Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Ramen on Oahu

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
    anyway, yes, da "buggahs are all around," but all sanoya did when eric's friend complained he had a roach in his soup was give him a blank stare and say, "oh." are you saying that's acceptable?
    Ewwwwwl. Hell no. Of course not.

I would have whack whack da SOB!

Peace out.

Love and ALOHA,

Auntie Lynn

Btw: Brian, Head Security of Shirokiya called me back and apologized.
    Last edited by 1stwahine; March 30, 2008, 01:13 PM.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

thanks for the clarification, leo! how was tenkaippin?
      Extremely tasty, I felt - so if they are using the same soup base in Honolulu, that's a plus. I am not a ramen expert, however, but the AF (who lived in Kyoto for a year, long ago) ranked it quite highly. The only bowl that I felt was better was in a tiny shop in Ebisu, where we had a fascinating conversation with the ramen master (who sent us home with several packets of his own soup base, once he learned of the dearth of good shops back home).

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
        Extremely tasty, I felt - so if they are using the same soup base in Honolulu, that's a plus. I am not a ramen expert, however, but the AF (who lived in Kyoto for a year, long ago) ranked it quite highly. The only bowl that I felt was better was in a tiny shop in Ebisu, where we had a fascinating conversation with the ramen master (who sent us home with several packets of his own soup base, once he learned of the dearth of good shops back home).
        curiousity killed this cat, i suppose. i talked eric into going to tenkaippin tonight. we got there a half hour before closing and they had run out of gyoza (bummer) but we did get to try the kotteri ramen, which is their signature item. it's a very intense, collagen-y chicken broth (nadine kam describes it here), which is quite different from anything we've tried before. eric said the broth reminded him of his grandma's chicken hekka, which she would simmer for hours.

i really wish they had the gyoza bcs i would have doused it with some rice vinegar, which would have been a nice counterpoint to cut the taste of the broth every now and again. or a diet sprite would have sufficed. the noodles were good there, too. the char siu in the bowl was thin-sliced and tender and lovely in its porkiness.

our verdict tho is that it's a good bit behind kyoto ramen and taishoken, our top ramen favorites in town. those of you who have had the miso ramen at taishoken, the koterri broth has about the same consistency. the koterri broth is tasty but maybe a little too intense for us esp if there is no vinegary or citrus foil vioa gyoza w/vinegar on it or a citrusy drink to cut through every now and again. on our way back to the car, we had to eat a listerine strip bcs our mouths still had the soup flavor in them and frankly, our tongues were fatigued of it. but for $20 (including tax & tip), not bad at all--quite enjoyable. i think if i were sick with a head cold i might develop a craving to roll down the hill to kapahulu and eat there again sometime later this year.

if you really like ramen, are willing to pay more $$ for it, and want to try something different then tenkaippin is a must. keep in mind parking is limited--it's in the same complex as starbucks and jamba across jack in the box on kapahulu/maunaloa ave. since we went tonight (sunday) at about 9:30, the lot was half empty.

pics attached. first pic is of eric's bowl, which, iirc, had three more slices of char siu than mine. second pic is close up of my bowl. sorry the pics are really yellow--they were taken w/my cell phone. plus the walls in the restaurant are painted butter yellow.
        Attached Files
        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

plus the walls in the restaurant are painted butter yellow.
          That's the same as in Japan, too.

Comment

just came back from NIHON NOODLES. the wait help wasn't that great; the owner was nice; the decor?! wassup wit dat? okay, but the food was good. two of us ate the curry noodles. wish there were more veggies on it. now i know why you need to order extra toppings. the pork was good and the gyoza was tasty. the chicken teriyaki was a little salty, but mom ate every morsel. stopped by bunmeido to get her dessert which she devoured (apple turnover). would i return? yes.
            "chaos reigns within.
            reflect, repent and reboot.
            order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
              I like Taishōken on Keʻeaumoku Street.
              We went to Taishoken but it was too early so we went to Taiyo Ramen.

Auntie Lynn
              Attached Files

Comment

This is shaping up to be a popular thread!

I've already visited a few locations that you have suggested, and will visit a handful more before I publish my "Best Ramen on Oahu" article!

Thanks again for all your input!
                Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Comment

Indeed! I look forward to trying some these 'high end' ramen shops.
                  May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

I don't know if anyone mentioned this place, but there's a little ramen shop downstairs at the Waikiki Town Center, sort of across from the Subway shop. I think that is about the best I have found so far in Honolulu. Anyone else tried that one? I just can't think of the name of the place.

Aloha!

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                      We went to Taishoken but it was too early so we went to Taiyo Ramen.

Auntie Lynn
                      oooh. could you please give me some recommendations? Are those clams or mussels on that plate? Kim chee? That place is next door to the place i always get my beloved Soondooboo (another thread??? ) at Chodang.

I too like ichi ryu on Pensacola/King. Love the couple that run it. He never says much, but when it's slow, he'll sit down and watch tv. I love the informal sitting around in the half moon shape seating area. I always get the Ramen with the won tons and some gyoza.
                      n'importe

Comment

Kakura,

heheheh

I could have easily gone to ichiryu but I didn't cause I only eat Oyako Donburi, Gozoya, Miso Soup and Kim Chee. Should have, could have, but didn't.

Anyways, dat is gozoya, clams and kim chee.

As you can see, wuz onolicious by the way Antonio wen eat um.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Lunch at Goma Ichi w Beau & Antonio.

The Tan Tan broth is heavenly. Made with ground sesame seed and used for the broth. We also ordered the house gozoya and cold chicken breast over sliced julienne cucumbers in a delicate sesame peanutty suace. Mmmmm so onolicious!

I forgot what my Ramen was called but had 1/2 boiled egg inside dat was soaked in shoyu sauce and had a taste of it's own. Wakame (seaweed), vegetables, mushroom, and ramen.

Sun Noodles are used.

Located on Keeaumoku St. next to Walgreens.

Auntie Lynn
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                            Lunch at Goma Ichi w Beau & Antonio.

The Tan Tan broth is heavenly. Made with ground sesame seed and used for the broth. We also ordered the house gozoya and cold chicken breast over sliced julienne cucumbers in a delicate sesame peanutty suace. Mmmmm so onolicious!

I forgot what my Ramen was called but had 1/2 boiled egg inside dat was soaked in shoyu sauce and had a taste of it's own. Wakame (seaweed), vegetables, mushroom, and ramen.

Auntie Lynn
                            Thanks again Auntie Lynn for treating me to a delicious lunch, but more than that, thanks for being such a good and supportive friend!!

P.S. You ordered the Wakame Tan Tan Men with Cha Shu and vegetables.

Comment

You know after making that soup tonight I think I'll test my soup broth abilities and attempt a ramen broth.

Now what would go into making a basic stock? I would think it would start with a nice deep cold water fish like saba and possibly pan frying it to bring out the oils in the meat then par boiling it to make the essential stock and adding the oils back to strengthen the base. After that I guess I would add a selection of light green leafy vegetables, shitake mushroom and simmer for a crapload of time then strain the whole thing and add egg white to give it texture for an egg drop soup consistancy.

Rock salt, ginger and lemon, add some mirin and throw in the noodles and garnish with roast pork, sprigs of lemon grass and green onions.
                              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                                Maybe not the best Raman shiru but I'm surprised no one mentioned a long time and old one at that: Shiro's Saimin in Aiea.
                                I love this place! I grew up in Pearl City and would eat at Shiro's every chance I got. Even when I visit annually, I always eat at Shiro's! My haole husband loves Ramen!! The haole couple we are bringing over this fall loves Ramen too and we plan to make several visits to Shiro's while in Hawaii.

Lovena
                                Lovena

Comment

Working...
                                X