This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

I am the mellowest driver I know. I seldom lose my cool behind the wheel, and I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, including those people who jump in right before the freeway onramp at the top of Piikoi, cutting in front of everyone who stayed in the correct lane.

But this really annoys me. It's Nimitz Highway. It's five in the afternoon. We're driving toward in the Diamond-Head direction and right at Keawe Street, too late to make the lane switch, someone decides he or she wants to turn left. He or she can't get the car over, so his or her butt is still in the lane with the green light, while the offending driver waits for the left-turn arrow to change! Meanwhile, cars whiz past us in the right lane, gleefully passing us unfortunate souls in the middle lane.

*sigh*

Look, people. I know it sucks to miss the street you intended to turn on, but if your solution to the problem inconveniences twenty drivers vs. just you, it's not an appropriate solution. Gr.
    Last edited by scrivener; September 5, 2007, 08:20 PM.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
      Look, people. I know it sucks to miss the street you intended to turn on, but if your solution to the problem inconveniences twenty drivers vs. just you, it's not an appropriate solution. Gr.
      Amen to that. That is just so rude.

I’ve been known to go a mile down the road to safely get back to the turn I missed.
      "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
      Ayn Rand

Comment

I almost never have a peeve, much less a Pet Peeve Of The Day. But today I do have a peeve, and it is that I find the HT screen name "notahaole" to be somewhat offensive.
        I hope the individual has the class and the wisdom to change it.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

i would have honked, if only so that the offending driver might think twice the next time s/he wonders whether s/he should squeeze his/her okole in to make a turn.
          superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Oh gawd! I hate this too. My worst intersection to see this happen all the time is Piikoi / Young and Piikoi / Beretania... especially the latter. I always drive up in the lane that I know will allow me to make the left. I cue up waiting in line with the other cars. The car forward moves up a bit, I am not looking at the car on the right hand land adjacent to mine... but suddenly that car wants to cut in front of me? WTF????

I am in the CORRECT lane and you are not!!!! The signs with the arrows about a block away from the intersection clearly marks which lanes you should be in to make a left, go straight or go right. Why do these scofflaws feel they can zoom up on the right lane and then suddenly cut into your lane because they want to turn left but were in the wrong lane to begin with? This irks me!!!

Thanks Scriv for bringing up one of my pet driving peeves... happens quite often in morning traffic.

Another peeve is why at some key intersections do they make the duration of the left turn arrow so SHORT??? At Keeaumoku/Beretania the left arrow only stays on for about 3 seconds before it turns yellow and then back to red. It usually allows only 1 or 2 cars to legally turn left before everyone else trying to make it is in violation. And at that same intersection you also got the scofflaws who cross from across Keeaumoku and through the intersection but not quite making it so that the butt of one or two vehicles are still sticking out on Beretania after we get the left turn green or even worst the Beretania gets the full-on green.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by 68-eldo View Post
              I’ve been known to go a mile down the road to safely get back to the turn I missed.
              Same here. That just makes me want to get a Horn Blaster for my compact car and use it.

---------------------------------------------

And what pisses me off is that some things can bite you from the rear at the most inopportune time. I think I'll get let go from my first computer repair job because my manager has bad feelings about me working two computer jobs (even though one is 'for the military' and the other 'for civilians').
              How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by adrian View Post
                Same here. That just makes me want to get a Horn Blaster for my compact car and use it.
                I wouldn't mind the PA system! Could really put the 'spotlight' on the offending car with that!!!
                And what pisses me off is that some things can bite you from the rear at the most inopportune time. I think I'll get let go from my first computer repair job because my manager has bad feelings about me working two computer jobs (even though one is 'for the military' and the other 'for civilians').
                I was wondering about that being a possible conflict in someone's eyes!

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
                  i would have honked, if only so that the offending driver might think twice the next time s/he wonders whether s/he should squeeze his/her okole in to make a turn.
                  Originally posted by adrian View Post
                  right on, adrian! eric and i wholeheartedly agree. eric's titan has had a similar multi-toned horn system of four trumpets since 2005:

Originally posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
                  Preach, 68-eldo!I'm forgiving of those traffic clots only if they're considerate enough to turn on their hazards. Otherwise, I give them a gentle 152dB reminder to drive aloha.
                  however, keep in mind, the smaller your car, the more complicated the install is gonna be. and you'll have to think of where the tank is gonna go. a system's individual horns vary in size, and the biggest one eric has is about two feet long. the horns were placed at the very front of the truck, under the hood, pointing downward and forward. i'm planning on buying a MINI cooper s toward the end of the year and i would love a similar system for it but can't imagine how it's gonna fit...unless i did something completely ludicrous and mounted them on the roof.

eric's horns are quite loud (duh, 152 db!). one evening, another driver didn't pay attention to how the lanes move to the left when you are on piikoi, crossing kapiolani, and he was on track to mash his car into the side of the truck (you have to be a pretty bad driver if you almost knock your own vehicle into something as big as a titan). so eric honked at the guy, and the errant driver very quickly corrected himself. immediately afterwards, eric's phone rang. it was his coworker, who was at the mai tai bar. it turned out she heard the horn even at that great distance.

you should know that tooting your horn--whether stock or an airhorn-- for more than two minutes non-stop is unlawful, as is tooting it intermittently for more than a twenty minute period.
                  superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

you should know that tooting your horn--whether stock or an airhorn-- for more than two minutes non-stop is unlawful, as is tooting it intermittently for more than a twenty minute period.
                    illegal, shmillegal, whatevahz. In Hawaii, blowing your horn to that effect is akin to giving someone the MAJOR bird, and could instigate a road rage incident.

Speaking of which, a man on the big island lost an eye this past Friday due to such senseless behavior.
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Not to mention that it is only to be used to signal a warning. ("Friendly" beeps are unlawful.)

However, I have to wonder how legal loud horns are. I mean air horns, or truck horns are one thing, but train horns?

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                        illegal, shmillegal, whatevahz. In Hawaii, blowing your horn to that effect is akin to giving someone the MAJOR bird, and could instigate a road rage incident.

Speaking of which, a man on the big island lost an eye this past Friday due to such senseless behavior.
                        the guy was about to slam HIS car into us, and you're telling me that we shouldn't have honked, to warn him of the impending danger which he clearly (a) did not care about or (b) was unaware of until we honked? we should have taken the hit?

and are you saying that when people do the thing that scriv described, that they themselves are not, effectively, "giving the bird" to everyone else they inconvenience? and that they themselves are NOT causing a road hazard by driving the way they do?

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                        Not to mention that it is only to be used to signal a warning. ("Friendly" beeps are unlawful.)

However, I have to wonder how legal loud horns are. I mean air horns, or truck horns are one thing, but train horns?
                        we've never tooted that air horn for more than a second or two. trust me, when we've used it, the person immediately corrected whatever error they were making--which was (a) illegal (this includes ryan's costco situation,particularly if they don't have their hazards on) and/or (b) dangerous to us or other cars, so we find it an effective warning system (which is what horns are installed in our cars for, duh). additionally, there have been cops around when we've tooted it, and not once did we get pulled over nor warned.

we're not the only ones in town with a regular vehicle who have that horn installed.

i've said this before--as has eric--whether you like it or not, we'll honk. go do a search for the thread about honking if you haven't already seen it. in the meanwhile, you guys can keep going on with your disagreements about honking. i was only responding to what scriv said and what adrian said.

have a great day!

Comment

I woulda loved the PA system today! I was stopped at a red light at Paki and Monserrat when a lady wanted to cross from one side of Paki to the other. The crosswalk was 4 car lengths away but...NO...she insisted on stopping traffic both ways to avoid walking the extra 40 or so feet. She had to stop directly in front of my car to avoid getting hit by a car that didn't see her in the next lane. Woulda been fun to broadcast loudly..."You're crossing the street illegally!" while she was such a captive audience!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                            I woulda loved the PA system today! I was stopped at a red light at Paki and Monserrat when a lady wanted to cross from one side of Paki to the other. The crosswalk was 4 car lengths away but...NO...she insisted on stopping traffic both ways to avoid walking the extra 40 or so feet. She had to stop directly in front of my car to avoid getting hit by a car that didn't see her in the next lane. Woulda been fun to broadcast loudly..."You're crossing the street illegally!" while she was such a captive audience!
                            Heh heh. I can just see it.

Many moons ago I used to ride my horse at that exact place. We used to race up the side of the zoo on Paki Avenue.

People here on the mainland use their horns much more than people back home, and at the least little thing.
                            Aloha,
                            Mokihana

Comment

Originally posted by Mokihana View Post
                              Heh heh. I can just see it.[...]
                              If it'd been a guy crossing illegally and standing in front of my car I might've blasted..."Hey, your fly's unzipped.".
                              People here on the mainland use their horns much more than people back home, and at the least little thing.
                              Yep...horns are an accepted method of communication on the mainland, be it positive or negative and everything in between!

Comment

Grr. Criminals who steal your Visa card number (debit, not credit), spoof a card, and go on a shopping spree in Brooklyn, New York, draining your checking account in one afternoon, something only discovered the next day when you try to take someone out to lunch. They gassed up at Exxon, ate at McDonald's, bought some liquor at a liquor store, then shopped for home furnishings until the card finally declined.

Now I have to wait for everything to officially post, file a claim, then wait 10-14 business days to hopefully get all my money back. I'm pretty sure I wasn't spending $600 at Linens & Things in New York last night...

Comment

Working...
                                X