Digital TV Over The Air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Digital TV Over The Air

I'm getting so sick of digital television. For two weeks in a row I've not been able to watch House on Fox because the channel either doesn't come in at all or it comes in unviewable with choppy or often missing audio and pixelated picture. We've tried retuning the television. The television is a newer digital ready, and we've tried it with and without converter box. Nothing helps. The most frustrating part is the fact that before last week it came in mostly fine, and suddenly it's not working.

We live out in the country where cable television isn't even available, and satellite is unpractical because of all of the trees. I don't know if it's a matter of "grass is always greener" but it seems like I had a lot less problems with over the air tv before we switched to digital. I remember at one house I could only get Fox in black and white but that was still more watchable than choppy and pixelated.
    Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
    Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

We have cable in the living room and master bedroom, but the kitchen and bathroom have stand alone TVs.

I know what you mean, Sophielynette. It's either 'no signal', or the image and audio are choppy. I'm often flipping around, trying to find any channel with a signal. I like to watch the news while putting on makeup in the bathroom or cooking in the kitchen, but it's so frustrating, I find I don't even turn on the TV anymore.

Comment

It's always the rural communities that suffer from technology. I marvel when I go into town and WOW my BlackBerry runs so smoothly with the broadband connectivity, I can actually run all my apps with no problem. When I go home, I may as well turn off my phone.

Digital sucks when you can't get a strong signal. At least with analog you could get part of the picture well enough to know what's happening. With Digital it's all glitching.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

It's not just rural areas that are having problems with the digital changeover. Here in the Phoenix Area the local FOX station went back to VHF after the switchover but so many people can't get the station that they now are rebroadcasting the station on a sub-channel on the MyNetwork station that is co-owned.

Comment

Latest peeve - where's KIKU? I get a strong signal strength but no programs. Also, when will channels 5 and 9 resume PSIP (nothing since the switch)?
            May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Just a point I noticed while I am on the Big Island this past week.

KFVE's signal is repeated to the neighbor islands over KGMV (Maui) and KGMD (Hilo). Both OTA satellites were once affiliated with KGMB TV which is now officially on Channel 5.1 OTA while KFVE is on OTA 9.1. The Raycom consolidators don't want to tell us that.

I noticed this while watching a UH basketball game last night and the legal ID was flashed on the bottom of the screen with KFVE KGMV KGMD and two other low powered translator signals listed.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Latest DT channels for Maui County...

4.1 KMAU/KITV (ABC) HD
                4.2 KITV Weather
                7.1 KAII/KHON (FOX) HD
                7.2 KAII/KHON (CW)
                9.1 KGMV/KFVE (My Network TV) HD
                10.1 KHET/KMEB (PBS) HD
                10.2 KHET/KMEB (PBS) Kids
                13.1 KHNL (NBC) HD
                13.2 KGMB (CBS) HD
                21.1 KWHE/KWHM (LaSea)

Comment

Mauibuzz: Thanks for the list of channels.

I wish the newspaper would publish a weekly TV channel guide of shows.

Comment

Yea, The Maui News (Bird cage liner,Fish wrapper) still only list the old analog channels, glad there on top of it!

Comment

To all:

I want to apologize to our over the air viewers for the loss of signal last night from 6-7:30pm during the Academy Awards.
                      A technical issue took us off the air at the worst possible time.
                      I am totally embarrased and we owe more to our viewers.

Mike

Comment

As of July 27, 12:00 midnight (i.e., last night), we lost all digital TV broadcasting signal OTA. Does anyone have any idea what's going on? I thought it might be the Ulupalakua transmitter on Maui but according to my converter box, I still get some kind of strong signal there; and by strong, I mean around 70-80%.

Again, does anyone know what's going on? Is it Maui or more close to the source signals?
                        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Same thing up here in Pukalani, Signal no data. They share the same fiber optic cable with Oceanic when they relay the signals from Oahu to Ulupalakua. There is a break in the line between Molokai & Lanai.

Comment

So, we get our signals from cable and not OTA from Oahu to Maui/Ulupalakua, correct?
                            Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

The story of what happened is at this link.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I was up at the time, I connect to the internet through a wireless router (RR) in the main house.Both OTA & RR went down at same time. HMM!

Comment

Working...
                                X