State of Radio In Hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: State of Radio In Hawaii

Aloha Russ!! Walter Pacheco frequents Macayan Motors every mid morning for coffee and light talk with John Macayan. Every so often I steal some time away from Big Island Honda and drive down to talk story with them. We're all part of the Amaaulu Camp One gang along with Herbert Segawa.

And Shredded Mango, he's still very much alive.

If I had the money I'd love to start up a live-local radio station here in Hilo and do a great morning/afternoon drive with lots of elements to keep listeners entertained during their morning and afternoon commutes.

Nice to hear from you again Russ!
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Thanks for the thoughtful and very detailed post on Waltah-- Russell. But from my recollection he claimed to have hated Paper Roses by Marie Osmond and that was the record he was always “breaking” on the air.

He would start winding up then claim he hated Paper Roses and would then say "I going broke dees racket” Then you would hear a snapping sound and he claimed he broke the record. Who knows if he really did--but it was funny to hear him carry on about it. I also remember him calling High School basketball games on the air.

I think I mainly enjoyed him because he did stuff like that and he also would referee City League basketball games which I played in way back then and was light years away from formulaic while on the air.

Also--didn’t the Gordon family own one of the Hilo radio stations when you started there in the business?
      A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

Comment

Originally posted by Shredded Mango View Post

Also--didn’t the Gordon family own one of the Hilo radio stations when you started there in the business?

I think at one time they owned either KIPA 620 or KHBC when that was on AM 1060.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

KIPA-AM 620 was put on the air by Hugh Gordon in the late 1940s. His son Buddy later managed the station until it was sold around 2002.

About a year later, Buddy bought KAHU-AM 1060 from the Bakers. The call letters were changed to KHBC, which were also assigned to TV Channel 22 in Hilo.

Buddy owned the station for about four years, until it was sold to Parrot Broadcasting. They changed the call letters to KIPA in 2009. I don't know if 1060 is still on the air...it hasn't been the last few times I've tried to tune it in from Hana.

Comment

Please, any more history on the late KAHU? Who were the Bakers? When did the station go on the air? It seemed so Hawaiian oriented I thought it was licensed kind of like KTNN (the Navajo owned 50 kw. 660 in Window Rock, Az.) to a community council, but evidently not. I liked KAHU because it seemed like a real "mom & pop" operation, it was so local. Anyway, any additional history on the station would be appreciated.

And what about Mynah Bird? He seemed to have such a large and loyal following, it just doesn't make sense that he's not on the air somewhere in Hilo, which he wasn't last year when I visited.

Comment

In my opinion, the kind of show Mynah Bird was successful with through his radio career reached a diminishing audience as the years went by. That audience probably had a significant drop off after he switched from the multi-frequency all on the same number KIPA 620 AM to the Hilo only KHBC 1060 AM a few years back. I think it went downhill from there, even though in the end he was in most parts of the island through the owners' FM stations (which went into bankruptcy and are now for sale).

His audience probably skewed older over the years. Today's "youngsters" are not used to the rather slow pace, news, community bulletin board type talk radio oriented, oldies music program that Mynah Bird was known for. They prefer to listen to something else, and it ain't radio.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Good points. It remains a mystery to me and others why the young demographic is pretty much the exclusive focus for advertisers. Its been said before, but its worth repeating, as people get older (up to a point) they usually get more disposable income. While they might not be good targets for marketing chewing gum, they are more logical choices for marketing real estate, cars, contractors, brokers, etc.

Comment

Well-known voices absent from morning commute following radio layoffs (hawaiinewsnow.com) a

This is like a bunch of longtime local restaurants closing down all at the same time.

Comment

HI Radio Station Layoffs Are A Blow To Hawaiian Music https://www.civilbeat.org/2022/01/tr...awaiian-music/
                    the blow to GREAT Hawaiian music was the '70s corporatization of the music, slowly but surely they strangled the life out of what put Hawaii on the map just like they did to Waikiki. when it's another restricted type of payola scheme where only narrow lines of selectivity rule the few airwaves then it's survival of the weakest. my vast / diverse public domain collection could power the 'good music' revival by itself, as could other's with vintage taste and an attention span beyond the length of a flash ad. to lose the DJ / names mentioned is sad for them but I'll never miss such insipid banality. remember trumpeter Don Cherry, he was a jazz DJ here for years long ago, he let the music speak and only contributed interesting info. we need more of that, or the NPR late nite style of Seth Markow, not shilly blabbermouths.
                    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

HI Radio Station Layoffs Are A Blow To Hawaiian Music
                      Hawaiian music is still around on the radio stations impacted by these layoffs more than a year ago now.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post

Hawaiian music is still around on the radio stations impacted by these layoffs more than a year ago now.
                        I was left to nothing but radio for a bit and there was a smattering of vintage to be heard but overall it's gone. the modern era has no use for it and in general IMO it's criminal the airwaves have been purposely destroyed. the entire dial is a wasteland and has been for decades.

https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Working...
                        X