• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Snakes & Mosquitos in Hawaii?

Maybe there is a snake here, now....

"Updated at 12:03 p.m., Friday, April 18, 2008

Possible snake sighting at Marine Corps Hawaii base

Marine Corps Base Hawaii received a report of a possible snake sighting on base at 7:30 a.m. Wednesday, according to a news release.

A base resident described a greenish-brown snake approximately two feet in length. Marine Corps Base Hawaii officials contacted the State Department of Agriculture Snake Interdiction Group after receiving the report."

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...ING01/80418047
    Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
      Maybe there is a snake here, now....

"Updated at 12:03 p.m., Friday, April 18, 2008

Possible snake sighting at Marine Corps Hawaii base

Marine Corps Base Hawaii received a report of a possible snake sighting on base at 7:30 a.m. Wednesday, according to a news release.

A base resident described a greenish-brown snake approximately two feet in length. Marine Corps Base Hawaii officials contacted the State Department of Agriculture Snake Interdiction Group after receiving the report."
      http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...ING01/80418047
      Yup, probably a BTS that hitched a ride on a transport from Guam. Not good if it settles on base as there's a good sized bird sactuary near the rifle range.

Comment

oh man~ Nobody ever told me about the bird sanctuary in the area and I know people that work on that base. Thanks for the heads-up.

Big bummer....hoping they catch the thing.

People that live Aikahi, Keep a lookout!

Comment

I have not heard another report about the snake seen in base housing of Kaneohe Marine Corps. Anyone hear any update?

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
            I have not heard another report about the snake seen in base housing of Kaneohe Marine Corps. Anyone hear any update?
            I second that, even if this is two years later

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger Beer View Post
              I second that, even if this is two years later
              Sorry gang....

A Corn Snake was found in Kaneohe, on Kahekili hwy. pecked at by a chicken after being run over - about 5 years ago.

Around the same time, a kid who was staying IN kANEOHE but who lived on the big island, reported opening his suitcase in Hilo and there was a garter snake inside!

There be snakes in Hawaii!
              Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
              ~ ~
              Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
              Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
              Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
                Except for those little blind burrowing snakes -- the ones that look like earthworms until they open their mouths! They probably got brought in in the soil around some potted plants. Saw a few at UH when the gardeners were working. Weird little guys.

Edit: Here's a photo of one of those blind snakes.
                Ah yes, the Hawaii Blind Snake. I've seen them on Oahu and the Big Island. At first they look like a black earthworm, but if you look closely it really is a tiny snake.

http://www.explorebiodiversity.com/H...0-%20Blind.htm

If you live in Hawaii long enough and you root around in your gardens frequently enough, you're bound to see an Brahminy Blind Snake (Ramphotyhlops braminus). If you do ever happen to catch glimpse of these worm-looking vertebrates, you'll be know they are female. Its the only known parthenogenic snake. That means that one snake can populate an island by laying unfertilized eggs that hatch to become virtual female clones. Its a great adaptation that has enabled island existence of other species (notably the geckos). Sometime in the 1980's the blind snake was introduced to the islands of Hawaii in potting soil from plants (probably from the Philippines). These small snakes with tiny eye-spots, eat small termites, ants and other arthropods. As termites and ants are also introduced animals, these snakes pose no great threat to ecosystems in Hawaii.
                Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                  Sorry gang....

A Corn Snake was found in Kaneohe, on Kahekili hwy. pecked at by a chicken after being run over - about 5 years ago. There be snakes in Hawaii!
                  Which begs the joke: Why did the Chicken cross the road? To eat the snake!

Why did the snake cross the road? To get away from the Chicken!
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Maryland man with 124 snakes in his house died of snakebite, autopsy finds (yahoo.com)

I hate snakes!

Comment

Why Do Some People Get Bit by Mosquitoes More Than Others? | Watch (msn.com)

Blood "O" no.

Comment

Are you a mosquito magnet? It could be your smell | National | kitv.com

Smells like mosquito punk.

Comment

Study Confirms Mosquitoes Prefer Biting Some People Over Others (msn.com)

Mosquito bait.

Comment

What animal kills the most humans? Here's the unexpected predator and how to protect yourself. (msn.com)

Mosquito punk.

Comment

Police warn residents after "extremely venomous" green mamba escapes (yahoo.com)

You gotta watch your step.

Comment

Working...
                              X