Beef Jerky, love em or leave em

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Beef Jerky, love em or leave em

Wow Susie, are other housewives as busy as you? It actually sounds rather idyllic to me, hard work but all that canning, cooking, and stuff. Kind of reminds me of what life used to be like circa Grizzly Adams =)
    I think it beats fixing pc's and dealing with irate customers.
    Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
      Wow Susie, are other housewives as busy as you? It actually sounds rather idyllic to me, hard work but all that canning, cooking, and stuff. Kind of reminds me of what life used to be like circa Grizzly Adams =)
      I think it beats fixing pc's and dealing with irate customers.
      My Mom recently came to visit me, over here...and I have to say that I found the lifestyle she told me about CRAZY! And she lives in sleepy Hilo!

It's much more quiet over here where I am. I don't have to go out and live the flashing bight lights of 'Life' and 'Fun', but I can stay at home and watch the kids grow up and the neighbors fight. It's cheaper, too.

But then, I had my kids when I was 'mature', so I had already had a taste of all that kine stuffs. I'll bet that my kids head for the bright lights and the streets paved with gold, too, before they settle down....I suspect they'll be hard to keep down on the farm, once they discover the delights of the big cities and the even bigger places than France.

Keoni, my eldest (just 16), has just come back from a school trip to NY and DC. He now thinks that all Americans live in mansions and have four-car garages and eat out at every meal. He spent all the $$$ we gave him, as reasonable as he is, because 'It was all so cheap and there was so much good stuff!'. I hope that the school chooses India to go to, next year, or Rhodesia.
      http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
      http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
        It's like when you go to drying bananas or sugar and cinnamoned apple slices...gotta turn em or scoot them a bit all the time, or they stick. After they get a little bit dry, you can leave em an no stick.

I cube (1/2") meat and then fry it with salt and pepper and whatever, and then dehydrate it .... makes really good jerky nibbles. Turkey, beef, pork, fish...whatever, it's all good.

When I feel lazy, I just dry the meat raw, with nothing. That's good, too, plus it can be used for ordinary recipes after.
        Oh ho ho! Nice tips SusieM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
          Jimmy's beef jerky - i tried looking in china town for this for the last few years. i recall eating it when i went to golden harvest. last time i went to chinatown a shopowner told me after the last mad cow scare that jimmy's shut down. if anyone sees any, please let me know!
          Not sure myself if they still have it, but I could've sworn I saw some in Honolulu Chinatown recently (this past year). I know that Chinatown stores also don't bring in Bovril, the beef flavored liquid for the same Mad Cow reason. Next time I go, I'll look-see and let you know. I don't go as often, with a quarter buying only 10 minutes. Or, anyone want to try calling them in Vancouver?

Phone: 604.253.3944, Fax: 604.254.6616
          Attached Files
          Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what is left.

Comment

Well...hubby was making fajitas on the bar-be just a couple of days ago but he almost burnt one section of the steaks, and wouldn't use them. the flavor and aroma was irresistible. (he used the smoking chips and a homemade sauce with some maple syrup, soy, and not sure what all, but anyway.....ahem....) I told him I will eat that almost burnt meat cuz to me it is jerky. Oh man, it was awesome.

I've never intentionally made my own, but dang this was one delicious accident.
            Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Working...
            X