View Single Post
Old October 12th, 2018, 07:30 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to TuNnL Send a message via Yahoo to TuNnL
Lightbulb Re: Is cost of living really why so many move?

These are all really helpful points of view. I consider myself in the “Terrence Teruya” category. I understand all the wonderful things in Hawai‘i. I grew up here. The culture, environment and people are special and unique.

But you have your head in the sand if you can’t see things are getting progressively worse. Traffic gridlock has become normal. Crime is skyrocketing (and the digital signs hung from H-1 freeway overpasses — ensure we advertise the stats). Taxes on businesses have raised the cost of everything from a 12-pack of Diet Coke to plastic shopping bags.

Rents are at an all-time high — if you are lucky enough to leapfrog over the next person trying lease the same unit. And that one thing overriding factor — the Aloha spirit — where has it gone? Seeing someone help a stranger in need is MUCH more rare than observing a theft or assault. More and more people treat each other like dirt. It’s unbelievable how many people refuse to even acknowledge you when you say hello.

Wow! We’ve truly become a different place.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
USA TODAY, page 2A
11 March 1993