This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii Superferry

Chalk one up for "the little people!" The advisory committee looking into the expansion of Kahului Harbor for the superferry has returned a finding that the current plan of expanding the current piers should be abandoned and another suitable location nearby be explored for terminals for the ferry and other cruise liners.

This is a great victory for the people who use the harbor for things like canoe racing, fishing and surfing. Sometimes the little guy can beat Goliath. It just takes a lot of determination and noise.

Miulang

http://starbulletin.com/2005/01/22/news/index1.html
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

If they decide to look for a location just north of the current piers, then the windsurfers and parasailers are going to get their knickers in a twist, because that's their turf (Kanaha Beach Park). Some days you just can't win for losing, I guess. The displaced parasailers and windsurfers would all have to crowd into Pavilions by Ho'okipa Park.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Superferry seeks harbor funds
        Gregg Takayama, KHON, January 25, 2005
        Garibaldi needs lawmakers to approve $40 million to upgrade harbors by installing ramps and passenger facilities. Gov. Linda Lingle is already on board. "I believe this project can reinvigorate economic activity between the islands that has been stifled by rising interisland airfares," she said in Monday's State of the State address.
        While most people are excited about having an alternative to overpriced, cramped air travel, Ewa Rep. Mark Moses thinks the ferry could also do double-duty as an intra-island commuter ferry, getting folks from Ewa to downtown Honolulu each morning.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
          Superferry seeks harbor funds
          Gregg Takayama, KHON, January 25, 2005

While most people are excited about having an alternative to overpriced, cramped air travel, Ewa Rep. Mark Moses thinks the ferry could also do double-duty as an intra-island commuter ferry, getting folks from Ewa to downtown Honolulu each morning.
          Not so far fetched. We have "foot ferries" that run from Bremerton and that side of Puget Sound over to Seattle (only take passengers and no cars). Takes less than an hour (compared to more than 2 hours driving around the Sound) but the fare is kinda expensive: $12 one way. We have a shorter distance passenger-only "water taxi" that runs between West Seattle and downtown Seattle. That only takes about 10 minutes and costs I think $10 round trip.

This also sort of sounds like what Island Air was planning to do on the Big Island: commuter flights between Kona and Hilo for around $20/roundtrip.

What'll determine whether these shorter commuter alternatives succeed or not is how much the fares are and peoples' intolerance of traffic jams and if the price of gas for cars continues to rise.

Miulang

Comment

So the promoters of the Hawai'i Superferry are not going to have an easy time bringing the system up to speed after all. We have "obstructionist" environmentalists on Maui and Kauai who want more extensive environmental studies completed before approving the plans.

So we have the environmentalists thinking about the ecological future of the islands on one side pitted against the money and the people who could make this plan a reality on the other.

Since a kybosh was put on having the ferry terminal be part of the existing Kahului Harbor, one can only guess where they're thinking about siting the ferry terminal on Maui. If they want it near the current Kahului piers because of the facilities, about the only place they could use would be the Kanaha Beach area a little to the east of the current terminals. But that's where the windsurfers and parasailors play, so more than likely they, along with the canoe club that has its clubhouse in the Kanaha Beach area would raise a big enough stink that the ferry would have to find another location. Maybe they could go to Maalaea or Lahaina, but that would be too far away from Central Maui.

Miulang

Comment

It always takes the environmental whackos to put the kibosh on private enterprise thereby eventually inceasing the costs for all of us to do business.

Caution: This is a liberal inundation zone.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Let me pose the question here Mel ? I am fully aware of the benefits
                of the H4 Superferry.But what about the downsides like increased traffic,
                enironmental effects, like possible introduction of alien species. It seems
                these downsides to and many others should be shafted in favor of the
                capitalistic machine steamrolling everything in its way according to you.

I am not against progress, but I do feel that these issues warrant a closer
                look. Especially since if for these negative downsides do occur, they CANNOT
                be reversed.
                Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                The Kona Blog

Comment

The environmentalists will probably kill the ferry. There are certain deadlines for financing that the Hawaii Superferry must meet. But with these obstructionistic people in the way, it is very doubtful IMO that the ferry will set sail as proposed.

The environmentalists and their continuing assault on economic progress are to blame. There is nothing wrong with having a new ship sailing between the islands and offering consumers a possibly cheaper alternative to interisland travel.

Liberals and environmentalists don't care about Hawaii's economy and taxpayer's personal pocketbooks. They only want to perpetuate continued increases to Hawaii's cost of living via high taxes, new taxes, and roadblocks to economic progress.

[Waiting for another volley of liberal bricks]

I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I'm a liberal, and an environmentalist, and I want this ferry to happen. Of course, there must be some simple rationalization for an aberation such as myself to exist, as acknowledging things like "nuances" and "shades of grey" will cause one-dimensional universes to implode.

Comment

Mel, mel mel your avoiding the the points I raised. It re-affirms my feeling
                      that you feel hell with the negative consequences of the super ferry. Lets shove it down everyones throat without any due dillgence.

I have my doubts too about their financial viability since HAWAII TAXPAYERS including you Mel are backing 40 million in improvements to the harbors. What if they go belly up.That alone should taken seriously.

It seems Mel you do not care about ithe influx of traffic additional people this
                      service will bring to each island. Our roads here on the Big island are overloaded already. Plus there is the threat of alien species bring spread more easily now with the super ferry.

Also Mel, not everyone who shares a different view than yours is liberal.
                      No wonder why our country is so fragmented left vs right. NEITHER SIDE
                      IS RIGHT in my view. If more people had the brains to listen to each side
                      of the issue things in this country would be so much better.
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

Thanks for the terse lecture. My views will not change. I expected liberal rocks to be thrown and you have done so now. The ferry is doomed because of environmental activitists. An ecnomic option for Hawaii is fast fading away.

[outnumbered and whacked on the head by another liberal]

I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I give up...firstly it aggravates me when some people are unwilling to see the larger picture here, secondly I don't like to be branded a liberal when I'm not
                          one. It seems to me Mel that you brand ANYONE that has a conflicting view on ANY issue a liberal. I have been here long enough to see a
                          pattern here. That is very aggravating too. No one one can have decent
                          discussion with you since everyone but you is wrong or worst yet a liberal.

Back to the issue at hand, correct me if I'm wrong you do not care one bit
                          about the negative effects of the super ferry. You are perfectly willing to
                          accept the negative effects without any due dilligence. As a tax paying
                          citizen of this state I want this service to be throughly scruntized especially
                          since 40 million dollars of our TAXPAYER DOLLARS are on the line.
                          Last edited by Aaron S; February 21, 2005, 05:07 PM.
                          The Kona Blog

Comment

The Who and Why Behind the Attempt to Kill the Superferry

The Superferry has been in planning for nearly a year and there has been no such request for an EIS until this point. The timing of this opposition is clearly designed to kill the project. The CEO of Hawaii Superferry, John Garabaldi, has said precisely that. He said because of a reported "drop-dead-date" of June 30, 2005, all government contracts need to be in place or crucial financing will be lost.
                            (Emphasis added)

The environmentalists have their agenda. They want this project killed. I am sure you bleeding heart liberals will discount this view as published on HawaiiReporter.com

No chance for an economic alternative for Hawaii's consumers as long as environmentalists continue to put roadblocks in front of progress.

[This conservative is vastly outnumbered by the liberals here]

I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron S
                              It seems to me Mel that you brand ANYONE that has a conflicting view on ANY issue a liberal. I have been here long enough to see a pattern here. That is very aggravating too. No one one can have decent discussion with you since everyone but you is wrong or worst yet a liberal.
                              It seems to me that expecting a "decent discussion" is the problem here. If someone's looking to just spout off, and not open to a conversation, your best strategy is to let it go. It's certainly not worth aggravation... especially on a holiday weekend!

I think the environmental impact of the ferry will be negligible, at least compared to other projects that are undertaken on a near-daily basis. That said, considering the work that will need to be done on shorelines and the increased traffic on our waters, I find it hard to believe that anyone's pretending to be surprisedthat an EIS is being called for. Hell, you practically need an EIS to flush a toilet 'round here.

The EIS process can and has been abused, but it's also an important tool. Much as I want the ferry to happen, I would've hoped they could have spent some of the money they spent on PR on highlighting the minimal environmental impact, or even earth-friendly benefits, of what they're planning to do.

Hell, if Chevron can run ads with cute and happy seals, anything goes.
                              Last edited by pzarquon; February 21, 2005, 06:30 PM.

Comment

80% of 300 people polled informally by the Advertiser indicated that they are disappointed by the calls from Maui and Kauai Counties to embark on 9-month long environmental impact statements prior to final approval for the Superferry.

Are these people thinking only of their immediate short term gain? What would happen if there was an oil spill or some other kind of environmental disaster?

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                                X