This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's for lunch - Chapter 6

I have lived in Hawaii for about 13 years. Today I had my first Spam musubi. My very first. It was GREAT. It filled me up and kept me full all day and for most of the evening.

Re: What's for lunch - Chapter 6

Originally posted by helen
    You never used your lighter to heat up the can? In the old days I used a streno stove to do that.
    Helen, I work in a high school. We try to keep things like lighters far away from the kiddies, so I don't keep one on school grounds! Besides, I like them at room temperature. I like them better cold, out of the fridge, but I forgot to put the can in the fridge this morning when I got to school.

In Boy Scouts, we'd start a fire, put a water can over the flame, and everyone would toss their unopened cans right into the water. We did this with C-rations, too.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Hamburger, cheeseburger and a can of Mountain Dew.

Comment

Yesterday - bento and I think a bottle of water.
        Today - couple of cheeseburgers and a bottle of Mountain Dew.

Comment

tamale beans rice

Comment

Caldereta (goat stew). Told my boyfriend it was oxtail, he ate it too...he believed! LOL
            I'm soooo naughty!

Auntie Lynn
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

what part of the goat gets stewed?

and why or how would goat be better or worse that the tail of an ox?

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                what part of the goat gets stewed?

and why or how would goat be better or worse that the tail of an ox?
                To answer your question Kimo, the succulent ribs of the goat. It is stewed to perfection in tomato sauce. Blended with red bell peppers and garbazo beans till the meat is deliciously falling off of the bones. Tender and hmmmmm so tasty as you sucked the meat and juice. Once you eat it, you will never go back to an OX-TAIL!

I hope that answers your question.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

sound purdy yummy, ribs being one o my faves...

Comment

(This occurred earlier this week in Las Vegas, but I couldn't get on a computer conveniently.)

My lunch was leftovers from Harbor Palace Seafood Restaurant, that had supposedly Cantonese food, in Las Vegas. To me, Cantonese food = Kow Yook . . . pork belly.

Found out you can get it, even though it's not on the menu. Man, with some leftover rice and crispy Gau Gee noodles (also not on the menu), leftovers were delicious ! My two ladies (one Filipino from the Philippines and one Japanese from Honolulu) also loved the food.

Kicker: This was in Las Vegas, so dinner (early breakfast?) was at 4 am; the place closes at 5 am. We were tired of oxtail soup at the California Hotel.

Second kicker: All menu selections were in Chinese / English / Tagalog. WTF ?!?!
                    Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

The Saturday special at Mahalo Hawaii BBQ which is BBQ Chicken, Hamburger Steak, rice, mac salad, some chop cabbage and a large cup of Mountain Dew.

Comment

Adult-sat MAMA and her friend at Hifumi Japanese Resturant. Talk about change in food quality. Yukky! The Shrimp Tempura was good. The Pork Sukiyaki presentation and taste very bad. The Sashimi --stringy and sick color pink. Chicken Teriyaki average. Butterfish looked and tasted as if boiled in water shoyu mixture instead of miso...horrible. We are patrons of this establishment since it first opened by it's first owners. They first came here from Kalihi.

Note: the Cultural Plaza is celebrating the Moon Festival. Lot's of festivities going on in the center court!

Update: It's 5:31 pm. I found out that Hifumi's was recently sold two weeks ago. Having been in the resturant business myself, I can not give a thumbs down yet. It would be unfair. I will give it another try in about a month and report to you back or you can go and give it a try and let us know.

It takes time to get adjusted like everything else. I wish them well!

Auntie Lynn
                        Last edited by 1stwahine; September 17, 2005, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Belated congrats on crossing the spam musubi event horizon, MadAzza. My wife's lived here almost as long and has steadfastly refused to consume one.

Our lunch today was a bucket of Zippy's chili (fundraiser ticket purchase, of course) and rice. Tasty and simple.

Comment

Sushi bar where the plates go for a ride past you.... lots did not make it past us, we grabbed them. It was delicious.

Comment

Chicken Ceaser salad, polish sausage and water from Costco.

Comment

Working...
                              X