HDTV Television Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDTV Television Question

I'm curious why certain HDTV channels television feed is different than the SDTV version? I've noticed this difference on A&E's HD and SD channels.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Re: HDTV Television Question

What's HD?

My 10+ year old Panasonic analog TV works fine with my analog cable and my A/B switch that allows me to pick up the free digital over the air signal with my lousy antenna.

I am going to wait until my old TV dies before I buy anything digital. The pictures may be great, but for the most part, the content like shopping channels and reality shows still suck.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

HD television
      The Kona Blog

Comment

Yep, thanks for that link. I know what HD TV. Seen plenty in the store. Still expensive. Still waiting for prices to go even lower. Meanwhile my analog works fine and if it ain't broke, why fix it or buy a new one?

And yes, I know HDTV pictures are beautiful and all that too. But until recently if you have cable, you gotta pay extra for HDTV signal not to mention the despised box or even a cable card, which I think is criminal. Of course this was discussed here or somewhere else... cable cards, paying for digital set top boxes, etc.

OK. Hopefully someone will answer your original question. For now that person is not me.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
          What's HD?
          [...]
          Yep, thanks for that link. I know what HD TV. Seen plenty in the store. [...]

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
            I'm curious why certain HDTV channels television feed is different than the SDTV version? I've noticed this difference on A&E's HD and SD channels.
            Some East Coast and West Coast HD feeds for the various networfs aren't time shifted (delayed) for Hawaii time. You'll also notice it for TBS, USA and TNT among others.

Comment

Originally posted by Media Guy View Post
              Some East Coast and West Coast HD feeds for the various networfs aren't time shifted (delayed) for Hawaii time. You'll also notice it for TBS, USA and TNT among others.
              I definitely notice it! i'm on Direct TV and I keep missing programs because they are on before i get home. and i don't have TIVO or DVR.
              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Media Guy View Post
                I recently ran into this issue when I was watching Dog The Bounty Hunter. The SD A&E channel had Dog on the regular time. However, the HD A&E channel was showing infomercials at the same time.
                The Kona Blog

Comment

I noticed the same thing. HD programming doesn't follow SD programming all the time.

One thing I noticed about local programming in HD vs stuff from DirecTV is the difference in the picture. On DirecTV there's HD Theater where HD quality is unbelievable! It's almost as if my TV set was an open window to whatever I was viewing.

Then there's watching the NBA....oh man the crawls on the bottom of the screen is incredable! Plus if the HD original feed is in letterbox format, the programming feed contains additional stats on the pillars, something you won't normally see on standard TV sets with no wide-screen capability.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I know what HD TV. Seen plenty in the store. Still expensive. Still waiting for prices to go even lower. Meanwhile my analog works fine and if it ain't broke, why fix it or buy a new one?

And yes, I know HDTV pictures are beautiful and all that too. But until recently if you have cable, you gotta pay extra for HDTV signal not to mention the despised box or even a cable card, which I think is criminal.
                    Went down to Best Buy™ the other day. A top-of-the-line 42” plasma t.v. is only $800. That’s about $200 less then I paid for my 30” tube t.v. five years ago, and at least $5,000 less than a similar flatscreen sold for during the same period. I would be very surprised if the store makes a significant profit with this price.

Also, the sales guy told me I can upgrade my cable to high definition (HD) for only $6.95 a month. Considering I only have basic cable (less than standard cable — I get barely more than a dozen channels) now, this is an AMAZING deal. If this isn’t cheap enough for you, Mel, you’ll be waiting for a price drop until you die. I imagine prices are this dirt cheap because of the economy, which will likely bounce back in the next few years.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                    USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

What's HD?
                      My 10+ year old Panasonic analog TV works fine with my analog cable and my A/B switch that allows me to pick up the free digital over the air signal with my lousy antenna.
                      I am going to wait until my old TV dies before I buy anything digital. The pictures may be great, but for the most part, the content like shopping channels and reality shows still suck.
                      Mel, it's difficult to tell in which way your responses are intended to answer Konaguy's question.

Yeah, we have a setup similar to yours and don't intend to go digital either. But as curmudgeonly Luddite as that may be, I didn't feel the need to bomb Konaguy's post...
                      Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                      Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                      We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                      Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                        Also, the sales guy told me I can upgrade my cable to high definition (HD) for only $6.95 a month. Considering I only have basic cable (less than standard cable — I get barely more than a dozen channels) now, this is an AMAZING deal. If this isn’t cheap enough for you, Mel, you’ll be waiting for a price drop until you die. I imagine prices are this dirt cheap because of the economy, which will likely bounce back in the next few years.
                        I believe you need to subscribe to Oceanic's digital cable service before you can get Oceanic's HDTV service.

In addition, you don't need to subscribe to the HD Entertainment Pak to get HD channels. There is several accessible HD channels if you have a HD TV, set top box and digital cable service.
                        The Kona Blog

Comment

You can get HD with out any cable box from Oceanic cable: all you need is a atsc, or qam tunner built into your Tv. (NBC, CBS, FOX, ABC, KHET, UPN etc)

see link below:

http://www.oceanic.com/products/tele...r-tivo-hookups

Comment

Well said, Nords...

Comment

I wait for a lot of things to happen before it settles down to a price level that I choose to pay. It will be up to me as to when I decide to go to HDTV. Surely if my current analog set dies, I'd probably go HDTV... but then again there are a lot of used analog sets on sale for dirt cheap on Craigslist.

Oh and if I die before this happens, then for sure I definitely do not need it.

I am most troubled by the possibility of having to get a set top box or cable card that I have to pay for in order to use Oceanic Digital Service.

However what unkown technician has linked to:

http://www.oceanic.com/products/tele...r-tivo-hookups

To get those channels from the above link - I don't have to get any cable set top box or card? The tuner built into the HDTV set can get these channels without incurring any other expense except for the monthly cable fee?

And what is the cable fee for getting only the most basic channels in digital HDTV as noted in the link above?

In today's world with a lot of other viewing options elsewhere, about the only thing that I really need are the over the air TV channels that I cannot catch without cable.... for national news and entertainment there are a lot of other options on the internet and of course DVDs.

I am kind of thinking about dumping Oceanic cable or going with the digital equivalent of the very low end basic analog TV service.
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                              X