Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Francis hospitals to close

SB breaking news
    Hawaii Medical Center has decided not to sell the former St. Francis hospitals in Liliha and Ewa and will immediately wind down operations.
    The hospitals, which employ 990 workers, will close in about three weeks, HMC said.
    So, there go the hospitals. Isn't St. Francis Liliha the only transplant hospital in the state? (Does Kaiser do transplants?)
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Re: St. Francis hospitals to close

Ouch, that's bad news. My wife needs a cornea transplant. (also bad news for others, but that's my personal "ack!")

Comment

It's true. St. Francis is the only organ transplant center in the Pacific. I didn't know that until today. St. Francis also provides dialysis services to a large number of patients, and operates a hospice facility with outreach services. Even if you're not a St. Francis patient/customer, this is probably going to have some effect on health care service for everyone in Hawaii. Not to mention 900 more unemployed (though I think most will get a job somewhere).

Comment

It's too bad it has had to come to this. The closing of one hospital that housed a vital organ transplant center. And the shutdown of another that served the medical needs of West Oahu.

There has been a lot of fingerpointing between the physician-owned Hawaii Medical Center and the sisters of St. Francis. Yes, the dispute was business in nature. Yes, St. Francis is entitled to being paid back the money they are owed. But considering that the closure of the hospitals will affect the lives and welfare of so many people in Hawaii,.... can all parties involved really look at themselves in the mirror at the end of the day and say they've done all they could to avert this disaster?

I wonder.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I haven't read the article yet but was there any mention about the status of the doctors' office buildings or the services within those buildings that are on the grounds of St. Francis hospital (at least the one in Liliha which has at least two such buildings beside the hospital itself)?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
            can all parties involved really look at themselves in the mirror at the end of the day and say they've done all they could to avert this disaster?
            I'm not sure of the details, but I suspect that it was a case of being unwilling to sacrifice the leg to save the patient. Being physician owned, I wonder if that made it that much harder. It would be like giving the leg to be amputated voting rights.

It will be interesting to see what the Dept of Health does. But I'm not sure what tools they have.

Hopefully someone will buy up the assets and re-open. I just worry the assets will be shipped out of Hawaii.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
              The closing of one hospital that housed a vital organ transplant center.
              St. Francis is the ONLY vital organ transplant center in Hawaii. If that goes away, then the only way you could get a transplant is to move to the mainland. (You have to be close to the facility when an organ becomes available.)

Queen's Medical Center wants to take over that responsibility, but it needs Federal approval to make that possible. This, according to a story in Pacific Business News yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                St. Francis is the ONLY vital organ transplant center in Hawaii. If that goes away, then the only way you could get a transplant is to move to the mainland. (You have to be close to the facility when an organ becomes available.)

Queen's Medical Center wants to take over that responsibility, but it needs Federal approval to make that possible. This, according to a story in Pacific Business News yesterday.
                Yes, the article quotes Queens, and it sounds like they are ready to take on the transplant services.
                Queen’s President and CEO Art Ushijima told PBN this week that the HMC situation heavily affects the future of the health-care sector and said HMC’s organ transplant program is a unique community asset that needs to be maintained.
                “We’re monitoring [it] and we’re willing to step in if they choose to give it up or whatever the outcome will be,” Ushijima said. “We’re preparing to preserve the organ transplant program because it’s important. Obviously, it’s not our decision to take that on, so we have to see what happens.”

Comment

HMC closed both emergency rooms this morning. Ambulances are parked at each one, redirecting patients to other hospitals.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                    HMC closed both emergency rooms this morning. Ambulances are parked at each one, redirecting patients to other hospitals.
                    Now, most other hospital ER's are reporting they're overly full and are turning away walk-in patients and only taking extreme emergencies.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Saint Francis Hospital has been a real work horse and well respected to boot, in the transplant arena here in Honolulu.
                      If at all possible I hope we keep these high level professionals here in Hawai'i. Please make it so for those who need it!
                      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Good news for Hawaii! The StarBulletin reports that Queen's is seeking to pick up the transplant program:

The Queen's Medical Center announced today that it has applied to create an organ transplant program in the wake of Hawaii Medical Center's announcement that it is shutting down its two hospitals.
                        The application process could take several months and Queen's will still need to build out space, hire staff and purchase equipment for an organ transplant facility. Queen's said it is requesting an expedited review and approval of its application to minimize the potential of any patients having to go to the mainland.

Comment

Working...
                        X