X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HT's Photo Sharing Thread - Chapter 4

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    A Seattle sunset (from Shilshole Bay, nw part of town) last Saturday ---
    I don't recall seeing you post pics here very often, LL. This one is very relaxing. I love the reflection and ripples in the water.
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Nice shots of the ships, Mel. I like the reflection of the yellow smokestack on the ocean.

Great sunset, Leo. Suitable for framing, I'd say.

Nothing like sitting on the lanai, MM.

Integlspwr, nice pics of your sports car.

Here's a few from 2 weekends ago at Waimea Valley. It's opened up again.

Comment

Two more from Waimea Valley and one from Chinatown, inside the center courtyard at Mauna Kea Marketplace.

Comment

More from Chinatown. 1 - This carving made me smile, so I took it's picture. 2 - People enjoying a store-front produce market. 3 - These shrimp were next to a bag of those colorful fish, so they must be for keeping as pets?

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
            I don't recall seeing you post pics here very often, LL.
            I don't, because I pretty much gave up on photography years ago, when I discovered that the Alpha Female was much better at it than I. (I blame all the formal training I had - I think I try too hard to get the "perfect" shot, and thus miss the joy of just taking 'em.) So, I've convinced her to put some pictures on Photobucket, so I can post from time to time. That photo's hers, I should have noted.

Comment

I don't, because I pretty much gave up on photography years ago, when I discovered that the Alpha Female was much better at it than I. (I blame all the formal training I had - I think I try too hard to get the "perfect" shot, and thus miss the joy of just taking 'em.)
              Sorry to hear you got frustrated with photography. I can see what you mean by too much formal training ruining the fun.

Was your experience with film or digital? I know I would never have gotten into photography if it wasn't for digital and all the free "film". It lets you be experimental. Starting with a point-n-shoot helped too, cuz it's easy to carry around and whip out.

Anyways, tell AF it was a nice shot
              "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
              "

Comment

Was your experience with film or digital?
                Film. Mostly b+w Tri-X; loaded my own, built a couple darkrooms, did my own work for years. Not frustrated so much as just seeing right off that she had the better "eye."
                Anyways, tell AF it was a nice shot
                Did - she thanks you folks for the comments. Hoping to get her to let me post more.

Comment

I was on the Big Island last weekend. I had arranged to rent a house through an owner on VRBO.com. I got a voice-mail right before I got on the plane saying 'sorry, but we had already rented the place to someone else and got our wires crossed'. So when I landed I decided to call the Manago Hotel in Captain Cook and see if they had a room for the weekend. Turned out that I really liked the Manago. Perfect location, very inexpensive, lanai with an expansive view of the ocean, very clean. Fairly Spartan, no TV, no phone, thin walls. If you spend most of your time outside and just need a place to sleep and shower, this is where it's at. I'll stay there again and spend the money I save on a nice art object.

The gecko pics were taken down in South Kona. This noni bush was teaming with geckos.

Comment

Film. Mostly b+w Tri-X; loaded my own, built a couple darkrooms, did my own work for years. Not frustrated so much as just seeing right off that she had the better "eye."
                    Wow, you were really into it!

Well here's one last swing at a dead horse:

Give digital a try. Take hundreds of break-all-the-rules pictures of anything that catches your eye, so you can create one or two happy accidents. If you can recognize a happy accident, it means you have an "eye". It'll feel good to know that a cool picture (or just a cool corner of a picture) was taken by you. Reverse engineer how you made the shot and try to catch it again.

Two guys who think the "eye" can be learned: Patterson & Peterson

OK, OK. I'll give it a rest, now
                    Last edited by MyopicJoe; February 13, 2009, 09:53 PM.
                    "

Comment

Originally posted by Jim75 View Post
                      OK, now I'm really jealous! Is that how the picture came out of the camera or is that a composite? How did you get the color in the neon lights but still get so much of the building?

Comment

Amazing shots, Jim. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by asuhoru View Post
                          Amazing shots, Jim. Cheers.
                          Thanks, asuhoru.

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                          OK, now I'm really jealous! Is that how the picture came out of the camera or is that a composite? How did you get the color in the neon lights but still get so much of the building?
                          Thanks, GeckoGeek. Here is the original photo, as taken by the camera, with only sharpening added. It was taken at iso 800, handheld, with vibration reduction on. Aperture at 5.6, shutter speed at 1/10 sec, focal length equivalent of 28.5mm on a 35mm camera. In the first pic of this I posted, I had cropped it, tried to pull out a little of the red/orange tint, clarified it, and smoothed out the grain. In looking at the two now, the only processing I really needed to do was sharpen, crop, and clarify. Smoothing it out only reduced the sharpness.

Last edited by Jim75; February 14, 2009, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Re: HT's Photo Sharing Thread - Chapter 5

How was the exposure determined? Auto? Manual?

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                              How was the exposure determined? Auto? Manual?
                              This was taken on Manual. I shoot most shots on Manual. If I choose auto or shutter or aperture priority, it seems like too many times the camera's efforts to balance the exposure result in part of the photo being overexposed. You can sometimes bring details out of dark areas, but you can never bring details back into an overexposed area. I learned on a Nikon FM2, which is fully manual.

In photos with challenging lighting, it's good to 'bracket' shots. You may already know what this is, but in case you don't . . . Bracketing is taking an index shot of what you think the correct exposure will be and then taking one or more shots with the aperture or shutter speed progressively smaller/faster and one or more with the aperture or shutter speed progressively larger/slower. I burned up a lot of film doing this, but I got a lot of good shots in the process. Shots that would otherwise have been lost. I always felt like if I got a couple of really good shots out of a roll of 36, I was happy. But now with digital, and the ability to preview what you've taken, there's no reason not to take as many as is neccessary to get the exposure right.
                              Last edited by Jim75; February 14, 2009, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim75 View Post
                                This was taken on Manual. I shoot most shots on Manual.
                                That's brings up yet more questions: How do you picking your starting point? How do you pick your "bracket" (range and steps)?

I understand the theory, I'm looking to understand how you do it.

Comment

Working...
                                X