New Establishments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Establishments

Pz, the link goes to Pacific Business News.

I'll go check the place out.

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Here ya go, Auntie!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        Here ya go, Auntie!
        Mahalo TutuSue!

They have a great idea for the working folks. Hmmm...if I had a place, I probably do something similar but with my kind of Homestyle KauKau. Ready to eat, affordable and onolicious.

Just a thought...foa now.heheheh

Auntie Lynn
        Last edited by 1stwahine; July 10, 2007, 04:31 PM.

Comment

I have photos, but not where I am right now, so later.

Leashlaw's write-up is great, especially the description of the interior, but I disagree with a few things, and here's why.

It looks like the signature draw is going to be what Leashlaw described above but did not order: at least four catches of the day and four options for preparation. You choose your fish, you choose your preparation, and you plunk down your 12 to 16 dollars. For my fish, I ordered the ahi, and for the preparation, I went with the saute, which was in a wine-butter sauce. The portion was reasonable for the price (two medium-sized cuts of ahi). It came with rice (brown rice not an option) and cole slaw. I found the cole slaw to be positively yummy. The cabbage was shredded roughly (not pulverized like at KFC), but the carrots were grated finely. I can't explain why, but this is exactly the way I always wished cole slaw was made. I want big, crunchy strips of cabbage and tiny flecks of carrot, and that's what I got. For the first time in my life!

The fish was delicious; about what you can usually expect of the catch-of-the-day at Nico's. I do not like fish very much, but I love Nico's because of how fresh everything is. So for quality of fish, I'll call it a draw. You pay a little more for what you get at Uncle's, but you also get more fish. My total, with a soft drink from the soda fountain, was $16.02.

I do think Nico's will suffer a slight loss in business. If I were a tourist looking for a memorable dining experience, I'd have looked at both places and chosen Uncle's. This is assuming I didn't read any of the reviews, and I seldom do. $15 for lunch is about what I expect to pay anyway, and I want to sit down with friends somewhere cool and nice, and the interior of Uncle's is very, very inviting. As a devoted (two or three times per week) fan of Nico's, this is totally fine with me!

I flirted (I mean, I spoke) with the cutie who rung my bell (I mean, rung up my order) and she said they were still playing around with business hours. If Uncle's stays open past 6 (currently, I think they're open until 8), it will occasionally get my business where Nico's wouldn't, just because I often eat late.

The food was good. I liked the atmosphere. The service was decent. I'll definitely go there again when Nico's is closed.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post

Speaking of new establishments, here in the building where I work, "Licious Dishes" is in its first month of operation. It's not a restaurant, but one of those places where you pick up a batch of means for the week, then take them home. The twist being, the emphasis on vegan dishes. Raw, organic vegan dishes. Not everyone's taste, I imagine, but for the time-crunched health conscious (or those on newly restricted diets due to health issues), it may be a good choice!
            remember the waffle place in manoa (where boston's pizza is now located)? they had a similar thing but sadly are no longer there. maybe that part of the business (prepared meals) is still going on somewhere...
            525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

New health center opening at old KC Drive Inn site

Thank goodness it's THAT, and not one more of those darned storage facilities, which is what it looked like it was going to be while under construction. Dayton Asato told me a doctor purchased the land from them, which makes sense for him to turn into a medical center.

Just a few blocks makai on Kapahulu, the new Safeway Center is making progress. The main structures are completed. It's gonna' be HUGE. I can't wait for it to open. Of all the supermarkets, Safeway is my favorite for fresh deli and bakery items.
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Also, across Aala Park. Another Medical Building will be built! That huge area fronting Beretania, College Walk and Aala Street.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

This website,Urban Planet, shows the sketches of some of the aforementioned construction: http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/lo...hp/t27055.html

Comment

Have any of you tried the new sit-down restaurant in Aiea Bowl? I think it's called The Alley, and my friends have been hearing some good buzz about it for a couple of months or so.

We checked it out last night. The "tasty chicken" keeps coming up in conversation, so my friends and I all ordered that. The dinner plates offer a two-selection mixed plate (prices vary depending on the selections). One friend ordered just the tasty chicken; another ordered the tasty chicken with garlic shrimp; I had the tasty chicken with furikake ahi.

All our plates came with a choice or rice (white or brown) or mac salad, plus tossed salad. The tossed greens were quite good; I was really impressed with the tangy-spicy dressing.

The tasty chicken is very similar to Mitsuken's garlic chicken, deep-fried with a sweet garlic sauce. It was good, but I'm glad I didn't order a whole plate of it. The furikake ahi was similar to the dish with the same name at Nico's. I paid nine bucks for this plate, which I consider a very good deal. I didn't try my friend's shrimp, but they looked really, really good.

The desserts are supposed to be very good, too, but my friend's first choice was not still available (something very chocolatey), so she had the lemon crunch something something cake. It was okay.

The friend who ordered the shrimp and dessert also ordered a side of fries, and they were quite good. Better than your standard dish of fries.

Looks like there's a walk-up take-out, but I didn't take the time to compare offerings or prices.

The new restaurant at Aiea Bowl is definitely worth a try.
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

So we checked out the Varsity (old Magoo's) last Friday and I managed to take a shot or two, and they were of the two most important parts of the bar -- the beer and the bathroom:

Such an improvement. Yes, that's paper towels and vanity mirrors you see. Nick, an employee that looks like he could be Elvis' Costello's son, checked the bathroom every hour to make sure everything was stocked up and the sink counters wiped down.

I paid $7 for my pitcher of Killian's Irish Red, but I'm not sure if the price is the same across the boards. I want to say that it's not $5 anymore, but that's quite alright with me. You can't tell from this photo, but the bar countertops are real countertops and not a piece of wood with multiple coats of paint. The hundreds of tables and chairs in the place are all brand new and not second-hand.

We didn't order anything to eat, but there was an Indian Curry counter on the premises. There are other things to eat, but I'm not sure what else is there. I'll keep an eye out next time. The wall that separated the kitchen from the rest of the bar at the old Magoo's has been knocked down, making more room for more tables and chairs and people.

All in all, the place looks more inviting and not so intimidating. I can't wait to go back next weekend.
                      Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                      We're not here to mess around
                      Boston, you know we love you madly
                      Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                      Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                      You know we couldn't live without you
                      Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                        So we checked out the Varsity (old Magoo's) last Friday

All in all, the place looks more inviting and not so intimidating. I can't wait to go back next weekend.
                        That's alot of draft taps. Brings to mind the Yard House on Waikiki's Beach Walk. How many do they have there? Yard House has over 100. It's a "beer-meets-science" art.
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                          That's alot of draft taps. Brings to mind the Yard House on Waikiki's Beach Walk. How many do they have there? Yard House has over 100. It's a "beer-meets-science" art.
                          I tried counting the beer on the beer menu, but I never got to finish counting. I doubt they have as many as the Yard House, but that's okay because I hate that place with a passion.

I don't know if certain beers were added/taken out in the changeover, but according to one of the bartenders, they'll be doing a better job of replenishing the beer after it runs out. Credit the new management I don't know...but one thing I hated about Magoo's was seeing that list of 86'ed beers for that night.
                          Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                          We're not here to mess around
                          Boston, you know we love you madly
                          Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                          Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                          You know we couldn't live without you
                          Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                            magoo's had 120 taps, according to my much younger high school-mate, the barfly.

lei liko, a thousand thanks for going to varsity and reporting back! like the ocean club, magoo's is somewhere you and i went (not together, tho we might have been there at the same time, unwittingly) with HUGE sentimental value. while i'm glad for the gorgeous bathrooms at varsity, i have to admit i have this irrational fondness for the grunginess of the ladies' restroom at magoo's. maybe that's bcs everytime i went in there, i was pleasantly full of great pizza and tipsy with beer. anyway, based on your comments, eric and i will be asking some friends to join us there this coming friday.
                            superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

From the Disappearing Establishments thread...

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos View Post
                              To replace the TGI Friday's location in Waikiki: some kind of Hawaiian steakhouse (formerly Buzz's Steakhouse)
                              So the other day I snapped a photo of the place...

Vit's Hawaiian Steak House - Formerly Buzz's Steak & Lobster

It looks like that might say "Wit's", but it's "Vit's", under the owner's name, Vit Udom.

Upon further research, come to find out this was the former Buzz's Steak & Lobster on Saratoga Rd. where the new Trump Tower is under construction. These folks aren't affiliated with the Buzz's Steakhouse near Lanikai in Kailua and in Pearl City.

This is located on the ground floor of the Maile Sky Court Hotel on Kuhio Ave. in Waikiki (Ewa end).

If you look inside, it appears they retained the Stained Glass Chandeliers from TGI Friday's. On the outside, they replaced TGI's red and white striped awning with a thatched bamboo material for a more tropical look.

Anyone know what's happening with the TGI Friday's vacancy near the Blaisdell Center on King and Ward? Anything happening there yet? (that's off my beaten path)
                              Last edited by Pomai; October 4, 2007, 11:53 AM. Reason: Vit's
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Sighted today, another "new" place coming soon...

PANDA EXPRESS will replace the former Wolfgang Puck Express at the front of Ward Entertainment Center, next door to Big City Diner.

To note, Wolfgang Puck Express (under same ownership) still operates the location in the Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel (near the wall).
                                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                                X