Hawaii's Best Hamburger? Where?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii's Best Hamburger? Where?

Original Teddy’s Bigger Burgers eatery moving into Waikiki, Erika Engle reports today. They're taking the spot along lower Kapahulu that used to be a Jack In The Box, in the Waikiki Grand Hotel and across from the Honolulu Zoo.

The new space will be almost three times larger and will definitely offer better walk-by traffic... but I don't think the parking situation will be improved much. Sure, there's a big city lot across the way, but that's always packed.

That said, I wish 'em luck. Tasty stuff!

Comment

"that used to be a Jack In The Box"

Sheez, first Denny's and now Jack being displaced in that area.

Comment

Maybe I'm biased (hey, I worked upstairs!), but Fridays at Ward used to have great burgers when they first opened. One for every day of the week. The Wednesday burger was mushrooms and onions with cheese, as I recall.

Last few times I've been there, though, they seem to have gotten away from that kind of menu altogether.
        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Leimamo
          For French Fries, we'd go to Tasty Freeze
          <offtopic>Tasty Freeze had DA BESTEST orange freeze too.</offtopic>

Comment

Originally posted by Albert
            "that used to be a Jack In The Box"

Sheez, first Denny's and now Jack being displaced in that area.
            Actually it's the other way around. That Jack-in-the-Box was closed before June.

Comment

HK Restaurant on S. King near the old stadium had excellent teri burgers, but I heard they closed recently...

MOS Burger was good too.

Recently I went to a place in Maryland called Silver Diner and had what they called an 'Aloha Burger', basically a teri burger with some type of pineapple relish. Could have used more mayo, otherwise not bad at all.

Comment

Helen wrote:

"Actually it's the other way around. That Jack-in-the-Box was closed before June."

Just goes to show how often I go to Waikiki.

Comment

Is MOS Burger still around?

Comment

I don't think so. They opened on Ward for a while (about a year I think), then they were at Market City, then closed. I noticed both locations didn't have the teri burger on the menu. I used to go when they were at the AMC food court, back when Cactus Jack's(home of the heavenly bean chimichanga and pineapple salsa) and Jo-Ni's were also there. Why do my favorite places have to close???

Comment

Ward? Market City? Shows how out of touch I am. (Eh, Albert? ) The last two MOS Burger outlets I've seen were on University in the YMCA building years and years ago, and then in the increasingly high-rent Ewa end of Waikiki on Kalakaua. Never had one yet... mostly 'cause my friends at UH always called 'em "moss burgers."

Comment

still get dinners in Hawaii Kai?? good burgers there.....
                        95 4 banger - 04 Rubi

Comment

I tried the Classic Burger with cheese at Big City Diner in the Ward Theater complex. It was around $8 with fries. Kind of big burger but not messy to eat.

Comment

Helen reported:

"It was around $8 with fries."

Yikes, think I'll stick with Jack-in-the-Box.

Comment

I would stick with Jack-in-the-Box too, but it was 11:30 pm, I just gotten out of watching Thunderbirds and I didn't have anything to eat since lunch time and Big City Diner was open to 1am on Friday nights and there was no line to get in.

I think the next time I go there I might try something else but I know the burger is okay.

Comment

Well, that's the price of a "gourmet" burger. Heck, the very best burgers will easily put you above $10. I imagine to some folks, paying so much for what's essentially ground beef and bread is ridiculous, but when I'm reallyin the mood, a $8 Kua`aina burger combo is just too tastly to resist.

I figure, if a cheap-ass fast food burger combo costs me $5 for both the cheap-ass burger and the cheap-ass fries, a $3 premium is pretty reasonable to upgrade the components several fold. The price variation between low-end and high-end is definitely easier to take than in, say, sushi, or wine.

Comment

Working...
                                X