View Single Post
Old December 21st, 2013, 11:32 PM
Keiki

Cool Re: Homeless solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by matapule View Post
Susi'ana, you are not old enough to remember and most members of HT are not old enough to remember, but matapule remembers. It was President Ronald Reagan and his "compassionate conservatism" that eliminated Federal funding for mental health programs. He said it was the State's responsibility not the national government to take care of the mentally ill......without providing any funding for those programs. Reagan essentially decimated funding for mental health programs and we are reaping the "benefits" today.

Homelessness is a complex problem with varied reasons (not just mental illness) and no easy answers. However, withdrawing funding at the Federal, State, and local level has not provided a solution. If you are a religious person you should ask yourself, what would Jesus, or Yaweh, or Mohammed, or whoever...do.

Each of us is no better than the least of us.
I'm wondering if you read what I wrote... first of all, I'm 52, so yes of course I remember Reagan and all he did. That's why I said in my post that there weren't many homeless people around when I was growing up.

I agree with all you're saying. I wonder why you think that I wouldn't, based on what I said, unless you only read part of it or misunderstood.

At any rate, while of course it is a national problem, I think most of us are most concerned with just dealing with the local problems, which are worse than most cities from what I've heard.

I'm not religious, but as I said, I feel very badly for all the poor and homeless. I wonder, since this is a blue state (i.e. Democrat and not Republican) why we don't take better care of people. I mean, we do have a great health care system, so why has no one raised taxes and provided funds to solve the problems of poverty here in Hawaii? This is paradise, right? It should be a liberal paradise as well.

Suzanne Lanoue
http://suzann.com