Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Not much action here. Why for?

Originally posted by Amati View Post
    I've noticed lately that when I do a search for "Hawaii threads", the website no longer shows up in the list of results. Nor did it show in the first three pages of searching when I did "Hawaiithreads". It used to be one of the top results. It also did not show up in the first three pages of "Hawaii forum".

Is traffic so slow around here now that it is not even being recognized by the search engines? It would now be mighty hard for a new person to find the website.
    Thankfully, I managed to find it during a Google search. On something like page 7 or 8. But still, it's there! I'm always glad to find more places where I can learn about Hawaii. I've wanted to live there for as long as I can remember (my parents were on Oahu while my dad was in the Army in the late '50s, and I came w/in 2 months of being born, there). Nowadays, since my husband and I are no longer encumbered by minor children, and his salary is sufficient to easily support us both, even in expensive Hawaii (or San Francisco, or Los Angeles, if we so desired), I'm seriously researching it and trying to convince him (from cold and wet Scotland) that he'd undoubtedly like several of the climate zones on the Big Island :-). We shall see!
    "In the end, only kindness matters."

Comment

Oh, then I just did not look far enough ... page 7. Well, at least it still shows up.
      Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

I'm logging in today to post in an old topic thread, and came across this one. I did a quick check, and in the past year there there have only been 2 introductions. One person posted just once, and the other person is still around after about 5 months.

I admit that I have practically abandoned even remembering to visit this site. It was looking for where to post about a particular topic that made me remember HT. Gosh, in days past, I'd sometimes check in multiple times a day.

Anyway, the OP's question is still valid: "Not much action here. Why for?"

Comment

I can't speak on anyone's behalf as to why people don't post here as much as it was in years past, mainly because I just don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
            I can't speak on anyone's behalf as to why people don't post here as much as it was in years past, mainly because I just don't know.

It would be nice if it were a more active forum. I think this is a wonderful place to hang out.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalHawaiian View Post
              It would be nice if it were a more active forum. I think this is a wonderful place to hang out.
              And there's some great folks here as well.
              Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
              ~ ~
              Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
              Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
              Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

I just checked in after almost three years. I talk to most of us that have migrated over to Facebook...same flaming...at least we know each other by our given names at birth. Keeps things moderately civil...except for this presidential election. LOL!!!
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalHawaiian View Post

Many of us old timers left because the flaming was getting intolerable. I'm back just to see if it's changed any.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Now granted I'm no prolific poster, but I do come on here weekly to see what the latest conversations are. For the first time in the 8yrs since I joined, when I clicked on the new or latest link I came up with zero results. No new posts by anyone this week?
                    ....yikes!

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                      Many of us old timers left because the flaming was getting intolerable. I'm back just to see if it's changed any.
                      Anyway, yes it is calmer around here, but its also sloooooow.

Comment

Originally posted by Expat Kamaaina View Post
                        ...I think that this site has lost the interest of many, including myself, since many of the posts have become nonsensical and illogical. It is getting more and more difficult to find comments and expressions of opinions that are somewhat meaningful.

Expat Kamaaina,

I agree. Infact, I had made this same point clear to Admin many YEARS ago while Admin was allowing friends (way before they were designated as "moderators") to troll the threads and belittle any member who held a different opinion.

Complaining to Admin would only yield admonition to the complainant.

I even asked to copy and post Admins' response to my complaint in "Private Message" to the rest of the forum and was denied, probably because it was so blatantly bias that Admin KNEW it would have a negative effect.

I have already sent admin P/M notice of this (just today), but I expect this only to result in my banishment from this site and my posts on this issue to be edited or deleted.

If I had told you 4 years ago that every land-line ph. call , cell ph call, email you send, website you visit, and any post that you make online was being recorded and stored (by the US Government); you probably would have thought that I was a nut-case.

...and then Edward Snowden came along and courageously exposed it ALL

http://www.activistpost.com/2014/02/...trolls-on.html

So, you might want to ask yourself (considering that you read this before this post is deleted), Just WHO is it that keeps funding this website, because I've been a moderator on a similar site and it costs $1,000's per month in NL.

...and NOBODY is visiting this site.

Go figure.

Aloha,

W/M
                        Last edited by woodman; November 23, 2016, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by woodman View Post
                          Expat Kamaaina,

I agree. Infact, I had made this same point clear to Admin many YEARS ago while Admin was allowing friends (way before they were designated as "moderators") to troll the threads and belittle any member who held a different opinion.

Complaining to Admin would only yield admonition to the complainant.

I even asked to copy and post Admins' response to my complaint in "Private Message" to the rest of the forum and was denied, probably because it was so blatantly bias that Admin KNEW it would have a negative effect.

I have already sent admin P/M notice of this (just today), but I expect this only to result in my banishment from this site and my posts on this issue to be edited or deleted.

If I had told you 4 years ago that every land-line ph. call , cell ph call, email you send, website you visit, and any post that you make online was being recorded and stored (by the US Government); you probably would have thought that I was a nut-case.

...and then Edward Snowden came along and courageously exposed it ALL

http://www.activistpost.com/2014/02/...trolls-on.html

So, you might want to ask yourself (considering that you read this before this post is deleted), Just WHO is it that keeps funding this website, because I've been a moderator on a similar site and it costs $1,000's per month in NL.

...and NOBODY is visiting this site.

Go figure.

Aloha,

W/M
                          Another similar forum site I use pays $395/mo. Nearly $5k annual. It does make me wonder why HT keeps going considering the lack of participation?

I agree that in years past there were trolls (who instead of gaining interest for HT, they chased off posters instead). I do miss the days of having loyd of thread to check out and sometimes even LEARN something from, or just have a bit of fun.

As for communications being tracked, I've always figured that about everything was tracked by someone who was looking for something. Thankfully, "bad attitudes" isn't something that they are interested in ... or I'd be in trouble every now and again. ha.

Comment

I checked on new introductions...

In 2014, there were 10 new introductions. 9 did not post beyond 2014. The 10th posted only that year, except for one day in 2016 (they talked about their moving.)

In 2015, there were 3 new introductions. 2 hung out for just one day. the 3rd hung around for two days.

In 2016, there have been 2 new introductions. 1 was a 1-time-poster, and the other hung around for about 6 months but hasn't been back for awhile.

Compare those numbers to a decade ago, year of 2006, when there were about 200 new introductions that year.

Comment

While there were a few people that kept up a rant they had for an agenda, they were easy to avoid. I think the problem is the new social media, face book, twitter and the like. Some of the other web sites I followed have also seen a big decrease in participation. One had 150+ post a day and now is down to two or three a month.
                              The only one still active is frequented by the over 60 crowd that has not figured out Facebook (includes me).
                              I have a few websites myself, and they do not cost anywhere near $1k per month.
                              Those of us that would like to see the forum back in business again should just start posting again.
                              "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
                              Ayn Rand

Comment

68-Eldo, I agree that f/b & twitter are part of the problem, but believe me when I tell you that the current circumstance was a long time in the making.

Check out the opening post in this thread:

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                                Seriously!!! What's going on around this forum lately? It seems like most of the nice folks are consistantly being run off or badgered into a lurkers' existence because of a handful of mean, bitter s.o.b.'s who nitpick and naysay, criticize and attack, and generally bring their negativity and aggression/intimidation to so many threads. This site is way less interesting because of these 'children'.

Enough, I say!! Nice people unite!! Don't be scared off! Come back!!

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthr...hreads+funding

Comment

Working...
                                X