for a specific year. So not only is Flossie a repeat, but it's very likely that the first five named storms of the year in this region were also repeats, and they were repeats in the same order of the same year as that other Flossie, unless, as helen points out, the storm is notorious, in which case it is retired and replaced.
                      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                        So not only is Flossie a repeat, but it's very likely that the first five named storms of the year in this region were also repeats, ...
                        Can you ever have a repeated name for a storm which follows a previous storm in the same year with a non-repeated name?
                        Greg

Comment

Gray and rainy here in town!
                          ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Blue sky in the eye of the non-storm here in PC, for now...
                            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

It's pouring in town now. The wind has picked up too.

Comment

Working...
                              X