Peking duck!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peking duck!

To the HT Foodies...I have an inquiry from my friend on the BI. Which restaurant in Honolulu has the best Peking duck? TIA...

Re: Peking duck!

That’s an interesting question. Thirty years ago, I would have said Maple Garden. Back in those days just about every Chinese restaurants in Honolulu were Cantonese. Maple Garden was one of the few northern or Szechuan-style restaurants in town, and one of the first, if not the first, to offer peking duck. (It had to be ordered 24 hours in advance.) But since then, Maple Garden has changed owners numerous times and doesn’t have the reputation it once had. In the meantime, a lot more Chinese restaurants in Honolulu now offer northern/Szechuan-style dishes, including peking duck.

To complicate matters, a lot of people say you can’t get authentic peking duck in Hawaii. For one thing, around town it is just about always served in a steamed bun (a manapua-style bun), whereas an authentic peking duck is served in a pancake, a very flat pancake. Also, an authentic peking duck is composed of a crispy duck skin with very little meat (if any). Here in Hawaii, we tend to pile on the meat.

So, what would I recommend as the the restaurant that has the best peking duck in Honolulu? I honestly don’t know. I would like to suggest maybe Little Village Noodle House. But I really don’t know. Need to have suggestions from some real foodies here. We used to have a lot of foodies on HT, but they seemed to have stopped posting.

Comment

Thank you so much, Honoruru. What an education I just got on Peking duck! Funny you should mention LVNH. That was my suggestion to my friend with the disclaimer that I've never ordered the Peking duck.

I think a lot of former posters just got tired of the needless, negative replies they got. Such a shame.

Comment

I only had Peking Duck once here, and it wasn't very good. I googled and found a Yelp reviewer of the Kirin on Beretania writing: "I recommend the Peking duck, as Kirin is the ONLY place I've seen where a crepe is used instead of the bread."
        Greg

Comment

Thx Greg. You're a much better searcher than I! I got frustrated and gave up! Then I decided searching was something my friend could do herself since I wasn't coming up with any first hand experiences!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            I think a lot of former posters just got tired of the needless, negative replies they got.
            Let me offer these reasons why I didn't initially replied to this thread.

1) The places I tend to eat Chinesse food are U Choice In, Panda Express or Chopsticks Express, which are take out places, hardly the places to serve Peking Duck.
            2) For me I never been a fan of eating a duck, I tried in the past and I never got sick from eating a duck but honestly I prefer eating a chicken and/or a turkey over a duck.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
              I prefer eating a chicken and/or a turkey over a duck.
              Speaking of which, I noticed on the web that Costco last year had turduckens for sale, frozen.
              Greg

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                Let me offer these reasons why I didn't initially replied to this thread.
                But you're not a former poster, Helen...thank goodness!
                1) The places I tend to eat Chinesse food are U Choice In, Panda Express or Chopsticks Express, which are take out places, hardly the places to serve Peking Duck.
                2) For me I never been a fan of eating a duck, I tried in the past and I never got sick from eating a duck but honestly I prefer eating a chicken and/or a turkey over a duck.
                I'm with you on that. I like the taste of duck but it's too greasy.

Comment

Golden City in the Kapalama area have a decent Peking Duck. The skin is crispy and they serve it on a manapua like bun with julienned green onions and a plum sauce. They serve you the rest of the duck seperately. Actually there are a lot of Chinese restaurants that serve Peking Duck at least those in the Kalihi area, but none in the original style that Honoruru describes.

Comment

Working...
                  X