Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zippy's Chili: Has it Always Bean This Way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zippy's Chili: Has it Always Bean This Way?

So my mom passes me some Zippy's Benefit Chili tickets. I run down to my nearest Zippy's and hand them over. I get asked the usual "Do you want that heated up?" question, and this time I say no. I usually say yes.

In a minute or two, my number is called and I get: Zippy's chili in 1.5-pound plastic bags, complete with heating directions, ingredients list, and nutrition info. Obviously, this is the chili you get when you order it online or get it in the frozen section at the supermarket.

I check the ingredients, and holy cow. This thing is loaded with stuff you don't expect in take-out food. You know, preservatives and stuff. Naturally (or unnaturally), I expect this stuff from packaged food, but when I order chili at a restaurant, especially chili that a restaurant considers a specialty, I expect just chili. I've been places (sit-down places, even) where I suspected the chili came out of a can; however, one doesn't think of Zippy's chili as being equivalent to what comes out of a can.

I've known for a decade or so that none of the chili is made in the restaurants: I've seen it being unloaded in giant plastic bags (like bags of potting soil, only a little smaller) behind the restaurants. I just always assumed it was just chili, though.

Are the restaurants serving us exactly the same chili they send out to web-orders? If so, shouldn't they be ashamed of themselves? They're selling a glorified canned chili, really, and not letting us know. I feel betrayed.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: Zippy's Chili: Has it Always Bean This Way?

It tasted the same when I tried it when it's shipped to the big island as it does in the restaraunts on Oahu... I couldn't tell the difference.

We also have family in the mainland that orders zippy's online just to get the stuff! http://www.zippys.com/zippys/rates.asp#suggestions

For that matter...how many Oahu people know that Zippy's is only an Oahu thing...neighbor islands no more?
    Last edited by damontucker; May 23, 2006, 07:51 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Gotta be the same stuff, no matter where. That why the taste ('quality control') is the same. Just like McDonald's.

Of course, maybe you feel cheated, cause Zippy's is a local place, and McD's is some kind of global monster. Well, Zippy's might've started that way, but it has become a victim of its' own success.

Instead of badmouthing them, from a public place....why don't you go and ask them, and then share the answer with us, in here. You might be surprised, you never know.

They might even be willing to share the recipe with you...the original 'family-style' one...that way, you could make it at home, and choose for yourself, what you want to put in it.
      http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
      http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

To many, Zippy's chili is an abomination. Even I know that on some levels, it's awful. But it falls into the category of, "So bad it's good." Or rather, "It's what I grew up with, so I just love it." A guilty pleasure. A taste of home. Definitely distinctive.

I'm surprised if, indeed, the "sealed and preserved for shipping" stuff is the exact same formula as what's served in the restaurant. I mean, I knew it was mass produced in vats, but if anything, I figure they'd only spend the money on all those preservatives for the stuff that had to keep, versus what would be on a plate in a couple of days.

Still got that bag handy? What was on the ingredient list?

Comment

Don't you just imagine this big million-gallon tank up there in Waipio Gentry as the bottomless source of this gunk? And the complex system of flexible pipes pumping it into big trucks? (Does Zippy's own Rotor Rooter or does Rotor Rooter own Zippy's?) (hey come to think of it, maybe Zippy's could design a fool-proof sewer system!). And the many minimum-wage workers in hairnets and latex globes with hand can openers dumping in kidney beans, dehydrated onions, Lawry's Chili Mix packets and TVP? And for good measure, some chewy gristly ground beef to assure that it is indeed almost real.

Let's just say I'm no fan of Zip's chili--however, I must confess that I do love a chili frank plate at least once a year.

Now my husband, he can make a mean pot of chili! From the initial asthma inducing browning of poblanos to that garnish of lime squeezed on top, my man knows chili.
          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123

For that matter...how many Oahu people know that Zippy's is only an Oahu thing...neighbor islands no more?
            Plans for the first Zippy's on Maui have been delayed.

It's an Oahu thing now, but before Iniki hit in 1992, they were on Kauai.
            Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
            We're not here to mess around
            Boston, you know we love you madly
            Hear the crowd roar to your sound
            Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
            You know we couldn't live without you
            Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
              Don't you just imagine this big million-gallon tank up there in Waipio Gentry as the bottomless source of this gunk? And the complex system of flexible pipes pumping it into big trucks? (Does Zippy's own Rotor Rooter or does Rotor Rooter own Zippy's?) (hey come to think of it, maybe Zippy's could design a fool-proof sewer system!). And the many minimum-wage workers in hairnets and latex globes with hand can openers dumping in kidney beans, dehydrated onions, Lawry's Chili Mix packets and TVP? And for good measure, some chewy gristly ground beef to assure that it is indeed almost real.

Let's just say I'm no fan of Zip's chili--however, I must confess that I do love a chili frank plate at least once a year.

Now my husband, he can make a mean pot of chili! From the initial asthma inducing browning of poblanos to that garnish of lime squeezed on top, my man knows chili.
              Will your man share his recipe?

Comment

probably, mon cherie. Find yourself a bottle of stout, a big chunka chuck, and standby. Give me a couple of days, OK? It's best in a porcelained cast iron LeCrusset, the bigger the better. Surely you have one of those!

@
                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
                  probably, mon cherie. Find yourself a bottle of stout, a big chunka chuck, and standby. Give me a couple of days, OK? It's best in a porcelained cast iron LeCrusset, the bigger the better. Surely you have one of those!

@
                  Several. I also have a slowcooker, which is not all that easy to find, over here. Ricecookers, too, are a novelty item. Come to that, RICE is a novelty item, almost!

Comment

The way this thread was titled in pun form as "Always Bean This Way" had me thinking it was going to be about their Vegetarian Chili, which I much prefer over the traditional Chili. Served HOT from the take-out counter, of course. I love the texture of the mushrooms in it - at least that's what I THINK it is! Or is it some sort of "Meatless Mystery"?

Here's Zippy's nutritional information page. Unfortunately it doesn't include the ingredients lists.
                    Last edited by Pomai; May 24, 2006, 03:41 PM.
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

To cut cost and be consistant Zippy's chili is made in large quantities and shipped to the restaurants, not like the old days where it was made in the rest. and some cooks would add thier 2 cents in. I think they changed to central cooking in the early 80's

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                        The way this thread was titled in pun form as "Always Bean This Way" had me thinking it was going to be about their Vegetarian Chili, which I much prefer over the traditional Chili. Served HOT from the take-out counter, of course. I love the texture of the mushrooms in it - at least that's what I THINK it is! Or is it some sort of "Meatless Mystery"?
                        I've always been curious about the vegetarian version of Zippy's chili, but I'm hesitant to actually plunk down some money for it.

I tend to shy away from most vegetarian chili. In fact, these days I only eat the homemade turkey or chicken chili that my boyfriend makes (he puts a lot of chopped up chilis and Indian chili powder in there for me! ), as I often find that most vegetarian chili tastes like someone simply dumped a bunch of ketchup in there (blech). A lot of vegetarian chili seems to be very ketchupy and sweet, not yummy spicy. How would you describe the Zippy's vegetarian chili?

Comment

hard to say without tasting it yourself.

in general, zippy's chili of all variations are only ok. its basically a fast food type of chili. the centralized cooking of the chili made things worse in my opinion.

if you're eating a decent homemade version then you're not missing much.

their chili is not spicy either.

Comment

Zippy's is a good stand-by ... and I don't know if it's psychological or what, but I'd be horrified at receiving a seal-a-meal BAG of chili for my fundraising tickets, instead of the familiar, reusable (and oh-so-kitchen-kitschy) plastic container!

Thanks for the warning!

This thread brings to mind a chili cook-off I had the pleasure of helping to judge several years back (in the 1980s). It was a U.S. Navy cookoff ... and I can't remember which team won, but my very favorite entry was called "Hellraiser," and oh-my-gosh! It was hot enough to be a pleasure for heat-lovers, it bit you without blowing your head off. It was like that John Mellencamp song "Hurt so Good" (you spice guys know what I mean, right?). It also wasn't overly tomato-ey or overly thick from too much flour ... I wish I'd been more serious about cooking at the time, because I'd love to have another taste to try to de-construct/reconstruct it. MAN that was the best chili I ever ate. A biker-looking dude had submitted the recipe.
                            I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos
                              How would you describe the Zippy's vegetarian chili?
                              Well, to begin with, I ordered one today and took a photo for you!...

This (large) 5 oz. take-out container costs $3.75 which was ordered with crackers (2 packages included) instead of the usual white rice.

First I must declare that Zippy's Chili served hot at the take-out counter tastes like it was fresh made. Unless someone told me (like in this thread), I would have never known it came in pre-processed bags.

I would describe Zippy's Vegetarian Chili as being meaty in an earthy kind of way, most likely from the abundance of sliced mushrooms in it. The Chili flavor is pronounced, yet its spicy edge is considered mild, as is a hint of sweetness. There's also what looks like ground boca (soy-based) burger which gives it the simulated texture of ground beef, without the heaviness of it. Enough that it would have most carnivores fooled in this disguise. There's also an abundance of perfectly tender kidney beans, corn and small chopped pieces of bell peppers, celery and onion.

i-Hungry is right... you'll have to try it and be your own judge. For what it's worth, I think it's great... especially on those days when you crave something heavy, but should be eating light.

F-Y-I to expats: Zippy's take-out prices have risen considerably. A ZipPac is now $7.10 and most of their regular plate lunches are $6.50 or higher, breaking the former $5 ceiling. They've also phased out the classic paper plate with the cardboard paper box shell in of favor black styrofoam plates with vacuformed clear lids.
                              Last edited by Pomai; May 25, 2006, 03:37 PM. Reason: I kept the image considerably large so you can see the bits 'o' stuff in there.
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                              X