Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Democratic National Convention 2008

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    > You've tried to convince us that there's a huge rift in the party, between Clinton and Obama supporters --- jury's still out on that one; we'll see what she says tonight, and what happens when the voting takes place - the only numbers that matter. Swing, and a ... ... ...
    ... ... ... miss; strike 3. Maybe politics ain't your game, Tim.

Comment

Obama nominated by Acclamation on Senator Hillary Clinton's motion. I do like the roll call of the states: "Madame Chairman, the Greeeeeeeaaaaaaaat state of ___________ , home of ___________ and _____________ and ________________, proudly casts_______ votes for the next President of the United States, _________________!!!!!!!!!" One of the great and peculiar rituals of American politics.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
        I do like the roll call of the states: "Madame Chairman, the Greeeeeeeaaaaaaaat state of ___________ , home of ___________ and _____________ and ________________, proudly casts_______ votes for the next President of the United States, _________________!!!!!!!!!" One of the great and peculiar rituals of American politics.
        I wanted the State of Hawai'i to do us proud by saying: "Eh Brah, howzit? Da kine State Hawai'i, hale da broke da mout ono grinds, fo real give em in Olympics, an shaka aloha, kay den hana hou dirty votes fo ohana brah Obama fo akamai moke!!!!!!! Wanna beef? Den no stink eye. Kay den pau hana, aloha."

Now THAT would have been worth tuning in to!
        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

You just gotta love ol' Slick Willy. If anybody could run again, he would be elected in a landslide. I betcha even a hardcore right winger like Leo would vote for him.
          FutureNewsNetwork.com
          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

We can thank Bill for paving the road for Bush.
            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Tim, I am so looking forward to your commentary on the GOP Convention, too. Much more insightful than the mainstream media, that's for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                We can thank Bill for paving the road for Bush.
                President Clinton did a lot more good (for America and abroad) than bad.
                Yeah, he had his personal and presidential foibles.

BUT WE CAN DEFINITELY THANK G.W. BUSH FOR PAVING THE ROAD FOR OBAMA!

I am looking forward with an-tis-i-pa-tion.

Since what we are doing presently is not working out well, why not try a different approach?
                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Just thought of something all Democratic Presidential nominee's since 1972 are still living.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                    Since what we are doing presently is not working out well, why not try a different approach?
                    I fear, despite what the current polls say, that when a majority of Americans step into the the privacy of the poll booth, they will not vote for a "black" man. I think it is going to be another Republican administration.
                    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                      Just thought of something all Democratic Presidential nominee's since 1972 are still living.
                      And all but one of the VP nominees (Sen. Bentsen died in 2006). But two of the past VP nominees were most unwelcome at this year's convention: Sens. Edwards and Lieberman.

Comment

And all but one of the VP nominees (Sen. Bentsen died in 2006). But two of the past VP nominees were most unwelcome at this year's convention: Sens. Edwards and Lieberman.
                        Senator Thomas Eagleton, who was nominated with Senator George McGovern at the 1972 DNC died not too long ago as well. In fact on a local note Bob Sevey of KGMB and Bob Basso from KHON interviewed Eagleton when they covered the DNC that year. I think Byron Baker was there for KHVH.

Eagleton was dropped shortly after the 72' DNC and Sargant Shriver (Arnold's father in law) replaced him. Shriver is alive but has alzheimers now.

Aj

Comment

Eagleton was dropped shortly after the 72' DNC and Sargant Shriver (Arnold's father in law) replaced him. Shriver is alive but has alzheimers now.
                          I remembered Sen. Eagleton, but considered Shriver the "nominee," since he was the one who ran for most of the campaign - but you're right in that Eagleton was the official nominee for a couple of weeks. He withdrew from the ticket due to questions about his medical treatments, including a couple sessions of electro-shock therapy. A lot has changed in the 36 years since then ... one would hope.

Comment

I remembered Sen. Eagleton, but considered Shriver the "nominee," since he was the one who ran for most of the campaign - but you're right in that Eagleton was the official nominee for a couple of weeks. He withdrew from the ticket due to questions about his medical treatments, including a couple sessions of electro-shock therapy. A lot has changed in the 36 years since then ... one would hope.
                            Yes. The McGovern-Eagleton ticket even made the cover of Time Magazine, very brief campaign together, that is for sure. I believe one of the major reasons they have such extensive background checks now for VP's is because of this incident.

I have video of McGovern announcing that Eagleton was dropped from the ticket and as I recall at the press conference Shriver wasnt yet named. Maybe I'll post this sometime along for all the political junkies to see.

Aj

Comment

Yes. The McGovern-Eagleton ticket even made the cover of Time Magazine, very brief campaign together, that is for sure.
                              Time also did a cover-story follow-up, after the news broke, but just before Sen. Eagleton withdrew. It's available online, starting here.

Comment

Tom Eagleston isn't the only reason why potential veeps are closely vetted today. Does anyone remember Spiro Agnew?
                                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Working...
                                X