Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Star Trek

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
    ...my opinion that he's a scherazade with the talent to weave ever complicated tales that pull you in...but unlike the truly great story tellers, he lacks a matching ability to end such stories meaningfully.
    Oh. For a moment there, I thought you were talking about Brannon Braga ... or Rick Berman.

Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
      Oh. For a moment there, I thought you were talking about Brannon Braga ... or Rick Berman.

harharhar. *snort* yes, my dear fellow trekker, let's not hijack this thread/allow it to devolve by delving into the monstrosity that was ST: Enterprise.
      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

harharhar. *snort* yes, my dear fellow trekker, let's not hijack this thread/allow it to devolve by delving into the monstrosity that was ST: Enterprise.
        I'm just going to try and keep an open mind with Abrams' retelling of the original iconic Trek.

It's like having to read Jack Kirby's version of the X-Men and then Chris Claremont's version. (Don't ask me who took over, haven't read a comic book since Y2K hoopla).

Comment

As a suggestion you might want to use this thread to discuss the various Star Trek series, good or bad.

As far as this movie is concerned I don't know if this is a prequel or a reboot of the Star Trek universe. I guess one would know when the starting credits of this movie says "based on" or "inspired by".

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
            As far as this movie is concerned I don't know if this is a prequel or a reboot of the Star Trek universe.
            From the trailers, it's a little bit of both.

Originally posted by helen View Post
            I guess one would know when the starting credits of this movie says "based on" or "inspired by".
            From Paramount's POV -- who owns the Trek franchise -- they're banking it is "based on." And if Abrams did succeed in reviving it with a box-office hit, they're hoping for more.

Comment

Tiberius
              The Tiberius cologne, named in honor of the Mirror Universe James T. Kirk’s challenges users to "Boldly Go" with a perfume described as being spiked with "notes of freshness and sensuality." According to Genki Wear, the perfume has sweet citron zest, black pepper, and cedar as its top notes (top notes refers to those scents that are noticeable first) and warm vanilla, white musk, and sandalwood as its base notes (scents perceived last, usually about a half hour after application). Genki Wear promises that "Tiberius Cologne for men is difficult to define and impossible to refuse" which is also a pretty good description of the Mirror Kirk himself.

Red Shirt
              Genki’s "Red Shirt" cologne (whose tag line "Because Tomorrow May Never Come" is priceless) celebrates the sacrifices of those often nameless crew of the USS Enterprise. Described appropriately as a cologne for those with a "devotion to living each day as it could be your last" the cologne has top notes of green mandarin, bergamot, and lavender, with base notes of leather and grey musk.
              Did anybody see the products that are coming out with the movie? The colognes from Genki are my favorites . I need to get my wife Pon Farr
              Ponn Farr
              The most risqué titled of the new Star Trek fragrances is "Ponn Farr" which is a perfume designed to "drive him wild." It should only be used once every seven years (okay, that isn’t true). Named for the Vulcan mating ritual first introduced in the episode "Amok Time," this perfume is one of the newly designed products meant to appeal to female fans. More details and an image on Ponn Farr will be available soon.
              They come out next month...

source
              Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
              Flickr

Comment

A fourth trailer is out on the Apple Movie Trailer site and is being shown at the Ward Theater during the showing of the Watchmen movie.

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
                  Did anybody see the products that are coming out with the movie? The colognes from Genki are my favorites . I need to get my wife Pon Farr

They come out next month...
                  And once every seven years.

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
                    I need to get my wife Pon Farr
                    They come out next month.
                    And once every seven years.
                    *cocks her best spock-brow*

okay, after reading this entry from slate, i hereby declare that i will see the movie, despite my misgivings. apparently, the story is one of those alternate reality sort of things where some evil romulan who blames spock for the destruction of his planet goes back, back, back waaaaaaaaay back in time to kill spock to sate his thirst for revenge.

said evil romulan is played by eric bana. mmmm mmmm mmmm! he is, in my opinion, one of the few men on this earth (besides my own eric, of course) as compelling to me as an vina was to captain pike.
                    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

cynsaligia, thanks for the link!

I, too, had my reservations-- but after reading the Slate review, J.J. Abrams' interpretation of this "alternate reality / prequel" actually sounds quite promising.

We'll just have to see for ourselves, won't we? *hopeful*
                      To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Comment

Originally posted by musubi View Post
                        cynsaligia, thanks for the link!

I, too, had my reservations-- but after reading the Slate review, J.J. Abrams' interpretation of this "alternate reality / prequel" actually sounds quite promising.

We'll just have to see for ourselves, won't we? *hopeful*
                        I'm kinda worried about the actor who will play Scotty. He doesn't have that much hair on him. Does that mean he'll be wearing a wig for appearance's sake in the sequel?

I mean, you can find Scottish actors with a full coif.

Comment

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/getb...-then-now.html

An update on the original cast who are still living.

Comment

I went to the 7pm showing of Star Trek at the Ward Theater today. The attendance was decent but not crowded (I am guessing it was 30 to 40% filled).

As far as the movie itself overall it's average and decent, there are some good parts to it, some stuff that doesn't make sense but it doesn't hit you until after you seen the movie.

Comment

I'm kinda worried about the actor who will play Scotty. He doesn't have that much hair on him. Does that mean he'll be wearing a wig for appearance's sake in the sequel?

I mean, you can find Scottish actors with a full coif.
                              SCENE FROM THE CUTTING ROOM FLOOR OF STAR TREK:

scotty (looking down wryfully at the clumps of hair in his hands): eem sorrrrrrry kepten! ay jest can't hold her all tuhgethur!

Comment

SCENE FROM THE CUTTING ROOM FLOOR OF STAR TREK:

scotty (looking down wryfully at the clumps of hair in his hands): eem sorrrrrrry kepten! ay jest can't hold her all tuhgethur!
                                ROFLMAO!!!

*kicks feet, gasping for air*
                                To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Comment

Working...
                                X