This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pet Peeve of the Day

One thread about what annoys is enough, me thinks. (Too many annoy me.) I'm officially retiring "What Pisses You Off" and merging the stray here. Carry on... such as things are.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
      You sound young, noble and energized. Not yet slapped down by the world. It's a nice place to be, but you are far from ready to do battle. Hang on to your idealism when you lose your innocence.
      It's called cultural pride. It can never go away. I am blessed with "Mana"...something you will never have and never understand.

Many simple platitudes, yet no solid proposals. I have asked for specific examples of what you, as an individual, plan to do to back up your thoughts, your ideas, your goals and your proposals, yet you have repeatedly failed to do so.
      Are you Kanaka Maoli? Maoni? Maosi? Maori? Maohi?
      Actions are already in place. You know nothing of the struggles of these indigenous people.

Lead by example, by all means - but you need to have some examples to share with us, or no one will follow.
      Who are you? Are you of my people? Do you share my culture?
      Why should I lead you?

My intentions are NOT to save the world...or your world. My intentions are to preserve the indiginous peoples of Sa'moana culture. And I am one of many involved in this preservation.

once again..I said-
      "My view was from the indigenous peoples and cultures around the world who have been raped and oppressed by colonialism and western thinking. But it can be applied in much broader sense.."

What you guys chose to do with the u.s is up to you. I was just giving broad examples that can be applied to any nation.

Originally posted by Hellbent
      this thread is about minor pet peeves. go make another thread about how asians are posers or something
      Hellbent- Reading Comprehension. It doesn't say "minor" pet peeves.

Scrivener-how about plays instead of movies? You bring up some good points about waste by-products. Ethanol burns clean. How bad do you want it? Does Hawai'i need tourism? Or is it the rich developers that need tourism. What do I think can be done about it? I believe in "taking a step back to go forward".
      Last edited by PoiBoy; January 15, 2007, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PoiBoy View Post
        Scrivener-how about plays instead of movies? You bring up some good points about waste by-products. Ethanol burns clean. How bad do you want it? Does Hawai'i need tourism? Or is it the rich developers that need tourism. What do I think can be done about it? I believe in "taking a step back to go forward".
        As a matter of fact, you're talking to a former drama teacher, so of course I love plays, but what I'm asking about is true self-sufficiency. You keep bringing up ethanol, but what are you hoping to use the ethanol in? If you're suggesting that it should be used in vehicles, where will these vehicles be produced? If in an island nation, where would the raw materials for the steel, rubber, and plastic come from? You can't make a car out of basalt, coconut, or sand.

What I'm asking is this: When you say "self-sufficient," do you really mean "self-sufficient?" How large a step backward are you willing to take?
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
          You can't make a car out of basalt, coconut, or sand.
          Didn't the Flintstones have a car made of that?

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
            As a matter of fact, you're talking to a former drama teacher, so of course I love plays, but what I'm asking about is true self-sufficiency. You keep bringing up ethanol, but what are you hoping to use the ethanol in? If you're suggesting that it should be used in vehicles, where will these vehicles be produced? If in an island nation, where would the raw materials for the steel, rubber, and plastic come from? You can't make a car out of basalt, coconut, or sand.
            Horses?

What I'm asking is this: When you say "self-sufficient," do you really mean "self-sufficient?" How large a step backward are you willing to take?[/
            All the way. I've lived in Samoa in an outside fala. I would go spear fishing, pick taro, and climb up a coconut tree. I have no problem with going "primitive". I would prefer it. I also think it's possible to blend the old with the new. I think Samoa is a perfect example.

Comment

Car pet peeves. People who don't use their friggin' turn signals, especially on left turns. Slow drivers who plant themselves into the left lane on the H-1 all the way back in Kalihi because they're getting off at Aiea. No concept of a passing lane here.

Comment

I am blessed with "Mana"...something you will never have and never understand.
                Okay, with just that one sentence you have alienated me -- and probably almost everyone else here -- to a point that everything you write in the future will be subject to intense scorn and derision.
                You joined HT yesterday, yet you presume to know everything about 3,000+ members? You have no idea who you're talking to. Your posturing and posing is pathetic and will bring you detractors, not supporters. Someone else said that you sounded very young, and I hope you are. Being young is the only thing you can use as an excuse for being rude and arrogant.

Actions are already in place. You know nothing of the struggles of these indigenous people.
                Two more inane sentences that justify my tirade above.

Why should I lead you?
                Delusions of grandeur. (Although that diagnosis is an understatement.) Proclaiming yourself a leader does not make you one, silly troll.

I believe in "taking a step back to go forward".
                You should consider taking a step back from your mom's computer until you like, you know, GROW UP.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                  That is exactly -- exactly! -- what I was gonna say!
                  My pet peeve of the day is that you beat me to it.
                  [/high five]

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                    Okay, with just that one sentence you have alienated me -- and probably almost everyone else here -- to a point that everything you write in the future will be subject to intense scorn and derision.
                    You joined HT yesterday, yet you presume to know everything about 3,000+ members? You have no idea who you're talking to. Your posturing and posing is pathetic and will bring you detractors, not supporters. Someone else said that you sounded very young, and I hope you are. Being young is the only thing you can use as an excuse for being rude and arrogant.
                    Do I know you? Was I talking to you? Did I ever make a comment to generalize the whole "ht community"? or you in particular?

He/she made a comment-
                    You sound young, noble and energized. Not yet slapped down by the world. It's a nice place to be, but you are far from ready to do battle. Hang on to your idealism when you lose your innocence.
                    I replyed
                    It's called cultural pride. It can never go away. I am blessed with "Mana"...something you will never have and never understand.

Had he/she understood my passion and cultural pride...and "Mana" that Polynesian peoples have. He would not have made that comment. "Mana" does not escape with age..or adversity. Maybe I misinterpreted what he/she said as an insult. If so...then I apologize to Leo Lakio. Not you ..or anyone else.

I think this goes back to
                    No koko= No Kanaka Maoli

Be proud of who YOU are LikaNui.
                    It's no good to hate over the internet..especially people who you don't even know. Much aloha to you. May you find peace in yourself.
                    Last edited by PoiBoy; January 15, 2007, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Do I know you? Was I talking to you? Did I ever make a comment to generalize the whole "ht community"? or you in particular?
                      You may not be talking to me directly or know me directly but your earlier posts tend to generalize groups....Asians, Filipinos, Whites.....about how they lack cultural identity. And since your posts are not private posts, you can be sure the HT community may see it as you addressing everyone.

And how far back a step do you want to take? Because if you go back far enough, the origins of Samoans can be traced back to Southeast Asia which would make you Asian.

Comment

It's called cultural pride. It can never go away. I am blessed with "Mana"...something you will never have and never understand...
                        Actions are already in place. You know nothing of the struggles of these indigenous people...Who are you? Are you of my people? Do you share my culture? Why should I lead you?
                        And with statements like this, I see that respectful discourse with you has reached a conclusion, based on your assumptions, erroneous or otherwise. I see no leadership skills, only someone easily pushed to anger and insult. Malama pono, a hui hou.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                          You should consider taking a step back from your mom's computer until you like, you know, GROW UP.
                          Telling people what to do again, I see.

Amazing how you get all riled up when others do it, but it's okay for you to get pissy and run your mouth.

Comment

I'm pretty sure PoiBoy is a troll.
                            Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                              I think Gilliagans Island had a bike like that.
                              Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

My pet peeve is having direct deposit, but somehow always getting paid a day after those in my office that don't have DD get paid. Grrr.
                                Don't be mean,
                                try to help.

Comment

Working...
                                X