Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Apple Announcements

Originally posted by Beachboy
    only the one's smart enough to know the difference.
    Not another Mac vs. PC war, please.

PC users aren't stupid and Mac users aren't elitist punks, though I'm sure there's a fair population of both groups in both camps. It is possible to discuss the appeal Apple machines without making enemies of non-Apple users (though it's about as irresistable to some as baiting folks the other way 'round, obviously).

I have fun on my Mac, but earn a living on my PC. I'm glad both are there. This thread was simply started just to discuss the latest Apple news, and to be sure there are already more than a few other Windows-specific discussions for Windows fans.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
      Not another Mac vs. PC war, please.

PC users aren't stupid and Mac users aren't elitist punks, though I'm sure there's a fair population of both groups in both camps. It is possible to discuss the appeal Apple machines without making enemies of non-Apple users (though it's about as irresistable to some as baiting folks the other way 'round, obviously).

I have fun on my Mac, but earn a living on my PC. I'm glad both are there. This thread was simply started just to discuss the latest Apple news, and to be sure there are already more than a few other Windows-specific discussions for Windows fans.
      who said anything about OS war? The prejuidice against Macs drives me crazy! Just the other day I heard yet another lame comment about Macs..."there is not enough software" Or "there isn't enough good games running Mac OS", etc,etc,...

Comment

Originally posted by Bard
        I know, I just bought an iMac yesterday and I'm waiting for them to announce next week that a new merom/conroe based one is to be released at the same price, or something. I'll bring out my KHAAAN!! at that time.

The way I try to look at it, if you were content to pay what they were asking for what they offered before, there shouldn't be a problem, right? They're just trying to maximize their profits by following economics: charge what people are willing to pay (or a little more).
        It's always smart to wait till after Macworld or the WWWC to buy Apple hardware. Steve Jobs annually unveils something new from Apple during these two events.

Comment

who said anything about OS war? The prejuidice against Macs drives me crazy! Just the other day I heard yet another lame comment about Macs..."there is not enough software" Or "there isn't enough good games running Mac OS", etc,etc,...
          Well all one has to do is to look at the Mac Display at CompUSA and then walk all the way over to the Ewa end and see the racks and racks of PC stuff.

Very limited variety for Macs and then there's the accessories! A friend bought a Mac Laptop and needed the laptop cooler. The white Apple one cost twice as much as the same black PC one sold in CompUSA. Wassup wit dat? He ended up buying the black one for half the cost.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

It's always smart to wait till after Macworld or the WWWC to buy Apple hardware. Steve Jobs annually unveils something new from Apple during these two events.
            Well, during the his keynote anyway. No updates for the things I was interested in anyway, and I don't want to wait until Macworld (would make it somewhat pointless to get what I got )

'Course as soon as I say that he's going to have a last minute announcement of new iMacs...

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
              Well all one has to do is to look at the Mac Display at CompUSA and then walk all the way over to the Ewa end and see the racks and racks of PC stuff.
              chumpUSA is hardly a Mac Advocate! Years ago billed as a store within a store Apple put in the corner of the far backside of store? Plus, they are very limited on Mac software there too. Apple should drop their agreement with ChumpUSA if you ask me. The people working there aren't trying to even sell a Mac to you! They try to persude you into buying a PC instead???

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
              Very limited variety for Macs and then there's the accessories! A friend bought a Mac Laptop and needed the laptop cooler. The white Apple one cost twice as much as the same black PC one sold in CompUSA. Wassup wit dat? He ended up buying the black one for half the cost.
              very limited variety???? Are you talking about Hardware? I think Apple's lineup of their hardware is just right!

Laptops (2)

1.) MacBook Pro
              2.) MacBook

Desktops (3)

1.) Mac Mini
              2.) iMac
              3.) Mac Pro Tower

I guess I could go on about their iPod lineup, and their monitors too, but what's the sense? Bias towards Macs have been forever it seems.

As for it's software goes, anything good on a PC , is almost always ported over to the Mac. Yeah, it appears that there is about 5 times to software on the PC side as to the Mac side. But look at some of those titles on the PC side!

Comment

Ooh, new iMacs! Starting at $999. I love our iMac G5 (PPC) and it's pretty sweet with 2GB of RAM... but now that I'm using a MacBook with the Intel chip, I imagine just how slick these new all-in-one desktops must be. And the form factor remains just beautiful. A pleasure to have on one's desk, even when off! They seem to have updated the Mac mini, too, putting the Core Duo in the entry-level $599 machine.

Of course, most folks are excited about a mysterious Sept. 12 media event, dubbed "Showtime." Rumors are swirling, from a movie download service to the oft-predicted widescreen video iPod. The fact that Apple updated its product line this week, without fanfare, makes next week's announcements even more tantalizing!

Comment

Yeah, my month-old Intel iMac with Core 1 Duo is feeling a little inadequate right about now. But the big differences in the bumped lineup are the Core 2 processor with about a 1.5x speed boost (will probably be 2x for Leopard, with the 64-bit stuff), and 1G of ram by default for the 17" and up. They also added a 24" iMac. I still feel like I got a pretty good deal when I got mine so I have no regrets about it.

Comment

I've got my finger on the trigger for getting our nephew who lives with us a Nano. But the rumored Nano update to a metal case and more memory has me waiting until the 12th.

With all the new hardware coming out I could feel like my G4 Powerbook is sooooooo 2005 but nah...it works fine.

But the touch screen ipod with say 80g of memory...drool,,,,,,

Comment

Introducing MacPro

Here you go, Mel: Your new avatar!

aaaaand resized for HT's 70 x 70 maximum:

Last edited by scrivener; September 6, 2006, 09:47 PM.
                      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Re: Introducing MacPro

It must be a real slow day here at Apple land... or Hawaii Threads... first the game was late.. and then I see a new game... and now I get a new Avatar... well this is certainly a surprise... and well I might as well use it for now until it becomes obsolete with an even faster macpro duo core... Actually I am kind of thinking of actually getting one of these beasts.... something about running a computer with 4 different operating systems on 4 different hard drives appeals to me... and I always liked towers... and being a Mac guy who likes towers, we don't get too many choices to choose from now don't we?

Mahalo.. I guess it was time to get rid of the red sun.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Re: Introducing MacPro

Originally posted by mel
                          I guess it was time to get rid of the red sun.
                          What was that, anyway? It looked to me like some kind of unholy beast from hell, ready to unleash its wrath on the masses.
                          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

The "It's Showtime" event, as expected, led to crashed tech news servers and overloaded Apple blogs. I had six tabs open to various "live" coverage sites but only two at a time, at most, were actually reachable. But here's the quick-and-dirty rundown of what was announced.

Updated 5G iPods: 30GB for $249, 80GB for $349. Featuring 60% brighter screens with brighness control, 3.5 to 6.5 hours (for 80GB) video playback, up from 2 hours, new headphones, gapless playback, and games (Tetris, Bejewled, Mahjong, Pac Man, Texas Hold Em) for $4.99.

Updated iPod Nano: New, thinner, aluminum body, 24 hour battery life, new charger, armband, and headphones. 2GB (silver only) for $149, 4GB for $199 (green, silver, blue, pink), 8GB for $249 (black).

Updated iPod Shuffle: Metal body, very small ("world's smallest" is the claim), 12-hour battery life. 1GB for $79.

Updated iTunes & iTunes Store (no longer iTunes Music Store): iTunes Version 7 out now. Redesign includes separate libraries for all forms of media, devices, and playlists, a new view to browse by cover art (very slick!), and free cover art for your library. Technology improvements include syncing between multiple computers, TV show resolution boosted to 640x480 H.264 (from 320x240), cleaner iPod management and integrated iPod updaters (instead of a separate app). iTunes now the #5 retailer of music, including brick-and-morter. As for TV shows, after stargint last year with one network and five shows, iTMS now sells 220 shows from over 40 networks. Now adding the NFL Network.

Movies: Adding movies to the iTunes Store. Films from Disney, Pixar, Touchstone, Miramax (all Disney). 75 films available now. New releases $12.99 preorder, $14.99 released (same day as DVD), the rest $9.99. Also encoded at 640x480 H.264, including Dolby surround audio, and you can watch as it downloads (30 minutes for the average film over broadband).

Wireless TV Box: Ah, the famous, "One last thing..." Coming in the first quarter of next year, an easy way to see your iTunes/iPod video content on your television, wirelessly. It looks like a flattened Mac mini, and has USB, Ethernet, and 802.11 wireless connectivity, and component video, optical audio, and HDMI ports (so HD capable). Runs a beefed-up, Front Row-like interface, and of course works with the Apple Remote. Still needs a name, but called iTV for now. $299.

The upgrades across the iPod line are nice (in some cases doubling capacity for the same price, and the form factor changes are also cool), but no full-/wide-screen video iPod just yet. The iTunes/iTunes Store upgrades are also good (can't wait to play with the album art bits). And the movie announcement was widely expected... and no mention of whether you can burn your purchases to a physical DVD (though someone will certainly find a way).

The new hardware piece for TV is intriguing... although a lot of people are already using Mac minis as media managers and media centers, this specialized box looks snazzy, and makes it Apple-style simple to get everything working easily.

Comment

Okay, never mind that weirld al CD, I want an iPod for my bday!
                              How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

I *love* it that iTunes is offering movies for d/l!!! About damned time!

And I think mamma needs her an itty bitty shuffle. It looks like something that I can exercise with!

I {heart} apple.

pax

Comment

Working...
                                X