Disappearing eating establishments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Disappearing establishments

I actually shed a tear when they took the ANDY'S DRIVE IN sign down! I remember late nights, sneekin' out checkin' out the old cars on Sunday nights...huuuh, those where the days!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
      The other day I just discovered that the entire building (across Genki Sushi) where Subway, Regal Diner, Love's Discount Outlet, the post office and Diamond Head Video were tenants is now vacant.
      The plate lunch spot was JJ Diner. I hope they reopen soon.

Comment

It's been a while since driving up Kapahulu ave.. The other day I just discovered that the entire building (across Genki Sushi) where Subway, Regal Diner
        Regal Diner is located on the Ewa end of the McCully Shopping Center. Eh tutusue, remember Gino? He was the one who turned me on to Regal Diner a few years back. Although the place is kind of small, the food there is very tasty with generous portions served.

Comment

Washington Saimin... cheap and good saimin

Comment

Originally posted by ceny2222
            We ate their grilled pork chops ($1.00) during our college days for a midnight snack.

Comment

It's been a while since driving up Kapahulu ave.. The other day I just discovered that the entire building (across Genki Sushi) where Subway, Regal Diner, Love's Discount Outlet, the post office and Diamond Head Video were tenants is now vacant.
              No kidding!?!! I gotta go check this out. I didn’t even hear about it (was it just the Bulletin that covered it?)

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
              USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by ceny2222

Ever since they moved from their original hole in the wall to the larger crevice in the wall, their saimin never seemed to taste as good. Maybe it was those old wooden seats and the fact that you had to wait outside on the sidewalk until one of the few booths opened up that made their saimin taste so ono.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Forty-Niner's in Aiea will close after lunch on Monday Oct. 30. I heard a rumor that the people who run the cafe at the Bishop Museum have purchased the recipe for Forty-Niner's famous saimin and hamburger. I don't know if they're taking over the building or just buying the recipes.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                    No kidding!?!! I gotta go check this out. I didn’t even hear about it (was it just the Bulletin that covered it?)
                    I saw that when I went to Genki's last week. Is that the site of the new Super Safeway?
                    Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

• Re: Disappearing establishments

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
                      I saw that when I went to Genki's last week. Is that the site of the new Super Safeway?
                      Yes sir.

as previously linked above: http://starbulletin.com/2006/07/28/b...s/story01.html
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

This is just rumor so far, but inside sources have hinted the former Jack-in-the-Box property in Waikiki on the corner of Kalakaua and McCully (just across 7-11) may be the new home to a 400+ seat ROY's Restaurant, rebuilt from the ground, up.

Also, in today's news...

Kyo-Ya Eatery (Waikiki) to Close Next Year
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Landmark Chinese spot, McCully Chop Sui, will close at the end of the year. I can't believe Kyo-ya is closing.
                          Last edited by glossyp; November 7, 2006, 11:03 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
                            Landmark Chinese spot, McCully Chop Sui, will close at the end of the year. I can't believe Kyo-ya is closing.
                            Yep, I'm going to miss Kyo-ya. The best was the mother's day all you can eat buffet. My favorite was the miso butterfish. Luckily, they published the recipie on tv once and I've been there only once since.

As for Roy's opening up a huge Waikiki restaurant, it'll be in the new Waikiki Beachwalk.

http://www.waikikibeachwalk.com/play.aspx

Comment

by the way, went to Kyo Ya tonight for the miso butterfish. The waiter told me they close at the end of March but they expect to be booked for the entire month so don't wait if you want to go one last time.

I'll miss this place.

Comment

• Yummy Roy’s for my tummy!

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                                This is just rumor so far, but inside sources have hinted the former Jack-in-the-Box property in Waikiki on the corner of Kalakaua and McCully (just across 7-11) may be the new home to a 400+ seat ROY's Restaurant, rebuilt from the ground, up.
                                If it’s true, that would be great news! Good for him. I thought Yamaguchi was concentrating his expansion on the neighbor islands and the mainland.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                                USA TODAY, page 2A
                                11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                                X