X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What's for lunch - Chapter 7

Originally posted by pzarquon
    [...]It's getting to the point where I sometimes think I'm drinking a little too much water!
    That can be an issue. Still, better to drink too much water than too much soda!

Comment

Eight chocolate-mint Girl Scout cookies and a bottle of water.

Comment

A chocolate omelette and a mug of green tea!

Comment

Pzarquon, think of this whenever you want to drink one of them sugar sweetened drinks.....high fructose corn syrup. Not "corn syrup". Used by every major soft drink mfr to sweeten their drinks. Invented by the Japanese back in nineteeennnnnnnnnn.......seventy, I believe. It is now being blamed for the high incidents of diabetes in the U.S. Btw, just about all prepared and prepackaged food items that need sweetening contain HFCS. Even our beloved Hawaiian Sun and other local fruit drinks, almost all jams and jellies, peanut butter, most breads, most candies and chocolates, "maple" syrup, most ice creams, some sport drinks, etc. The stuff is way cheaper than sugar and easier to use. Add an extra 1/2 hour for food shopping for label reading.

In this household, it's cold barley or green tea, water, milk or fresh squeezed tangerine/orange juice and some commercial stuff that doesn't contain HFCS.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
            I have to confess that I had 3 instances of caffeined soda this week. One on Sunday, another on Monday (both were Diet Cokes) and a bottle of Mountain Dew yesterday mid-morning.
            Wow, Helen. I'm impressed. I remember the ol' days when you used to drink <fill in the number> daily, caffeinated Big Gulps.

Comment

"A chocolate omelette and a mug of green tea!"

A chocolate omelette?

Pray tell, what is that and how does one make/acquire one?
              I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

four or five bottles' worth of water (refilling my 20 oz. container)
                Something to remember with refilling water bottles:
                If you are using a spanky-nice Nalgene bottle, be sure to wash it out weekly.
                If you are refilling a plastic bottled-water container that you once bought, throw it in the recycle bin after a week.

If you don't do this, nasty floral growth will occur in the bottle, which will end up making you sicker than a six-soda-a-day habit.

Comment

I've probably slipped more often than Helen has in the goal to exorcize high-calorie, caffeinated beverages from one's diet, but I'm still happy with how well I'm doing.
                  helen & pz - don't kick yourselves for the occasional soda. Everything in moderation (including moderation itself) - and it sounds like you've both made major steps in cutting back on soda consumption.

Being aware of what you take in is one of the most valuable steps. Several people I know who lost a lot of weight on Atkins (then stopped the strict diet plan itself) say that awareness is what they gained most from the diet plan, and it helped them keep the weight off and eat healthier.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                    Something to remember with refilling water bottles:
                    If you are using a spanky-nice Nalgene bottle, be sure to wash it out weekly.
                    If you are refilling a plastic bottled-water container that you once bought, throw it in the recycle bin after a week.

If you don't do this, nasty floral growth will occur in the bottle, which will end up making you sicker than a six-soda-a-day habit.
                    Really? Huh. I have a polypropylene water bottle at my desk that I fill every morning. I make sure it's drained at the end of the day and just let it air-dry. Haven't seen any algae growths, and it's been more than a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle
                      "A chocolate omelette and a mug of green tea!"

A chocolate omelette?

Pray tell, what is that and how does one make/acquire one?
                      I usually call it a 'breakfast brownie' (rather than a chocolate omelette...it's really a denser chocolate souffle) but because this is a lunch thread I tried to stay on topic! I make it low carb style but ingredients can be substituted. I've served it at 2 brunches and everyone loved it. Here ya go:

Per serving:
                      2 eggs (could probably use Eggbeaters)
                      1 heaping TBSP unsweetened cocoa
                      2 TBSP sugar free chocolate syrup (DaVinci or Torani, which are very thin)
                      2 TBSP cream or milk (I use soy milk)
                      (The last 3 ingredients can be adjusted to taste)

Mix thoroughly (a blender is best). Cook whatever way you're used to making omelettes.
                      Before folding in half:

Filling:
                      1 TBSP cream cheese (sometimes I use 2 TBSP ricotta) mixed with
                      1 - 2 tsp. sugar free syrup (I use vanilla or caramel...or you can use regular sugar, brown sugar, an artificial sweetener or no sweetener!)
                      2 fresh strawberries, thinly sliced

When serving this to guests I add a few slices of strawberries on top plus a dollop of homemade whipped cream before serving! I made 6 servings yesterday and will have this for dinner tonight! And, no, I can't imagine it with rice, a veggie or salad! I've already had my veggies and salad for the day!

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                        Really? Huh. I have a polypropylene water bottle at my desk that I fill every morning. I make sure it's drained at the end of the day and just let it air-dry. Haven't seen any algae growths, and it's been more than a year.
                        Just cause you can't see it, doesn't mean it ain't happening. I had a co-worker who was slowly getting sicker and sicker, and it took months before they figured out her water-bottle was the source.

Of course, you might have access to much cleaner water than she did. But I'd strongly recommend you give it a mild soapy scrub at least monthly. The growth will often be faster if you leave it in the sunlight, too.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                          I usually call it a 'breakfast brownie' (rather than a chocolate omelette...it's really a denser chocolate souffle) but because this is a lunch thread I tried to stay on topic! I make it low carb style but ingredients can be substituted. I've served it at 2 brunches and everyone loved it. Here ya go:
                          OH MY GOSH. That sounds delicious -- and thanks so much for the additional recipe tips along the way -- that's a wonderful way to present a recipe, I find.

Thanks Tutusue!
                          (I suppose calling you "Toots" would be too familiar and easily misconstrued ... )
                          I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle
                            OH MY GOSH. That sounds delicious -- and thanks so much for the additional recipe tips along the way -- that's a wonderful way to present a recipe, I find.

Thanks Tutusue!
                            (I suppose calling you "Toots" would be too familiar and easily misconstrued ... )
                            Definitely not too familiar (for me, anyway) but, yes, easily misconstrued!

If you make the recipe please let me know how it turns out. I've altered it a bit (cooking method, not ingredients) to make 6 servings at a time. I freeze the extras, thaw in the fridge for 24 hours and eat cold. When cold it has more of a cake-like, brownie consistency. I first posted the recipe a couple of years ago on a low carb newsgroup and it spread like wildfire! BTW...the DaVinci and Torani sugar free syrups contain Splenda (there's also the sugar version), not sugar alcohols (which play havoc with one's digestive system!). I haven't found DaVinci in Hawaii since Paradise Foods in Kailua closed last year. I buy Torani at Swirl 'cept I don't know where Swirl is now that their section of the Ward complex has been torn down. I'm out of caramel syrup so I need to investigate! Time for dinner! Oh wait...this is a lunch thread. Time for a late lunch!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                              Just cause you can't see it, doesn't mean it ain't happening. I had a co-worker who was slowly getting sicker and sicker, and it took months before they figured out her water-bottle was the source.

Of course, you might have access to much cleaner water than she did. But I'd strongly recommend you give it a mild soapy scrub at least monthly. The growth will often be faster if you leave it in the sunlight, too.
                              Now I'm all grossed out. I think I'll go give my bottle a nice soak in some Clorox.

Comment

I loved the salt and pepper pork chops at Double Eight (before new management and a new cook took over). I have a friend who says he has dreams about those pork chops. I haven't found anywhere that serves them quite the same. Jun Bo's is close, but not quite. Any recommendations for places to get good salt and pepper pork chops?

Comment

Working...
                                X