Brown rice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brown rice

I feel like I should know this, but I don't.

When you cook brown rice in a regular rice cooker, do you have to do anything different? The cookbooks talk about soaking it longer and cooking it longer than white rice, but my fancy high-tech Aroma rice cooker doesn't have any buttons or dials to change the settings. If I just put it in and hit "cook", will it turn out OK?

Re: Brown rice

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
    I feel like I should know this, but I don't.

When you cook brown rice in a regular rice cooker, do you have to do anything different? The cookbooks talk about soaking it longer and cooking it longer than white rice, but my fancy high-tech Aroma rice cooker doesn't have any buttons or dials to change the settings. If I just put it in and hit "cook", will it turn out OK?
    I tink da rice going come out OK. Dakine high priced cooker you get get dakine sensor insai and can detect when no moa anymoa steam and den going turn itself off. Soaking da rice for little while probably wouldn't hurt. I usually use 50% brown and 50% white with da same water measurements and da ting come out perfect.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Tanks eh! I go try 'em tonight den.

Comment

gotta use little bit more water so when you use the finger method, keep the water going untilllllll yeahhhhhhh okay just past the crease in da finger maybe 1/8-inch more.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Soak the brown rice for about 30 minutes (just let it sit in the cooker before turning it on) and add a bit more water as suggested above. Should be fine.

Comment

This is completely out of the subject, but I just wanted to say that,
            everyone here in Hawaii Thread, is so awsome!.
            Willing to help out another fellow discusion board member, here.

You all guys/gals are great & awsome.

Aloha & Take care.
            Aches & Pains
            (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

Everyone has the right suggestions for the cooking of the brown rice. It takes trial and error sometimes...at times my rice came out like jook (Chinese porridge). Now I have it down pat! And to you Serenity...your signature says it all!
              Retired Senior Member

Comment

Originally posted by Mocha
                Serenity...your signature says it all!
                Awww. Thank you. That means alot to me.

I try to be "tranquil" & share it with everyone.

Now, for the "local version" :

Eh!, No Stress, k ?.
                Aches & Pains
                (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

ahh i add just a tad more water and it's perfect!

Comment

Shoots, one of the downsides to having a high-capacity high-tech rice cooker is that the thing holds enough rice for several meals, and keeps it warm so you don't have to cook a new batch every day - which is usually a good thing, but not when it's full of white rice and you want to try out the brown rice suggestions that you got off of HawaiiThreads! I guess I have to wait till we finish all the white rice in the pot first. Thanks everybody for all your comments.

Comment

Don't forget to tell us if the rice came out okay in the fancy rice cooker!
                      Retired Senior Member

Comment

Cook it with a chunk or two of butter, and it'll be even better

Comment

Almost forgot about this one. The brown rice turned out great! I put in a skosh more water than I would have with white rice, and when it was done it was tender and 'ono. Thanks again for everybody's suggestions.

hikiee: Butter?! Bite your tongue. I get all uji when I hear about people putting any kine stuff into their rice cookers -- it's like they're messing with the sacred purity of the rice. Nothing goes in my rice cooker except rice!

Comment

Glen, you really dont' mix anything into your rice? It is good with butter though. It enhances the rice. If you even mix in a little bit of lemon, honey, sesame oil and chinese soy sauce right before eating. It's great!

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                              Nothing goes in my rice cooker except rice!
                              Guess I shouldn't tell you about my coworker, who can cook a whole meal in his rice cooker, along with the rice. His "seasoned salmon and mixed vegetables" rice combination is especially intriguing...

As for brown rice, we haven't made the jump yet, but plan to. We have one of those fancy 10-cup "fuzzy logic" Japanese rice cookers with a brain probably bigger than mine... at least when it comes to rice! It has different lines inside for everything, from white and brown rice to porridge and mochi and even slow-cooker recipes. FWIW, the brown rice lines are a bit higher for all quantities than the white rice lines.

Comment

Working...
                              X