Police and fireworks scofflaws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Police and fireworks scofflaws

I'd rather have HPD focus on catching the drunk drivers tnat seem to come out of the woodwork on New Year's day.

Comment

We had something hit our roof (the flat portion, fortunately, not the shake section) and shower our back deck with sparks. I went out to the yard and found something which may or may not have been that particular thing; it was called a Whistler rocket. It had a six-inch tube attached to a long stick.

It's impossible to learn where it came from, given the number of people shooting these things off in my immediate neighborhood, but it scared my mother badly.

Why can't the idiot legislature show some courage and ban these things?
      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

A friend's dad is a retired HPD cop... he laughs because sometimes it's cops selling or buying the aerials.

Comment

Aerials are the most fun. Legalize 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by AlohaKine View Post
            Aerials are the most fun. Legalize 'em.
            Great fun until they burn someone's house down. That's why they're illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
              Great fun until they burn someone's house down. That's why they're illegal.
              Add to the general irresponsibility of the shooters the fact that they're likely boozed up on New Year's Eve and you've got a recipe for disaster.
              http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister View Post
                Add to the general irresponsibility of the shooters the fact that they're likely boozed up on New Year's Eve and you've got a recipe for disaster.
                My favorite one happened around the corner from me. Some guys in a old house were firing aerials. And their like 100 feet from a high rise. One mis-directed flight and it could easily land in someone's apartment.

Comment

So who's blowing fireworks tonight?

We've got a small arsenal of "paperless" firecrackers.

I'm willing to bet within a few years (or sooner) they're going to impose on them "paperless" fireworks with permit requirements. They may be paperless, but they sure do emit a ton of SMOKE.

A coworker of mine used to be a fireworks advocate, all for the right to burn 'em. Now that he has a newborn baby, he despises them.

The area in Hawaii Kai we're at is actually quite active with the aerial variety (who shot that?) lol. It usually gets a little smokey around here, but not that bad, since we're near the ocean, so the winds blow it out quickly. Hopefully trades will be good tonight.
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                    So who's blowing fireworks tonight?
                    There is a nut (or nuts) in Pauoa with an arsenal of what sound like some serious explosives. And they have a lot of them. I've been hearing maybe 20 or 30 a day.

These things are LOUD. There goes another. And another. The things can't possibly be legal, and are most certainly IEDs. The lunatics setting them off must know what they're doing, because I haven't heard any ambulance sirens yet. How are they getting away with this?
                    Don't be mean,
                    try to help.

Comment

In the interest of safety, Alohakine says it's poor practice to;

-Ingite fireworks while wearing or holding them.
                      -Ignite fireworks inside your home.
                      -Use fireworks inside or in a vehicle.
                      -Discharge aerial fireworks from a moving vehicle.
                      -Place fireworks in a container such as a can or bottle.
                      -Relight short wicked fireworks or "duds".
                      -Play with fireworks when drunk or high.
                      -Engage in fireworks dares for money or otherwise.
                      -Scoff the law that it's a felony and risky as hell and make our own homemade fireworks to enjoy if you're still alive.
                      -Replace / reconfigure fireworks in metal tubes instead of cardboard. ( see above )
                      -Obtain materials / intructions online to make your own "professional display fireworks". ( see above )
                      -Ignite aerial fireworks where overhead obstructions (trees, eaves, wires, etc.) may interfere with trajectory into open air space.
                      -Ignite aerials while holding them and then throw them to "see which way they go"
                      -Ignite your aerials set on a low or flat trajectory.
                      -Throw non-aerials from height such as tall buildings to get an "aerial effect" without having aerials.
                      -Place multiple fireworks into a fire to "cook them off"
                      -Fail to read or care about the directions on the item.

So lets all avoid these stupid things and be safe and sane this evening. Mahalo - Alohakine.
                      Last edited by AlohaKine; December 31, 2007, 03:55 PM.

Comment

At times like these, we deserve to get hit with a North Korean missile.

Sorry, not liking fireworks these days, except if a 10,000 is wrapped around my idiot neighbor's private parts ... and I'm holding the lighter.
                        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by AlohaKine View Post
                          In the interest of safety, Alohakine says it's poor practice to;

-Ingite fireworks while wearing or holding them.
                          -Ignite fireworks inside your home.
                          I'm sincerely hoping my idiot neighbors would do that, regardless of the idiots' age. (Yes, it is even more fun seeing pilau kids in pain.)
                          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

For all these negitive fireworks comments, there didn't seem to be a boycott of them last time as was at a store that sold them. Folks were buying them up at a steady pace. Kids where setting them off for hours next to my girlfriends house but we just passed it off as youthful fun. I know I played with them as a kid, so how could I be put off by it now. Kind of reminded me of colorfull childhood days.

Comment

The neighborhood noise is starting to ramp up with firecrackers. I expect it to be one heckuva lot noiser than NYE in Makaha!!!

Since I haven't purchased or had the urge to purchase fireworks since my kids were kids I'll admit I don't know what's legal and what's not! Just a few minutes ago several aerials went off on what appears to be a low roof top on Kapiolani Blvd. ewa of Atkinson, near the Pan Am building. Hmmm...is that the building that houses Hawaiian Brian's? I could see them from my condo. I should also be able to see the ATM fireworks...should I still be awake at midnight! Gotta get a good night's sleep in preparation for tomorrow's game and expending every ounce of energy my body's capable of manufacturing!

G O W A R R I O R S [insert legal fireworks explosion of your choice here!]
                              (a little purple for good luck!)

Comment

I'm very ambivalent about fireworks. In my childhood, I loved them! It was what New Year's was all about. I even got arrested as a juvenile for setting off illegal fireworks (though it was a trumped up affair--a military family that was not used to fireworks who reported it to the police, much to the dismay of the local families in the neigborhood).

Now, I have a bad case of asthma that returned from long ago. I still love the excitement, the sounds of fireworks exploding, but not if it triggers an asthmatic attack.

Comment

Working...
                                X